JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heard fairy early yesterday that the trains are linked to computers through GPS and that the trains with these systems cannot go above recommended speed in cases like this. The system would over ride anything the conductor was doing to slow the train to proper speed. The problem here? This route didn't have the system in place. Yet, I guess. o_O

It was on the news that although installed, the ATC [automated train control that I mentioned in my post #36 above] was not in use.

In Europe and most of the rest of the world, passenger safety is paramount, sometimes, in excess. In Japan, the ENTIRE rail routing of the Shinkansen - north and south out of Tokyo - is checked and tested EVERY day prior to operations by yellow car train, known in Japan as 'Doctor Train' because it fixes all the faults before the passenger trains run. How Amtrak can run ANY train, let alone THE inaugural train, without ATC in full operation is something that only they can answer.

tac

Again, not wanting to diminish the mourning period.

In Spain, the engineer had ignored the signs, causing a horrendous high-speed derailment into a concrete retaining wall, and 79 people lost their lives.

Here in WA, you would seem, pending the investigation, that your engineer did the same thing, since there is a 30mph sign sited around half a mile downline, and another one clearly visible on the new helicopter footage that has to be less than a couple of hundred yards from the tangent/curve intersection.

Robots.

A Robot would not have missed the sign. A programmer may have missed telling the robot about the sign, but the code would have run. And clearly that case in Spain, the one in Boston, the one in .... puts light on the need to get rid of the operators. The previous one, IIRC 2015 Philly, was determined to be operator error - Operator overwhelmed, lost situational awareness. Oh, they have an automatic system, ATC, to prevent that ... why not near Dupont?

On MAX, light rail in PDX, they built in a safety system to force the train to stop at each stop. It might have momentum and go thru a bit, but stop it will. OR actually won't. When the maintenance guys are returning the train to depot, they just override the switch and the train blows past each stop. If there were no maintenance operators, the trains would follow safety rules.

This was my first thought when I heard this morning. That's why I wonder how long it will be before they admit, assuming they know, what happened.
They have not said a word about all the protest that have been going on down there last week and the week before people blocking the roads to the Port

It was on the news that although installed, the ATC [automated train control that I mentioned in my post #36 above] was not in use.

In Europe and most of the rest of the world, passenger safety is paramount, sometimes, in excess. In Japan, the ENTIRE rail routing of the Shinkansen - north and south out of Tokyo - is checked and tested EVERY day prior to operations by yellow car train, known in Japan as 'Doctor Train' because it fixes all the faults before the passenger trains run. How Amtrak can run ANY train, let alone THE inaugural train, without ATC in full operation is something that only they can answer.

tac

It is because AMTRAK gets a exemption from the law that says they have to use the ATC controls. Also, AMTRAK can only be forced to pay a maximum of 200 million for any lawsuits from a crash or accident.

Oh and like the post office they do not have to make a profit or break even.

<broken link removed>

Prior to Monday's inaugural ride, WSDOT had conducted weeks of inspection and testing, the agency said.

Mayor Anderson: "Come back when there is that accident, and try to justify not putting in those safety enhancements, or you can go back now and advocate for the money to do it, because this project was never needed and endangers our citizens," he said,

It is because AMTRAK gets a exemption from the law that says they have to use the ATC controls. Also, AMTRAK can only be forced to pay a maximum of 200 million for any lawsuits from a crash or accident.

Oh and like the post office they do not have to make a profit or break even.
For those that don't know Amtrak went bankrupt year's ago the government has been funding it to keep the libral agenda going on the mass transit system

This, being the inaugural run, it should have been full of politicians and their contractor buddies, but as the local mayor said,"this project was never needed and endangers our citizens". I guess they thought he was right and just showed up for ribbon cutting and then got back into their limos.

Lots of people, especially on the east coast use the trains for commuting so I am guess AMTRAK exists to keep people working?

Let the free market run then and allow the company to privitize routes or tracks. I am 100% sure that this would raise the prices of tickets but why should americans be forced to subsidize someone elses commute.

This, being the inaugural run, it should have been full of politicians and their contractor buddies, but as the local mayor said,"this project was never needed and endangers our citizens". I guess they thought he was right and just showed up for ribbon cutting and then got back into their limos.
They were all on the train on the other run this was not the first run it was just the first one in the morning

Do you use roads? If so, I and others are paying for the roads you use. Same with the trains.
They are pushing more and more taxes on us that DRIVE cars to pay for mass transit up here is Seattle they are trying to make every road a toll road they want to put a tracking device in every car to make you pay for every mile you drive

yes, I use the roads... and "I" personally pay into the maintance of them by buying gas which I am charged a state and federal gas tax. I actaully pay the second highest gas tax in the nation for probably the worst roads I have driven on, and I am orginally from CA. I also pay federal taxes that are given to the state for road work grants.

If I would ride the train then I would expect the revenue from my ticket to go to the maintance of the trainis and tracks. I do not expect someone in texas to pay towards my commute.

They pushed every one to buy hybrids and electric cars but didn't account for the loss of money from the gas tax so now they want a pay by mile deal IT NEVER ENDS ... MORE MONEY MORE MONEY MORE MONEY

They pushed every one to buy hybrids and electric cars but didn't account for the loss of money from the gas tax so now they want a pay by mile deal IT NEVER ENDS ... MORE MONEY MORE MONEY MORE MONEY

If they do that, you can pay no gas tax. They will need to caculate your milage...so there are a couple wires you can add a swtich to...to turn off your power to your dash and it will not record milage. I doubt they will be able to attach something to your car to monitor your driving.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top