JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today Peter Courtney (Senate President) pulled all 4 bills from the full Senate, because none was going to pass. All R's and one D were on record opposing. So he sent the bills to the Rules Committee, where they will sit until adjournment or until they get modified to make some aspect of them more salable. It's a good step, but the antis only need to switch one vote. So continued vigilance is called for.

Oregonian link to story.

The best outcome for the NRA and other extremists is for the bills not to go to the floor so that their supporters can continue to hide on this issue," said Burdick, referring to the National Rifle Association.
I didn't realize I was an extremist. Reminds me of the story of the kettle and the pot...if anyone is an extremist, its Burdick.

From what I have read around here she is an extremist. "to hide on this issue." Oh wait! That is right, its still has not been bent or distorted to uselessness yet withing the confines of the law.

Ugh, we have not heard the last from her. What about the lady in Oregon City who was getting dragged down the street by her hair until she sought to defend herself.

Burdick please chime in.

It was on the OFF Facebook page today:

"Ok folks, here is the latest from the well sourced rumor mill. One of more REPUBLICAN Senators may be shopping around a gun control bill. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This story is in its early stages but has come from reliable sources backed up by other events. Get ready to rock."

Not sure who that would be though. If they knew names they would name them. I know there's a group of Senators and Rep's trying to come up with 'something' to pass, but I don't know the makeup of that group. Be on your toes!

It was on the OFF Facebook page today:

"Ok folks, here is the latest from the well sourced rumor mill. One of more REPUBLICAN Senators may be shopping around a gun control bill. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This story is in its early stages but has come from reliable sources backed up by other events. Get ready to rock."

Not sure who that would be though. If they knew names they would name them. I know there's a group of Senators and Rep's trying to come up with 'something' to pass, but I don't know the makeup of that group. Be on your toes!
There was a tweet from Ceasefire around the same time saying they were going to come up for a vote.

There was a tweet from Ceasefire around the same time saying they were going to come up for a vote.

Hmmm.... if they come up for a vote the best case will be them coming up soon and not actually being voted upon in the Rules committee. It would be best for us if they got sent to House Judiciary; they have a good likelihood of dying there, and the background check bill will get loaded down with amendments and exceptions. Here's hoping!

Thanks Tiggers, you beat me to it!

Here's the text of the alert for posterity:

Don’t Relax Just Yet

Although all news stories have indicated that the privacy (and rights busting) anti-gun bills are dead in the Rules Committee, reports of their demise are premature.

Not satisfied with crippling Second Amendment rights in his own state (and dictating what you can eat and drink) New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is mounting a well funded assault on your gun rights.

A political consultant hired by Bloomberg has sent out a collection of anti-gun editorials to legislators, and Republicans in Oregon are starting to fear Bloomberg’s limitless bankroll.

Meredith Shield, the Director of Governmental Affairs for Oregon Operations for ”Strategies 360″
(240 N. Broadway Ste 118 Portland, OR 97227 T 503-595-1998 F 503-546-9725 C 971-221-3201) appears to be the new point person attempting to revive whatever assaults on your liberties she and Bloomberg can.

In an email sent out today, she said :

“As you likely known (sic) , President Courtney has tasked a Senate work group with crafting a bipartisan agreement on establishing universal criminal background checks for gun sales. We will keep you updated on the outcome of these negotiations as soon as they are available. In the meantime, we wanted to share with you this attached packet of media clips showing that people across Oregon continuing (sic) to call for legislative action this session to help reduce gun violence in our communities. We are always available to answer any additional questions you may have on this issue.”

While the Senate Republicans have, so far, remained united in opposing new regulations and restrictions on your gun rights, Senator Bruce Starr is now considering legislation that would not only expand the mandate that you ask the state for permission to obtain a gun, it would increase the fees you would have to pay for that “privilege.”

Now more than ever we need to remind all senators that expanded background checks mean nothing more than expanded harassment of gun owners. The fact is, the background check system does not work now. People are routinely delayed, often for months, with no justification. The last thing we need is to make this failed system bigger.

Senator Starr has a history of voting pro-gun. It would appear he has become the target of the tiny, but noisy, anti-gun fringe who have virtually no members but do have the backing of billionaire Bloomberg. Please contact Senator Starr and remind him that he has never had the support of the anti-rights zealots and is not likely to get it by pandering to this small group of extremists.​

Ceasefire Oregon is mounting a campaign against all the Republicans that they see might switch. They have people calling in districts where they think there may be the possibility of a switch. I received a call asking to pressure Jackie Winters to vote yes for UBC and for keeping guns out of schools.

