JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a few boxes of wolf left. I'd rather not mess around buying/trying.
My Saiga AK 7.62 has sat collecting dust, since 2002, and needs some love for the poop shoot.
What do y'all suggest for an accurate, no bull sheate home defense round?

Knowledge is king!

It's supposed to be very good as far as early tumbling, according to the gel tests I've seen. If overpenetration is an issue, it may not be a good choice, because i don't think it breaks up after tumbling, and penetrates much deeper than good hollow points. I have a few hundred in my stash.......

I try to go with latest bullet technology for carry and home defense. Other than verifying function, you don't need more than 2-3 mags worth of premium stuff, the way I see it, so I see it as a worthwhile investment. YMMV

The 8m3 looks to be illusive of my search effort. Short of a hands on visual, unless noted, buying online would be hit or miss it seems.

For off the shelf ammo in 7.62x39mm I would suggest Golden Tiger.
Golden Tiger appears to be a solid round in the line-up. I'll take this into consideration.

I'm wanting to buy a case or two to have on hand, so, the replies I like thus far!

I can't help with regard to defensive loadings. There are hollow points and lead soft nose bullets available.

But I've always come back to "shoot as many times as it takes." The AK is a superior semi auto. So multiple shots can be made. And 762x39 is a rifle cartridge--more punch than a pistol.

I am not familiar with Golden tiger's terminal performance, so can't comment. I heard good things as far as quality goes, however.

If I were looking to buy a case of defensive 7.62x39 ammo, presumably for some kind of SHTF stockpiling, m67 would be high on my list. A YouTube channel called The Chopping Block just posted a gel test of m67, and it's pretty nasty stuff.

The AK is a great SHTF choice and IMO any Russian steel case FMJ or HP would do fine in that scenario. I have one for that as well. As for home defense and worrying about over penetration, I think it may not be best suited for that purpose. There are many other options that may suit your needs for that better, shotgun, pistol caliber carbine, handgun, etc.

Just my opinion

I can appreciate the concern for over penetration, although my wife, :s0128:oops.
Over penetration is not a concern where I live.

If I'm going to feed it, it may as well eat healthy.

Your AK will just about fire gravel while under water and with Yanni playing in th background. TulAmmo or Wolf will do you fine.
Check ammoman.com. Just look for non-corrosive primers or Berdan primers. If you cheap out and get corrosive primers just rod out the barrel with some windex after you're done shooting. No big deal.

The AK is a great SHTF choice and IMO any Russian steel case FMJ or HP would do fine in that scenario. I have one for that as well. As for home defense and worrying about over penetration, I think it may not be best suited for that purpose. There are many other options that may suit your needs for that better, shotgun, pistol caliber carbine, handgun, etc.

Just my opinion
Thanks for beating me to the punch. There are no good "home defense" rifle rounds- unless you're not fond of your family members, the neighbors or your neighbors neighbors. Seriously someone should do a youtube of how many houses you can shoot through in a normal suburban neighborood to drive this point home.

FMJ penetrates too much too.

Most of the "Soft Point" ammo from overseas does not expand because either the jacket is too hard and/or too thick and/or the core is too hard. I bought some Herters "Soft Point" that had a steel core and/or jacket (it was magnetic - it had a brass case).

If you want something that will expand, you need to go with more expensive US made soft point ammo that is truly soft point.

I have FMJ for practice, but I bought soft point for self defense.

If you are worried about over penetration inside buildings, then find frangible ammo - you will pay for it dearly though.

Since you classified that overpenetration is not a concern, m67 is a great bulk self defense choice. SST is even better, as Heretic suggested and can be found at reasonable prices in 500 round packs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top