JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would be fine with requirement of range time to get a permit. I think its important you know how to handle a gun, if you are going to be allowed to carry one. Its like knowing how to drive if you get a drivers licenses.

"Shall NOT be infringed".

I believe in training and safety. My personal choice has been to obtain defensive pistol training. However, there is already an avalanche of "reasonable" infringements of the Constitution and 2A in particular.

No more, no matter how "reasonable".

Not strictly about the Oregon bills but it does still show Senator Merkley's clear position:

Dear Don,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on legislation to reduce gun violence. As Oregonians, we have experienced more than enough gun violence and this issue hits close to home for many of us. And yet many Oregonians cherish their guns and want to ensure that they continue to have the right to use them safely. I appreciate knowing the thoughts of Oregonians on all sides of this complex issue.

As you probably know, the Senate recently debated the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act (S.649), a bill that I have supported as a strong effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and reduce gun violence without impinging on the Second Amendment. The bill's main thrust is to close loopholes in the background check system, including the gun-show loophole. Oregon closed the gun-show loophole years ago, so this is consistent with choices we have made. I believe strongly that the most basic protection we can provide is to do a better job keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and people with serious mental illnesses who may pose a threat to themselves and others. The bill also includes provisions strengthening criminal penalties for people who conduct "straw purchases" on behalf of others in order to evade background checks.

During the debate of the bill, the Senate also considered amendments on a number of other provisions. I supported restrictions on large ammunition magazines, which are not needed for hunting or target shooting, but have been used in many mass shootings, and on military-style assault weapons. I also voted in favor of a bipartisan amendment to improve the mental health system and an amendment by Senator Barrasso (R-WY) to stop states from publicly disclosing personal information about people with gun permits.

I recognize that Oregonians come down in very different places on some of these policy choices. I come from rural Oregon and recognize the importance of hunting, target shooting, and gun collecting in many communities. I am committed to protecting the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. As a parent and a policymaker, I also feel a strong responsibility to take meaningful action to reduce the gun deaths and injuries that plague our country and to keep kids safe. We need to do what we can to prevent the horror of Newtown and Clackamas Town Center and so many other tragedies from happening again. I believe S. 649 meets both of those priorities.

Work on the bill was suspended after it became clear that it lacked the supermajority of 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. If the Senate returns to this topic, I will certainly keep your views in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

All my best,
Jeff Merkley
United States Senate

The Oregon/Utah course we took was not really "training" just a review of the law and carry etiquette with a one hour demonstration of safe pistol handling. No test or hands on practice.

The only thing I am fine with is amending the training to in person only.

The Oregon/Utah course we took was not really "training" just a review of the law and carry etiquette with a one hour demonstration of safe pistol handling. No test or hands on practice.

I see no real pressing need for the course to be in person. Granted, I'd be fine with dropping both the training requirement and the need for a license to carry concealed.

Any word on when these bills are coming up for vote?. its been pretty quiet this week on these. are the libs planning on trying to sneak these by in the middle of the night?

Any word on when these bills are coming up for vote?. its been pretty quiet this week on these. are the libs planning on trying to sneak these by in the middle of the night?

This isn't New York, there's no great plan or conspiracy to sneak these bills in, neither in the daytime nor in the middle of the night. Multiple sources say these bills have been pulled from the Senate's agenda anyhow.

If a high capacity mag ban ever happens in OR, people are going to stop getting into Gold prospecting and they will be searching the hills and woods for other peoples buried 30 round mags.

What aggravates me more than anything isn't the fact that we have to fight this battle. This battle will never be over. Its the fact that we have to fight it every year now. Last year the geniuses of Oregon decided it would be a good idea to sign ballot petitions to have legislature assemble every year to vote on this stuff. SO starting this year we won't every get a break from the fight.

OREGONIANS; READ PETITIONS AND THINK IT OVER FOR A DAY BEFORE YOU SIGN IT!!! Don't let some homeless street kid push you into signing some BS legislature just so he can make a buck and a half OR because its just easier to sign really fast and go about your day. This state is starting to feel like commie California. And don't tell me "I read them every time yada yada..." because obviously you don't. People sign "I am a moron" petition without reading headline - YouTube

Next time you get asked about signing one just ask the petitioner "Is this a bill to repeal a BS law? If yes then I'll read it." It never will be so you'll get out of it real easy.

As American citizens we shouldn't be required to ask any body for permission to carry concealed or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this settled back when the 2nd amendment along with the rest of the Bill of Rights was adopted on December 15, 1791?

I agree 1,000,000%.

As do I, but unfortunately, we have in place statutes that make it necessary, so complaining about it without the ability to change it is really wasting our breath.

Now, if we could swoop down to the polls and vote the rats out, and install our own good guys to abolish the laws , well, then.

Until that happens, we're kind of stuck with what we have.

In response to the actions our local leaders have taken, I personally know for fact it would not have prevented losing a close loved one in my family. I sat and watched non-police action on an violet assault in the for mentioned individuals own home. The authorities did nothing, there was a detail that allowed the perpetrators of an violent assault crime on a personal relative of mine tie the hands of the Law.

The Truth of the matter is that it is a weak lemming mentality attempt too curtail future crime. It will undoubtedly push up the prison population and increase taxes latter down the road to support the population. We have already seen this with the mandatory sentencing crimes over double Oregons' prison population. I am not against stiffer penalties for violent crimes but just band-aiding the current system is not working too well.

JOBS AND HAVING MONEY IS.... probably more of a social root problem that would do more good in the long run.

Come on people lets put our heads together and stop complaining, turn this site into a think-tank of sorts, get more organized and put forth some solid ideas for society change too the betterment of all living kind.

The latest:

Nothing has changed. All four bills are still being being held in Judiciary by Prozanski, they haven't moved to the Senate yet. Word is that they probably won't come up for a vote before the second-chamber hearing deadline, but they won't be dead like a normal bill; they'll be moved to the Rules Committee, which doesn't have to abide by the deadline.

So we'll have to stay vigilant all the way through to the end of the session in late June or early July.

Today Peter Courtney (Senate President) pulled all 4 bills from the full Senate, because none was going to pass. All R's and one D were on record opposing. So he sent the bills to the Rules Committee, where they will sit until adjournment or until they get modified to make some aspect of them more salable. It's a good step, but the antis only need to switch one vote. So continued vigilance is called for.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top