Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ALL GUN CONTROL BILLS PASS OREGON SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Modeler, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

The Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee this morning passed all four gun control bills. They were amended and aren't necessarily the same bills as they were when the hearings were held two weeks ago.

SB 347 - Allows School Districts to prohibit CHL holders from carrying on school grounds. Provides exemption for parents dropping off or picking up children from school, provided they do not enter the school building.

SB 699 - Prohibits open carry in the Capitol and other public buildings as defined in the bill. Allows for concealed carry in those places

SB 700 - Universal Background Checks

SB 796 - Requires CHL training to be delivered in person, prohibits delivery of training by remote means (internet, video, etc...)

In order for these bills to move forward they must pass the full Senate.

The full Senate is comprised of 14 Republicans and 16 Democrats. Senator Betsy Johnson (D) has previously stated she won't support any of these bills. Assuming she votes "No", we will need all 14 Republican Senators to vote "No" as well to kill these bills.

Contact your Senators (especially if you live in a Senate District held by a Republican) and tell them to vote "No" on SB 347, SB 699, SB 700 and SB 796.

2. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

Thank you, again, for your work in keeping people informed. With your permission, I will post a link to this through my work's FB page.

3. Modeler

Feel free to share :)

4. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

Where did you get the information from so soon? I've just looked at the OFF site, oregonianlive, thegunwire, and I can't find any notifications yet.

5. Modeler

I watched the committee meeting online. I've been reporting them in real-time this week in the "Political" section.

6. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

Thank you!

7. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I already contacted my state senator (Laurie Monnes Anderson-D), but only concerning SB347 (makes all schools GFZ's) and SB700 (No more FTF transactions). Who cares about SB699? Even SB796 seems pretty lame. Although, I bet that is from the perspective of someone in the PDX area. If one lives in a small town in the east, getting to a live CHL class could be pretty cost-prohibitive.

8. Focer

Focer Mt Hood Active Member

Thanks for the heads up.

9. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

So how would they enforce 700?all out registration?

10. Modeler

I've been doing some thinking... It's possible that Roblan still won't support these bills in the full Senate. He may have voted to move them forward to appease his committee Chair. Sorta like those who voted to open debate on gun control in the US Senate, but then voted against the amendments.

If that's the case we may still be in a defendable position. He may be willing to be convinced.

If you write him, please be friendly. No "you screwed us, you backstabber" kind of stuff please ;)

Arnie Roblan
    503-986-1705
    sen.arnieroblan@state.or.us

Also, consider sending a kind note to Betsy Johnson. She's supportive of us, and we need all the supportive Democrats we can get:

Betsy Johnson
    503-986-1716
    sen.betsyjohnson@state.or.us

It's also vitally important that we get all the Republican Senators to vote against these bills.

Here's a list of all the Senators and their contact info:

Oregon State Legislature - Oregon State Senate

If you're not sure who your Senator is you can use this link to find them:

Oregon State Legislature - Find Your Legislator

A vote on the Senate floor has not yet been scheduled, we have from a few days to a week or two before the full vote.

Asp, ocarolan, Molon Labe and 7 others like this.
  11. TheHumungus

TheHumungus Portland Active Member

I just wrote my Senator. (Elizabeth Steiner Hayward). She is a liberal fascist, and strongly embraces any gun control measures, but I still wrote her anyway. I just wanted her to understand that there are people out here working to get her out of office for supporting the liberal lies.

Please take the time to write yours. Every letter helps. Thanks.

12. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Took me all of 5 minutes to research who my (new) Oregon State Senator is (Brian Boquist) and then hit the little button that said "email Brian Boquist", come back and copy the bills and then paste into my email dressed up the fonts and bold the Senate Bill numbers for his ease and hit send.

Thank you for your work Modeler!

SF-

ocarolan and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

To find the ammendments, you have to go into OLIS. Type in the bill number (347, 699, 700, 796) after clicking on the bills and senate links. Then click on the "proposed ammendments" link. On the far right of the table, it shows which ammendments passed on what date.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/1984
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/1981
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/2002
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/1991

14. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Good luck!

15. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

Just sent and e-mail to my representative, Chris Edwards. I have no idea where he will fall on these bills. He did reply to me back in March when I wrote him about HB3200 (just wanted to try and get feel then) but his answer was pretty neutral (politically). Hopefully I get a better response this time.

Br3nt0 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Tualatin, Oregon Active Member

I have been writing a couple e mails a week to all the Oregon senators. I think even if they are outside of my district, I still want them to know how I feel. Yesterday's e mail got 3 responses in less than an hour. All from assistance, but all assuring me that they would be supportive of our rights and not pass any more regulations.

17. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

probably just like gun shops do, a simple phone call to the police to verify buyer is good to go

18. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you think the recent backlogs on background checks are bad, wait until they implement that and see how the police infrastructure handles that.

19. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get busy emailing and pass the word.

20. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I'm sure since they will be pulling in a lot of money charging $10 per pop hopefully they would add some workers.