JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got this email from Sal Esquivel: Oregon Representative Sal Esquivel

We learned today that the gun bills on the Senate side of the building have been removed from the agenda. This has been done because Senator Betsy Johnson had a serious automobile accident this last week and she will not be back for a couple of weeks.

We do not know at this time exactly what will happen with the bills that Sen Prozanski passed out of committee - BUT we all need to continue to watch and be aware when the next move takes place.

Thank you all again for writing me concerning your Second Amendment rights and the protection thereof - There is very little more important than this!!

Please go to my new website at Oregon Representative Sal Esquivel and sign up to stay in touch -

Thank you - Rep Esquivel
Please goto Oregon Representative Sal Esquivel and sign up on the Contact page to stay in touch - Thanks Sal

Key State Senator Injured in Car Accident

State Sen. Betsy Johnson (D-Scappoose) is being treated at Oregon Health & Science University after a car wreck Monday morning. Johnson tells WW she rear-ended a car when pulling Highway 30 near her home. She was on her way to Salem at the time.

The accident was low impact, she says, and did not seem to injure the other driver. But when Johnson tried to walk afterwards, she felt pain. Johnson says doctors believe she fractured her pelvis in the wreck.

"I'm canceling my rumba lesson," she says.

It's too soon to know how much time Johnson might miss in Salem. She is an influential legislator and a key vote in a Senate where Democrats have a 16-14 majority and face tough votes on raising taxes on high-income Oregonians, and reforming the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System.​

Send her a card...... today

why would they do that... I thought she was a shoe in against Gun Bills??? I figure they would go through without her vote, almost a 1+ for gun control approval. Was the full Senate not in favor of gun control? or did they want her vote against any gun measures? and we need it?

As far as proxy voting, I don't know. I did read an article a week or two ago about a Senator who wrote some bill and almost missed the vote due to being in the hospital with respiratory problems. That would suggest that a Senator has to be present to vote, but I can't guarantee that.

No proxy voting, if a Senator is absent it is an automatic "no" vote.

Rumor has it that the gun control bills are lacking votes in the Senate, Courtney may have pulled the bills from the schedule for that reason.

That might explain the wait for a vote. They might be hoping to sway her, or at have a chance too.

Possibly, but I doubt she is going to budge on that issue. I believe a yes vote on her part might provide an opening for a Republican challenger potentially costing her the next election. If that is the case then neither she nor the Democratic leadership wants to risk it, if the Democrats lose one Senate seat (it is 16-14 currently) they lose control of the Senate and the ability to set the legislative agenda. You have to keep in mind that gun control is only one issue and for many Dems its not a big issue.

The Multnomah ordinace references the ORS thereby making 166.171(2) part of the ordinance and thereby granting the discharge of firearms. Paraphrased below:

Proposed Multnomah ordinance:
15.065 Discharge of a Firearm.
It is unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm within the boundaries of the County. This prohibition does not apply to or affect those listed in ORS 166.171.

Oregon Law:
166.171 Authority of county to regulate discharge of firearms.
A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries. Ordinances adopted may not apply to or affect a landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not endanger adjacent persons or property. The county ordinance will not apply to a person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting. Or a person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger persons or property.

I will continue with business as usual regardless of these new ordinances.

How does this affect firing while carrying, or defending your home?

I checked with my sources, sounds like the bills have indeed been pulled from the Senate floor. In the short term they've been pulled because of Sen. Johnson's absence. Aside from that there's a good chance they won't make the floor anyway due to unnamed factors.

The next legislative deadline is Monday, May 20th. Bills have to be passed out of the first chamber and have a work session scheduled in committee in the second chamber by that date or they'll be dead.

Things are looking up!

I checked with my sources, sounds like the bills have indeed been pulled from the Senate floor. In the short term they've been pulled because of Sen. Johnson's absence. Aside from that there's a good chance they won't make the floor anyway due to unnamed factors.

The next legislative deadline is Monday, May 20th. Bills have to be passed out of the first chamber and have a work session scheduled in committee in the second chamber by that date or they'll be dead.

Things are looking up!

Looks like they got passed.
MULTNOMAH COUNTY PASSES ANTI-GUN ORDINANCES - Oregon Firearms Federation

Hold up Spark Plug......

What the OP is referring to are the four 'big' bills at the state level. The link you referenced is the Multnomah county ordinance from the feel good county commissioners.

Just sayin'.....

SF-

Yep, this thread is about the Oregon State bills. There were some posts about the Multnomah County ordinances on here, but the main crux is the State bills ;-)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top