JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright ... what types of events have you on your alerts list?
Clearly; if an earthquake happens, you will feel it and know it's effects in a short period of time. Same with a regional Nuke or a War.

However there are threats that won't provide as clear a warning. (Hence making it hard to predict just what has happened.)

Imagine a scenario where all cell phone communication is down. All internet service is down.
Water, sewage and electricity are fine ... even regular TV broadcasting is available with the news.

1. Would that worry you?
  2. What do you think might be going on in that scenario?
  3. Would you expect travel by vehicle to require special precautions?
  4. Believe it or not ... that is the scenario that I believe will be the most dangerous for Free Americans.

Depends on where you are. I was in Oceanside, CA in 2011 (I think thats when it happened) when the power grid took a krap. No power, home phone, cell phone, tv, nothing... No fuel, groceries, beer, travel etc... That stretched from San Clemente down into Mexico, from the ocean to Arizona. HUGE area and millions effected. I was visiting and after a few minutes began to realize something was very wrong. I was prepared but friends and family werent. I helped them treat it like it was a major disaster. We had cash on hand which helped tremendously. We were able to get extra supplies before the stores ran out or just stopped selling. People dont carry cash anymore. We sheltered in place with weapons and waited. Granted the power wasnt out for very long, (8 hours I think) it was a great training experience. The weird thing about this is usually when the power goes out you still have cell phone, radio etc.... We had nothing. I got a hold of grandmas old emergency radio and got some station in LA that kept us updated. It was pretty sketchy dude. I grew up down there but wouldnt want to have to fight my way back up here. It opened up some great conversations with my friends who thought I was nuts. It was definitely an eye opening situation. Up here at home, I wouldnt have even batted an eye. Im WAY more prepared then we were down there.

OP "All phone and internet down"

With NDAA, the phone and internet "kill switches" already in the hands of the government, and since the phones and internet are the only modes of news not already in the hands of the government; only one conclusion can be made, but we are all going to make that decision for ourselves, or we are not.

There is already so much disinformation on all forms of communication to rely on anything anyway; nothing would surprise me any more, so I believe we are left with contingency planning, rehearsals, (modifications) and then some more rehearsals.

The key to effectively reacting to so many variables is to have strong contingency plans in place right now; don't wait. Take your loved-ones to a safe area and tell them; "If all hell breaks loose, come here and wait for me".

Those you care about most should always know where you are and will be (primarily, alternately and supplementarily), or plans A, B & C (for short) in case of an emergency. Whomever has the precious cargo (spouse, kids, guns etc) should know (through regular rehearsals) where these A/B/C locations are and paint that location on the front or garage door (with a can of spray paint positioned by the door) so whomever comes home afterwards, would know where the precious cargo is. Plan "A" could be the crawl space, plan B the inconspicuous (dry) culvert outside of town, C the red cross shelter (for some people).

Community actions plans are necessary for any type of community. Some neighbors must be kept out of the loop for obvious reasons. Here is one example; the neighbor that stops by to tell you all about the neighborhood, will be singing like a "canary" to save his own a$$. Another; the people who brag about their preparations are going to attract hoodlums like a magnet, especially the "big-shot" neighbor who pays other people to do everything for him/her, they need to be avoided (civil inattention). And another; if your parcel delivery-person will tell you what your neighbor bought, he will tell your neighbor what you bought, and you can never be too sure about the substitute drivers either....!

The heart of a so called "Prepper" is to some degree, the heart of a high-power-distance Individualist. It harshly conflicts with the nature of an Individualist to take orders from, reach-out to, or depend on anyone, so don't expect them to be sticking their hands out like a collectivist does (neighborhood welcome wagon etc). People who keep to themselves and can be characterized as thrifty are good people in the neighborhood to watch. This is not the best era to appear "rich" so don't be surprised by the goat-smelling, poorly-dressed Individualist who is shopping for some vacuum tubes at the local 2nd hand store (hint).

Various community actions plans that can be used are posted all over the internet.

In this and many other scenarios, radios are only good for one thing; eves-dropping. The last thing to be done (IMO) is to get on the "horn" and begin broadcasting information. Letting the "motor-mouths" do the "bird-dogging" for you may be a better idea.

Still, a communications plan between you and those who are important to you must be in place at all times. Your GMRS may not be helpful while you are initially apart, but will be most helpful when you come within range of the link-up area/site. A back-up near recognition signal is also imperative to have in place; one red flash followed by three blue flashes etc. Radio listening silence (RLS) on the HAM frequencies will be immeasurable toward keeping you informed.

Once link up with your precious cargo is complete, assessments can be made and plans of action can be developed.

I'm gonna write it, ban me if you must; if the internet goes down, God help us all!

We have HAM at the firehouse and I am looking into it here at our place. We have a good protectible area here. Several of the families have gardens and chickens. There are ponds and creeks all around us and lots of woods. We have 2 sets of 2 way radios one set in a faraday cage with extra batteries and dynamo chargers. I just hope we never have to use them!!!!!

No cell phones or internet oh my God pre 1998. OH NO!!! At least most people did not have a cell phone or internet, except internet at work or company issued cell phones,

All kidding aside, well it would depend or what the current events were, threats were, whether or not people I know's HAM's were working (looking at getting my own HAM) It would also depend on the kind radio traffic buzzing around the CB's

Television news, well I do not trust it much now, do not know if I would trust it much then.

Travel, well I would be listening close to the CB for what is going on in front, behind and around me. The CB's and two ways may not be of any use either.

