JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Some background for those of y'all that care, especially after skimming the thread. I worked as a professional stagehand for 11 years in my prior career.

Stagecraft isn't like the normal trades. Master doesn't indicate a level of skill or ability necessarily but rather the level of responsibility. For example I spent a number of those years as a production master electrician. This meant I was in charge of power distribution and lighting as well as the crew to perform the actual work. Usually this meant working with the designer to implement the vision and running the crew and maintaining the paperwork all at once.

Props is shorthand for property. Props are not fake by nature, they are often the exact item be it a gun or a camera or a book. In certain areas you can rent props from companies that make fakes, or you can make a fake of an expensive item like a.gold coin, etc. The only important rule to props is that it must look real and must function if needed.

So a prop master is the person responsible for keeping track of the property used on the production and ensuring it is where it should be at all times. Often on smaller budget productions the prop master will also build and design props as needed.

Television and movie production is hell on wheels for crew. I mostly avoided that work after a couple experiences. 12-20 hour days for 7 days a week up to 9 months in a row is brutal and conditions can rapidly become unsafe on small budget productions.

Live rounds on set mean powder charged. Hot means loaded, cold means unloaded.

What happened in this case was negligence on many levels, but at the end of the day it is on the person who pulled the trigger. I mostly worked with members of Actors Equity union, which is mostly geared towards theatre but most screen actors belong to it at some point in their lives. The following is a link to their firearms safety policies some of y'all might find interesting and familiar. Pretty sure the other unions are basically the same. In order for this event to happen many, many safety rules were ignored.

Hope that clears some stuff up for those of you who haven't been around this stuff yourselves.

Edit: punctuation from phone typing...
Thank you for all of the above.
Question: Is the armorer on set required to be licensed in any way? Do they have required training that they must undergo on a yearly basis? I heard that there are many groups of workers on the sets that are licensed (framers, electricians, drivers, etc etc), Do the armorers just have more experience with things-that-go-bang than others and that qualifies them for the job? Since you do have on-set experience I thought I'd ask you. Thx

Its obvious that this armorer will be in BIG trouble what with 3 other NDs prior to the fatal one. Walking of the set bc of safety concerns also will dig the hole deeper for her and her direct supervisor, plus the producers.

Seems like we need an Eddie The Eagle program for anyone/everyone on a set going forward.

As to Alec Baldwin, I despise his politics and his anti-gun ranting and his vile comments. That said, I do feel for him because he will now live with the fact that he has killed someone, and it was an accidental killing of a friend of his. Its the thing that keeps us clearing every weapon we pick up, every time we pick it up. This should not be a humbling event for him, instead it should be a life-altering event for him. Killing someone who 'needs' killing and shooting a friend are 2 different situations and are not comparable to me.

Still despise the guy but this is not what i wished for him. (That had more to do with vultures eating on him, but that's another post)

Thank you for all of the above.
Question: Is the armorer on set required to be licensed in any way? Do they have required training that they must undergo on a yearly basis? I heard that there are many groups of workers on the sets that are licensed (framers, electricians, drivers, etc etc), Do the armorers just have more experience with things-that-go-bang than others and that qualifies them for the job? Since you do have on-set experience I thought I'd ask you. Thx

Its obvious that this armorer will be in BIG trouble what with 3 other NDs prior to the fatal one. Walking of the set bc of safety concerns also will dig the hole deeper for her and her direct supervisor, plus the producers.

Seems like we need an Eddie The Eagle program for anyone/everyone on a set going forward.
It really depends a lot on the scale and budget of the production. I don't know if
there is an official government granted license but there are groups that offer licensed professionals. The few large productions I worked did not involve weaponry and most of the small that did had some sort of weapon master or fight choreographer at best usually someone well versed in the art of stage combat. If going for realism they may or may not attend regular training as well.

A reasonable overview can be found here.

As to Alec Baldwin, I despise his politics and his anti-gun ranting and his vile comments. That said, I do feel for him because he will now live with the fact that he has killed someone, and it was an accidental killing of a friend of his. Its the thing that keeps us clearing every weapon we pick up, every time we pick it up. This should not be a humbling event for him, instead it should be a life-altering event for him. Killing someone who 'needs' killing and shooting a friend are 2 different situations and are not comparable to me.

Still despise the guy but this is not what i wished for him. (That had more to do with vultures eating on him, but that's another post)
This ^^ is the way I feel about all this, I believe. All the spoken hate for the guy is a little unnerving though. It would be nice if a lesson was learned and those in power would bring back the teaching of fire arms safety. I would hope some small positive could come out of this terrible situation. Maybe that these "Actors" could start seeing themselves as no smarter or better than the average people.

@Ancalagon That's a great list! It leaves me wondering which of the crew present those days during production broke how many rules on that list? If Baldwin is to be held responsible for this, other members of the crew should be held equally liable.

