Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

All you AK dudes, what to buy for defensive 7.62x39?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 2A2Dend, Jun 9, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I have a few boxes of wolf left. I'd rather not mess around buying/trying.
    My Saiga AK 7.62 has sat collecting dust, since 2002, and needs some love for the poop shoot.
    What do y'all suggest for an accurate, no bull sheate home defense round?

Knowledge is king!

2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

For off the shelf ammo in 7.62x39mm I would suggest Golden Tiger.

3. Nocaster

Nocaster Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

4. 2A2Dend

Aside from being dirty, what do y'all say about the Yugoslavian M67?

5. Nocaster

It's supposed to be very good as far as early tumbling, according to the gel tests I've seen. If overpenetration is an issue, it may not be a good choice, because i don't think it breaks up after tumbling, and penetrates much deeper than good hollow points. I have a few hundred in my stash.......

I try to go with latest bullet technology for carry and home defense. Other than verifying function, you don't need more than 2-3 mags worth of premium stuff, the way I see it, so I see it as a worthwhile investment. YMMV

6. 2A2Dend

The 8m3 looks to be illusive of my search effort. Short of a hands on visual, unless noted, buying online would be hit or miss it seems.

Golden Tiger appears to be a solid round in the line-up. I'll take this into consideration.

I'm wanting to buy a case or two to have on hand, so, the replies I like thus far!

7. nfield4

nfield4 Mid Willamette Valley, OR Active Member

I can't help with regard to defensive loadings. There are hollow points and lead soft nose bullets available.

But I've always come back to "shoot as many times as it takes." The AK is a superior semi auto. So multiple shots can be made. And 762x39 is a rifle cartridge--more punch than a pistol.

206thsense and Nocaster like this.
  8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Lots more?o_O

9. Nocaster

I am not familiar with Golden tiger's terminal performance, so can't comment. I heard good things as far as quality goes, however.

If I were looking to buy a case of defensive 7.62x39 ammo, presumably for some kind of SHTF stockpiling, m67 would be high on my list. A YouTube channel called The Chopping Block just posted a gel test of m67, and it's pretty nasty stuff.

10. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Frangible for home defense. We had a hollow point round go through three walls and imbed itself into a heat pump next door.

11. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Hornady SST

55 to 60 cents per round

206thsense likes this.
  12. Nocaster

SST is a great round, and expands well, but IIRC it's penetration in gel is something like 30 inches.

13. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

The AK is a great SHTF choice and IMO any Russian steel case FMJ or HP would do fine in that scenario. I have one for that as well. As for home defense and worrying about over penetration, I think it may not be best suited for that purpose. There are many other options that may suit your needs for that better, shotgun, pistol caliber carbine, handgun, etc.

Just my opinion

SkeetAt40Below likes this.
  14. 2A2Dend

I can appreciate the concern for over penetration, although my wife, :s0128:oops.
    Over penetration is not a concern where I live.

If I'm going to feed it, it may as well eat healthy.

15. cigars

cigars Beaverton, USA Cav Scout/Armorer/Cold War/Communist Borders Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Your AK will just about fire gravel while under water and with Yanni playing in th background. TulAmmo or Wolf will do you fine.
    Check ammoman.com. Just look for non-corrosive primers or Berdan primers. If you cheap out and get corrosive primers just rod out the barrel with some windex after you're done shooting. No big deal.

16. SkeetAt40Below

SkeetAt40Below Portland Member

Thanks for beating me to the punch. There are no good "home defense" rifle rounds- unless you're not fond of your family members, the neighbors or your neighbors neighbors. Seriously someone should do a youtube of how many houses you can shoot through in a normal suburban neighborood to drive this point home.

17. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

FMJ penetrates too much too.

Most of the "Soft Point" ammo from overseas does not expand because either the jacket is too hard and/or too thick and/or the core is too hard. I bought some Herters "Soft Point" that had a steel core and/or jacket (it was magnetic - it had a brass case).

If you want something that will expand, you need to go with more expensive US made soft point ammo that is truly soft point.

I have FMJ for practice, but I bought soft point for self defense.

If you are worried about over penetration inside buildings, then find frangible ammo - you will pay for it dearly though.

206thsense likes this.
  18. Nocaster

Since you classified that overpenetration is not a concern, m67 is a great bulk self defense choice. SST is even better, as Heretic suggested and can be found at reasonable prices in 500 round packs.

19. 2A2Dend

All the response has been great. I grabbed a case of Golden Tiger today. The Hornady SST I will test as well.

206thsense and ogre like this.
  20. 206thsense

206thsense Seattle, WA, USA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Others have mentioned Hornady - good round from my experience just target shooting (no experience hunting with it... yet).

Older video, but Silver Bear Soft Point also feeds reliably in my AKs: