JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Crazy! I've heard of the "impending doom" feeling I just can't imagine how that feels. Maybe you can explain that? But maybe it's something you can't explain you just know once you feel it.

Also, crazy that you could literally feel the clots passing through your heart. What the heck did that feel like
The later. You just kind of know once you feel it. An overwhelming and sudden thought... "crap... this might be it!'.. the mind racing with intense anxiety/dread over what can only be described as "unfinished business". IE., "Is there anything I need to say that hasn't been said"... and intense sadness for your loved ones you might be about to leave behind... all hitting at once.

But... YMMV.🤣

The later. You just kind of know once you feel it. An overwhelming and sudden thought... "crap... this might be it!'.. the mind racing with intense anxiety/dread over what can only be described as "unfinished business". IE., "Is there anything I need to say that hasn't been said"... and intense sadness for your loved ones you might be about to leave behind... all hitting at once.

But... YMMV.🤣
Wild

Hurt like hell, 9.5 out of 10 and yes, I've been punched before (more than once...). The pressure on my chest seriously felt like that cliche "elephant standing on your chest" that you hear. You can't believe nothing has burst from the pressure.

And I drove to the hospital during the heart attack, not after. It was pretty close though - it was getting progressively worse, and I coded a couple of minutes after I got to the ER.
The adrenaline saved you during the drive.

Personally, I think time in combat is much easier. You're mentally prepared for it at any given moment. Civilian life... and health related beyond your control... it sneaks right up on you and is extremely unnerving.

I don't recommend it. 🤣

But... YMMV.🤣
Often times those sympthoms come along with a panic/anxiety attack as well!

I rode in an ambulance for my last heart attack, but...

The actual attack had happened the day before, probably around 8AM, but I didn't realize that's what was going on at the time. Mind was on too much other stuff. Went to work that afternoon, came home, went to bed.

Next day at work I decided that I was having a heart attack after all and asked my coworker to call an ambulance. I missed half my shift that day. The next two days were my normal days off. Got released from the hospital the next day with a new stent and would have gone back to work that night, but I took another day off to do the laundry I couldn't get done while I was lying in a hospital bed. Back to work the following day.

Stupid heart attack made me miss a day and a half of work and screwed up my weekend.

But I didn't drive myself to the hospital. ;)

The adrenaline saved you during the drive.
That is exactly what happened. I coded in the ER shortly after I realized that I had made it to the hospital and might be OK. Apparently, I relaxed, and stopped producing adrenaline.

Fortunately, the triage nurse had sent for a crash cart, and they were standing right behind me, waiting for me to keel over so they could go to work. Also very fortunately, the Catheter Lab was not in use at that time, so they started CPR, loaded me on a stretcher and continued CPR on the way to the lab. I woke up on the stretcher, wheeling down the hallway with a guy doing CPR on me. It's hard to breathe when they're doing chest compressions! Fortunately, someone told him to stop because I was awake. I passed out again soon after.

But that was only the beginning... :D

But... YMMV.🤣
It was similar for me. If you've ever been in a situation where it looked like you were definitely about to die horribly, it's that level of intensity. People look at you and go "Are you OK? You don't look so good."

For me, a very small amount of alcohol will greatly reduce the symptoms if it's NOT a heart attack. As I don't drink much anymore, about a quarter of a beer and I feel very much better, or I'm calling 911. I haven't had to do that in quite a while now, thankfully. This was actually recommended to me (unofficially) by an EMT. Probably saved me a few unnecessary visits to the ER.

Crazy! I've heard of the "impending doom" feeling I just can't imagine how that feels. Maybe you can explain that? But maybe it's something you can't explain you just know once you feel it.
It is weird. It's a feeling of you just know something is wrong and bad and you feel very vulnerable at that moment in time.

Also, crazy that you could literally feel the clots passing through your heart. What the heck did that feel like
It isn't that I could "feel" the blood clots passing through my heart. At that point, DVT hadn't yet been diagnosed. Only later did I come to realize that those weird, heart attack-like feelings were the blood clots triggering the cardiac danger signals. Normally, there isn't any chunk drifting along in your blood stream. When that does happen, and the chunk hits your heart valves (maybe other surfaces?), it sets off the danger signal response. It's possible that a thrombus that is working its way "northward" can be large enough to block blood flow into the heart.

That is exactly what happened. I coded in the ER shortly after I realized that I had made it to the hospital and might be OK. Apparently, I relaxed, and stopped producing adrenaline.

Fortunately, the triage nurse had sent for a crash cart, and they were standing right behind me, waiting for me to keel over so they could go to work. Also very fortunately, the Catheter Lab was not in use at that time, so they started CPR, loaded me on a stretcher and continued CPR on the way to the lab. I woke up on the stretcher, wheeling down the hallway with a guy doing CPR on me. It's hard to breathe when they're doing chest compressions! Fortunately, someone told him to stop because I was awake. I passed out again soon after.

But that was only the beginning... :D
You seem...... Too excited about this story, lol!

So, uh, who is getting your guns when you go?

It is weird. It's a feeling of you just know something is wrong and bad and you feel very vulnerable at that moment in time.

It isn't that I could "feel" the blood clots passing through my heart. At that point, DVT hadn't yet been diagnosed. Only later did I come to realize that those weird, heart attack-like feelings were the blood clots triggering the cardiac danger signals. Normally, there isn't any chunk drifting along in your blood stream. When that does happen, and the chunk hits your heart valves (maybe other surfaces?), it sets off the danger signal response. It's possible that a thrombus that is working its way "northward" can be large enough to block blood flow into the heart.
I had DVT while starting chemo a while back and a clot moved into my lungs-Ginny me a pulmonary embolism, hit me like a tone of bricks, sweating, literally so weak I couldn't walk to the bathroom. I thought it was just the meds and didn't talk to anyone until my Dr appt later that week. They admitted me and did IV blood thinners for a while. Thankfully didn't stroke out. I feel all you guys' pain, it's the real deal and not something to take lightly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top