JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to get some opinions on this question - Would you store ammo in the same room as your natural gas hot water heater? Room is 3.5' x 5' and it's a standard 50 gallon unit. I seem to think it's not the best idea, but I know others that are arguing otherwise.

Thanks -
Scott

IMHO, if you store your ammo in metal ammo cans that seal you should be OK. The experts say anytime you have a house fire and your ammo is in sealed metal containers there is always a higher risk of explosion. My fire fighter buddies say most of the time the ammo will just "cook off" a round at a time and not explode. There is no risk if you do not have a fire. Just keep the ammo safe from the possibility of increased humidity.

If your water heater blows you will want to make sure your ammo is protected in water tight containers like metal ammo cans.

Again, this is just IMHO and from talking to my fire fighting buddies (hose draggers).

I have a fire proof safe if you want to store it here! Actually I believe that gas water heaters are pretty safe these days, but how about this, call your gas provider and see how they feel about it. Good luck!

Ditto on the ammo cans.

That's a pretty tight space to have the ammo in with a heat source. I would not be worried about the fire danger as much the effects of the heat I would be subjecting the ammo to. Powder lasts a long time in a cool dry place. What are the temperature swings in that room with the cycling of the water heater??

Thanks for the prompt response. I'd say it hovers around 65-70 degrees in the room because it has louvers that go into my garage for it to breathe.

Scott[/QUOT

That doesn't sound bad at all. As long as the room doesn't get too hot or has large temperature swings I would thing you'de be ok. I'de try to keep the ammo in sealed ammo cans or at least off the floor in case the water heater springs a leak.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top