For what it's worth, they are active and are ramping up their activities. We should do no less. Most every Senator or Representatives' newsletter has said that the Pro 2A letters, calls, and emails run 3 to 1 against the anti gun communications.

Keep up the emails and letters. I'm sure that by now, it's a simple matter of sending group emails using the same address you've been using.

Ceasefire Oregon is mounting a campaign against all the Republicans that they see might switch. They have people calling in districts where they think there may be the possibility of a switch. I received a call asking to pressure Jackie Winters to vote yes for UBC and for keeping guns out of schools.

For what it's worth, they are active and are ramping up their activities. We should do no less. Most every Senator or Representatives' newsletter has said that the Pro 2A letters, calls, and emails run 3 to 1 against the anti gun communications.

Keep up the emails and letters. I'm sure that by now, it's a simple matter of sending group emails using the same address you've been using.

I WILL BEFORE NEXT TUESDAY SEND OUT A PROMPTING LETTER TO ALL SENATORS AND REPS AGAINST THE CURRENT GUN BILLS AND FOR PRO 2A BILLS. AND, I'LL MAKE A NOTE TO ENFORCE TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW ALL CURRENT GUN BILLS TIED TO CRIMINAL ACTIVITY. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.....

OMG sb 347 is so stupid. Do those fatcat (apparently worthless as well), congressmen think a shooter actually gives a sh*t about some anti CHL law? Wow, is all I can say.

OMG sb 347 is so stupid. Do those fatcat (apparently worthless as well), congressmen think a shooter actually gives a sh*t about some anti CHL law? Wow, is all I can say.

Well we elected them, so now what to do? Hmm I have an idea. Someone explained it to me the following way. Some of these elected officials have a background in law per say, so they have maybe a license to PRACTICE law, and what better way to practice your skills is to see what b.s. they can actually get away with on a public that only (estimate) 50 to 70 percents actually votes!

So think of the numbers game at this point. Or better yet reply to the original options listed at the start of this thread.

We have choices.

Totally, yes I read some article in psychology today that ranked the professions with the highest number of people with greater psychopathic tendencies. ( I don't mean the Hollywood mindless idiots wielding butcher knives, I mean in the clinical sense. People who have more psychopathic tendencies have less empathy and are more focused. Evolutionarily it's a more efficient way to lead people, unfortunately) aaanyway, I think a congressman/woman is like number 3? I think it went #1 stockbroker, #2 lawyer, #3 congressman. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think it's all of them, I have a good friend and she is in law school, nice girl, but we're speaking in generalities here. By the way I just got done reading a synopsis of a post mortem psychoanalysis of Hitler which said among other issues he was a paranoid szchitzophrenic and narrsisistic, which the latter is almost impossible to spot if you do not know what to look for. Which is why no one realized he was a criminal before it was too late, (well maybe carl jung). It makes me wonder how many more world leaders, congressmen, etc. have deep rooted issues like these? I would think these issues have control over what these people value, and thus how they behave, how they vote:(
Speaking on the chl free zones at schools, I think a lot of people like the European way of treating firearms as totally verboten. All my European friends think us Americans are crazy with our guns over here. My girlfriend (German), says people who have chl's well that's crazy, who needs a gun to go to Safeway or to drive your kid to school, Americans are so crazy.
Ok on one hand I do agree with her, some people can get excessive with that stuff over here. And I actually can't see why someone would need a chl or carry a handgun anywhere. BUT....just because something is not necessary, is NOT good enough reason for me to take that person's liberty away. It has to be doing significant bad to society and I just don't see that with chl holders. I don't see a reason to have assault weapons or high capacity magazines either, I just don't think life would be horrible without them. But firstly this country is about individual liberty, firstly. And if that mean someone wants to own a 20mm rifle destructive device, I really don't give a sh$t. And lastly, and maybe my European friends forget a very significant difference between Europe and the US. Not many firearms in Europe. In the US I believe 100 million handguns? Not ever going to get rid of them all, not with all the buy backs in the world. So there are then apparently situations here where a gun would make you safer. I'd rather be at the school dropping my kid off where parents have chl's, and that anyone trying to kill my children KNOWS that. Ok I'm done with my tirade!

Hmmm.... In Europe (London in particular) there was a British soldier getting his head hacked off right there in the street in front of God and everyone... I bet there was a "reason" to have a CHL then... but that's just "crazy" American talk.

Germans are "Tuetonic" by nature and tend to be stubborn control freaks about EVERYTHING... I should know, I share some of thier DNA mixed with Northern Berserker genes from the fjords above... I keep myself busy some days. ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top