JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting.
The contestants were to work together to adapt , build and survive... Not compete against each other.
But ... Some contestants broke the rules went "out of bounds" to steal food and alcohol.
Many also were unprepared for living in "primitive" conditions ... all according to the article.

If this is how folks think and react during a TV show and not a real life emergency or disaster ... What does that say about us if indeed it were a real life situation?
( Rhetorical question )
Andy

Another thought ... real life survival is indeed boring.
Once you have a shelter , access to water , keep the fire going and set traps or hunt for food ... Its mostly another adventure in sitting and conserving energy.

So if you do not introduce drama for drama's sake into the show ... I can see why it was canceled.
Andy

Learning to do without, and/or improvising rules the day. I was amazed at how a proper sized/shaped rock or tree root makes for a fairly decent pillow.

Also, who needs a comforter to stay warm at night or mosquito repellent when you can open up the rucksack and go MOPP-4

:D

Doh!

th?id=OIP.Sh0XNbjtrANY7qVESs7sfAD8Es&w=186&h=220&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

I just finished reading a fascinating book called "The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit"
It's about a guy in Maine that decided one day (1986) to just walk into the woods and live like a hermit.
He eventually resorted to breaking into summer cabins that surrounded a lake for food and clothing.
In over 27 years, he only spoke one word to a passing hiker and never made a fire for fear of his campsite being discovered so close to the lake. Surviving the brutal sub zero winters with no heat is an incredible feat in mind and body.
He excelled at never leaving a footprint that could lead anyone back to his hideaway.

I've never watched a single reality TV show.
Someone described the concept of Survivor to me, and I quipped, "send someone into the woods, 20+ miles from the closest civilization, for eight days with only five days of food." Completing that wouldn't even validate one's survival skills.

@jbett98, thanks for the book reference.

It takes a certain amount of time to become proficient when leaving everything (forced or by choice) that you have had in your life. I doubt that many would survive this if all the safeguards that these shows provide were not provided...:rolleyes:

Learning to do without, and/or improvising rules the day. I was amazed at how a proper sized/shaped rock or tree root makes for a fairly decent pillow.

Also, who needs a comforter to stay warm at night or mosquito repellent when you can open up the rucksack and go MOPP-4

:D
MOPP4.... Good times, good times.

Another thought ... real life survival is indeed boring.
Once you have a shelter , access to water , keep the fire going and set traps or hunt for food ... Its mostly another adventure in sitting and conserving energy.

So if you do not introduce drama for drama's sake into the show ... I can see why it was canceled.
Andy
Andy, didn't you learn that after you have completed the quest for fire, it's all about quest for poon? ;) Fans want vicarious hedonism as a reward for their vicarious hard work. If the show had a few good, spontaneous shaggings per episode, there would have been a viewership rise.

Regarding MOPP-4
It was alright for sleeping in the cold ... Kept ya pretty warm.
But for just about anything else ... it really sucked.

Must missed out on the "quest for poon " and "spontaneous shagging" classes while in the Army.
Well .... there was this one time at the local bar ... Wait wrong forum...:eek::D
Andy

Alone in the Wild - I miss it the most of all the shows I've never watched.:rolleyes:*

* I don't watch TV. I get my information and inspiration from books, and my entertainment from Northwest Firearms forum. It's a quiet life, but I like it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews