JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had heard this before that WD-40 is a ammo killer. The story I was told is that it ruins the primers. ????

E

Any kind of oil can, if it gets in. When growing up I had heard all my life that WD would kill ammo. Then some gun rag, think it was an early issue of Gun Tests did an article. Took baby food jars and soaked ammo in WD40, Breakfree and an earlier version of Breakfree, Triflon. The WD did nothing. The Teflon based stuff did kill some and make some squibs. I was so sure they were wrong I did it myself. Got the same results. I never was big on WD for guns anyway so no matter. It did make me get more careful with lube on my guns though.

All I know is what the WD40 did to my entire case of .22 ammo. It must not have a good seal at the bullet.
I would have to guess on .22 ammo that would be where it would have to get in. I have come across quite a bit of .22 ammo that had a noticeable "play" where the slug was in the case. Guessing some of it is not put together nearly as tight as everything else.

My experience has been that .22lr ammo tends to be more sensitive to moisture. I had a box once that I forgot in the trunk of my car for a few months. When I found them they looked OK, but had a lot of misfires.

100% wife's fault. I had the jeans I wore that day draped over the gun cabinet in the bedroom with my spare cz mag still in the cargo pocket. I was going to wear them again that week before washing. But my wife saw them and decided to wash them. she emptied my regular pockets. Wallet and whatever else was in there but somehow missed the 15rd mag in the cargo pocket. So caught it after washing them as she was transfering them to the dryer. So what say you, ammo bad? Never washed ammo before. Google searches are torn. I'd think the general consensus would be since its carry ammo not to risk it but it's probably ok. If anyone's curious its sig sauer elite performance 115gr.

Now that you know they are good, you can use them in your carry gun without worry.

Mike

I test out all my carry ammo the same way:

Bang! That one's good...
Bang! That one's good...
Bang! That one's good...
Bang! That one's good...
Bang! That one's good...

I test all my matches too, before going camping. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top