Your secnarion is not all that far fetched, the gooberment has systems in place to block most frequencies, and their radio signals are so strong the kill or block cell transmission's. Also with the gooberment having secret rooms in most if not all commercial telecommunications facilities, I am sure they have systems in place to cut off service or to over load it to make communicating almost impossible.

If all of this happens to include HAm radios, CB's and other two radios be can be pretty confident there is something going on, to what degree and is hard to tell, my suggestion would be to make your hunker down or bugout decisions carefully one would not want to over react to power or systems problems, or military exercise going on if you live near a military facility. But one would not want to under react and make themselves vulnerable or at risk base on normalcy bias.

I too believe that when crap happens these systems will be down either from overload or intentional shutdown either by the gooberment or as the result of man made or natural incidents

Wise man ... couldn't slip the "real issue" past you.

Another tip off would be if most channels were broadcasting "Barbara Walters" or another "News-Treason" Anchor, announcing ...
"Don't worry about the armored personnel carriers or tanks or UN troops ... they are here to help with local terrorists cells."

:gun14:_________________________________________________:s0043:

OP "All phone and internet down"

With NDAA, the phone and internet "kill switches" already in the hands of the government, and since the phones and internet are the only modes of news not already in the hands of the government; only one conclusion can be made, but we are all going to make that decision for ourselves, or we are not.

There is already so much disinformation on all forms of communication to rely on anything anyway; nothing would surprise me any more, so I believe we are left with contingency planning, rehearsals, (modifications) and then some more rehearsals.

The key to effectively reacting to so many variables is to have strong contingency plans in place right now; don't wait. Take your loved-ones to a safe area and tell them; "If all hell breaks loose, come here and wait for me".

Those you care about most should always know where you are and will be (primarily, alternately and supplementarily), or plans A, B & C (for short) in case of an emergency. Whomever has the precious cargo (spouse, kids, guns etc) should know (through regular rehearsals) where these A/B/C locations are and paint that location on the front or garage door (with a can of spray paint positioned by the door) so whomever comes home afterwards, would know where the precious cargo is. Plan "A" could be the crawl space, plan B the inconspicuous (dry) culvert outside of town, C the red cross shelter (for some people).

Community actions plans are necessary for any type of community. Some neighbors must be kept out of the loop for obvious reasons. Here is one example; the neighbor that stops by to tell you all about the neighborhood, will be singing like a "canary" to save his own a$$. Another; the people who brag about their preparations are going to attract hoodlums like a magnet, especially the "big-shot" neighbor who pays other people to do everything for him/her, they need to be avoided (civil inattention). And another; if your parcel delivery-person will tell you what your neighbor bought, he will tell your neighbor what you bought, and you can never be too sure about the substitute drivers either....!

The heart of a so called "Prepper" is to some degree, the heart of a high-power-distance Individualist. It harshly conflicts with the nature of an Individualist to take orders from, reach-out to, or depend on anyone, so don't expect them to be sticking their hands out like a collectivist does (neighborhood welcome wagon etc). People who keep to themselves and can be characterized as thrifty are good people in the neighborhood to watch. This is not the best era to appear "rich" so don't be surprised by the goat-smelling, poorly-dressed Individualist who is shopping for some vacuum tubes at the local 2nd hand store (hint).

Various community actions plans that can be used are posted all over the internet.

In this and many other scenarios, radios are only good for one thing; eves-dropping. The last thing to be done (IMO) is to get on the "horn" and begin broadcasting information. Letting the "motor-mouths" do the "bird-dogging" for you may be a better idea.

Still, a communications plan between you and those who are important to you must be in place at all times. Your GMRS may not be helpful while you are initially apart, but will be most helpful when you come within range of the link-up area/site. A back-up near recognition signal is also imperative to have in place; one red flash followed by three blue flashes etc. Radio listening silence (RLS) on the HAM frequencies will be immeasurable toward keeping you informed.

Once link up with your precious cargo is complete, assessments can be made and plans of action can be developed.

I'm gonna write it, ban me if you must; if the internet goes down, God help us all!

from Knuckle Head "If all of this happens to include HAm radios, CB's and other two radios be can be pretty confident there is something going on, to what degree and is hard to tell, my suggestion would be to make your hunker down or bugout decisions carefully one would not want to over react to power or systems problems, or military exercise going on if you live near a military facility. But one would not want to under react and make themselves vulnerable or at risk base on normalcy bias."

That is a key part,that if all communicatins are down is it gooberment or natural cause, one would have to determine.

If an EMP from the sun came like the big one in the 1800's would the satellites be fried too??? I need to do some research on that. I know they will be disrupted but to what extent?

Last Edited:
There are simple things you can do before panicking. There have been times in the past where i think something might happen or just get an uneasy feeling. I don't freak out my family or anything. I'll check preps just to insure everything is in their place. I will drive up to the gas station or store or something just to see how everyone is acting. Are people freaking out? roads congested? Buying all the food/water/gas? Mass rioting? Haha who knows. Just a simple recon trip up to get some beer or snacks or something. I might also fill up water containers if the water and electric is still on. It won't hurt to drink out of them or fill my dogs water dish out of it... if nothing comes to happen. If no communication, try talking to people while at the store... being friendly of course. You never know who you might be talking to, or what they might know.

There are simple things you can do before panicking. ... Just a simple recon trip up to get some beer

Ah yes ... The Ol' Beer recon trip ... I do like the way you think ... it is actually one of the better test methods ... I have used it many a time ...

"Honey ... I'm gona step out for a bit ... need to do some recon ... and I'm gona buy beer to make it look legit."

(My Home brew stuff will have to wait till there is a real emergency. Heck bremasters have a very high survival rate during an occupation. But I digress.)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top