JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Detroit pastor shoots, kills hammer-wielding church intruder
Published October 19, 2015
FoxNews.com
Facebook2912 Twitter348 livefyre459 Email Print

FOX21019.jpg
Cops said a pastor at City of God church in Detroit shot a man who was threatening him. (FOX2)

A pistol-packing pastor shot and killed a man who was allegedly trying to attack him with a brick on Sunday in the vestibule of a Detroit church, police said.

Cops say Deante Smith, 25, attacked the unidentified pastor and threatened several parishioners of The City of God church with a brick and hammer, FOX2reported. Police said the attack was not random; the pastor and Smith knew each other and the two have had problems in the past.

Assistant Detroit Police Chief Steve Dolunt said a previous police report had been filed against Smith, The Detroit Free Press reported.

"The pastor pulled out his Glock and fired several shots"

- Steve Dolunt, asst. Detroit police chief

"The pastor had had issues with the man before," Dolunt told the Detroit News. "He had been threatening to do him bodily harm. He walked into the service and went after the pastor with a brick. The pastor pulled out his Glock and fired several shots. I think he hit him four or five times, and the man died."

Sunday's incident occurred just before 2 p.m. as church was ending, Detroit Police Sgt. Cassandra Lewis told WWJ.

"We're not sure at this point whether the man had mental problems or what," Dolunt said. "It's still under investigation."

No one else was hurt during the episode, according to FOX2. The pastor has been questioned by police.

City of God is a non-denominational church, according to its Facebook page.

"The reality is, things can happen anywhere now," City Councilman Andre Spivey told the Detroit News. "[Church] is a haven of rest and safety…when you cannot be safe in God's place of worship, where can you be safe?"

Detroit, nation's largest Muslim population.

"The reality is, things can happen anywhere now," City Councilman Andre Spivey told the Detroit News. "[Church] is a haven of rest and safety…when you cannot be safe in God's place of worship, where can you be safe?"

I've recently been to two different churches where there are armed men, carrying concealed and not known to the congregations, who's job it is to enjoy the sermon while being ready to take action should similar events unfold during worship. Thank God for them.

years ago I read a book made-up of obsolete laws
The first law mentioned was from RI (?)
"Every man traveling to church shall carry a fire lock or a pike, sword, axe, club."

I know in the church that I attend, I personally know of at least 8 men and women who are carrying they concealed handgun. And they are all spread out in the auditorium by design...

- Steve Dolunt, asst. Detroit police chief

The pastor pulled out his Glock and fired several shots. I think he hit him four or five times, and the man died."

No one else was hurt during the episode, according to FOX2. The pastor has been questioned by police.

Sounds like the good pastor has embraced the concept of gun control.

Hm I have n link but saw a news vid yesterday updating this story - the deceased was said to be the husband of a woman the pastor was schtooping - and had impregnated. The deceased was said to have been friends with the pastor and looked at him as a mentor - till he found out wife was banging the pastor. Then he went nuts, made public threats, and that is why yhe pastor was armed. He knew the guy was after him. :(

As I said - no linly just a news update I saw on video.

A Detroit pastor is in police custody after pulling a Glock handgun and shooting a 25-year-old suspect who allegedly entered the church armed with a brick during services on October 18.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ody-shooting-killing-attacker-church-service/

The pastor was taken into custody for questioning. There are conflicting reports as to whether or not the pastor has actually been arrested.

USA Today
reports that investigators are trying to determine whether the pastor had a permit for the gun, while
The Christian Science Monitor
reports that a central issue is the fact that guns are currently illegal to possess in Michigan churches. But the Monitor does note that Michigan lawmakers met just last week to discuss the possibility of expanding concealed carry to churches, schools, and other gun free zones where law abiding citizens are rendered defenseless at the hands of criminals.

Hm I have n link but saw a news vid yesterday updating this story - the deceased was said to be the husband of a woman the pastor was schtooping - and had impregnated. The deceased was said to have been friends with the pastor and looked at him as a mentor - till he found out wife was banging the pastor. Then he went nuts, made public threats, and that is why yhe pastor was armed. He knew the guy was after him. :(

As I said - no linly just a news update I saw on video.

Clergy "helping themselves" to the women within their congregations has been going on from time immemorial, and is disgusting to profound proportions.

That being said... If what you say is true, the one who the perpetrator should have taken a brick too was the cheatin' wife.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top