JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
100% wife's fault. I had the jeans I wore that day draped over the gun cabinet in the bedroom with my spare cz mag still in the cargo pocket. I was going to wear them again that week before washing. But my wife saw them and decided to wash them. she emptied my regular pockets. Wallet and whatever else was in there but somehow missed the 15rd mag in the cargo pocket. So caught it after washing them as she was transfering them to the dryer. So what say you, ammo bad? Never washed ammo before. Google searches are torn. I'd think the general consensus would be since its carry ammo not to risk it but it's probably ok. If anyone's curious its sig sauer elite performance 115gr.

I wouldn't wait a while, but yeah I'd shoot it. When I was in Auxiliary Security, if it was range day, rain or shine, we would go and our ammo was wet sometimes.

If you aren't absolutely destitute and cannot afford new ammo, I'd say don't use it as carry ammo
Shoot it off next time you're at the range.
And bring a rod and a hammer just in case.

The aquatic bad boys AKA the Navy Seals don't seem too worried about exposing their ammo to the tide...

That said if it were me I'd just swap that ammo out with fresh and burn the cleansed ammo on the next range visit.

100% wife's fault. I had the jeans I wore that day draped over the gun cabinet in the bedroom with my spare cz mag still in the cargo pocket. I was going to wear them again that week before washing. But my wife saw them and decided to wash them. she emptied my regular pockets. Wallet and whatever else was in there but somehow missed the 15rd mag in the cargo pocket. So caught it after washing them as she was transfering them to the dryer. So what say you, ammo bad? Never washed ammo before. Google searches are torn. I'd think the general consensus would be since its carry ammo not to risk it but it's probably ok. If anyone's curious its sig sauer elite performance 115gr.

I would not be worried about shooting it. Probably not carry it but it should be fine. Ammo is water tight. Back when I first started loading kid my Wife was watching grabbed a handful of my re loaded .45 ammo and tossed it in the toilet. Stuff was in the trap for days. Could not figure out why damn thing would not work. Finally unbolted it took it outside to run a snake from the back. Out pops the ammo. I washed it off and took it next trip out of curiosity. Damn stuff worked fine. They make spear guns for killing things under water that use different calibers of ammo.

We'd have ammo go thru the washing machines fairly often when I was in the Army...and it would would still work.
You were supposed to turn in all ammo etc...but being young GI's , that didn't always happen...:eek::D
Andy

The old saying "better safe than sorry" comes to mind.

My "vote", as said previously, swap it out with fresh and take those to the range next time you go.

I would also add, give the magazine a good cleaning and dry. Then some lube. Don't want rust to start in on your spring.

Some ammo is sealed better than other. Military ammo is typically sealed very well. I was given a handful of .30 carbine rounds that had been buried in someone's driveway for decades.

There were two USGI magazines that were mostly rusted away, literally half missing, and a few rounds in the remains. For kicks I cleaned up one round, scraped off the grime and heavy tarnish, to find the headstamp. It was WWII. Then for curiosity I pulled the bullet. The inside was shiny and the powder looked fresh! I know some of you will judge me for this, but I put it back together and shot it. It worked like a new one. Admittedly that's pushing the extreme limits of "how long will ammo last".

On the other hand, I pick up a fair number of live rounds off the ground at the range. They're someone else's dropped ammo and often reloads. I always pull them down for components. In the winter some of them are typically wet inside, so water definitely can seep in if they're not sealed.

Quality ammo and a short time in the washer, they're probably fine, but I'd agree with the rest who say shoot them at the range, but don't depend on them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top