This ^^ is the way I feel about all this, I believe. All the spoken hate for the guy is a little unnerving though. It would be nice if a lesson was learned and those in power would bring back the teaching of fire arms safety. I would hope some small positive could come out of this terrible situation. Maybe that these "Actors" could start seeing themselves as no smarter or better than the average people.

@Ancalagon That's a great list! It leaves me wondering which of the crew present those days during production broke how many rules on that list? If Baldwin is to be held responsible for this, other members of the crew should be held equally liable.
Absolutely this will be going into court in a civil suit. Millions settled out of court by the time its all done. But the criminal case is a whole lot different. The 'master' armorer is a female (not that that matters a bit) who has stated that she was 'nervous' on set, like she was out of her depth. 3 NDs plus the fatal shooting, people walking off set because they felt unsafe will be just the start. It just did not need to happen

Absolutely this will be going into court in a civil suit. Millions settled out of court by the time its all done. But the criminal case is a whole lot different. The 'master' armorer is a female (not that that matters a bit) who has stated that she was 'nervous' on set, like she was out of her depth. 3 NDs plus the fatal shooting, people walking off set because they felt unsafe will be just the start. It just did not need to happen
"Millions of dollars" That's a good solution that will benefit everyone. :rolleyes: While the constant barrage from the dems to vilify gun rights continues.
Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Seems negligent to me, not an accident at all.
The standard LibTard will blame someone else always for what he or she did wrong.

Excellent points here...

All prop masters know that even loaded with 'blanks' - the wad is still lethal and that weapons are NEVER aimed at others directly - no matter what.

Pretty sure killing someone with a, 'blank' wax wad will still get you a homicide charge on the streets... :rolleyes:

1) "There's also this ... one source who was on set and familiar with the goings-on of the crew tells us that when cops showed up, they found live ammo and blanks were being stored in the same area -- another possible explanation for how an actual bullet slipped got in the gun."
This goes from mere negligence to egregious negligence. When I was in the Gunsmithing program @ Lassen Community College no live ammo was allowed anywhere in the shop and this is S.O.P. in any situation in which people are handling firearms.

2) "If he doesn't get criminal charges he's still going to get his arse sued off by the relatives of that woman in civil court."
And so is everybody else who had anything to do with it. The ambulance chasers are rubbing their hands over this one. It will be the source of income for legions of lawyers who aren't even born yet.

3) "Still despise the guy but this is not what i wished for him. (That had more to do with vultures eating on him, but that's another post)"
Eaten alive by pigs is another nice daydream...

4) Thell Reed's daughter must have been around guns since she was born. Gun safety should have been so ingrained that she couldn't forget any aspect of it.

AB's therapist will have him believing he's the victim in no time.
He's said that from the beginning. This is an arrogant man that never does anything wrong!!!

He can say goodby to ever winning an Oscar.
Oh no, he's a shoe in now!!! Poor guy... they all feel sorry for him and will give him an award to make him feel better.

The wife and I constantly comment on the poor gun safety displayed in movies and on TV. Yet, it seems that in recent times they have rules, and those rules are being violated constantly. With a man as arrogant and belligerent as Baldwin in charge (producer), I'm not surprised that safety was such an issue that qualified staff was walking off the set. I have to wonder if AB was badgering people and pushing them around and how much that contributed to safety violations.

Highly unlikely because the gun itself misfired. Alec had nothing to do with it…
I'm so bummed that even people like Pete Hegseth are saying the gun misfired. WTF? Was it a Sig P320 /sarc. Nope, SA Colt... notoriously light trigger when cocked. So... 3 NDs .... finger on the trigger or was it going off by itself (in which case it should have been replaced and red tagged by the armorer/propmaster). I'm thinkin finger on the trigger problems. And pushy people violating safety rules.

But odds are, he won't. He's too cozy with the Klantoons and he hates DJT plenty enough that the Liberal establishment will let him skate...
I expect that Hollyweird hypocrits, libs, and anti-gunners will ALL let him skate. If anything, he will be held up as a martyr and be celebrated by those. But that doesn't mean we can't all enjoy mean tweets and memes while the other side enjoys a bunch of blaming and excuse making.

Break..............................

IMO, a complete investigation of this incident is warranted... all info might not come out until there is a civil suit. AB as a producer, and perhaps as a belligerent on set may have lots of culpability. Would like to know the TRUTH behind what happened.

I saw yesterday that a crew member reported that the six shooter in question was being used during off-hours for recreational target shooting.
If true, yet another breakdown in set discipline and safety.

Last Edited:
Yes it looks like that imbecile Alecs words are coming back to bite him. I also remember him doing a bit on SNL where he made fun of Dick Cheney accidentally shooting someone with a shotgun. Karma baby Karma.
cu3xdvdcg9v71.jpg

I saw yesterday that a crew member reported that the six shooter in question was being used during off-hours for recreational target shooting.
It true, yet another breakdown in set discipline and safety.
Because only prop masters and armorers are allowed to handle set weapons? IDK. May have been either of those that were taking it out and using it. But that does point out that the weapon was prolly not "misfiring", or they wouldn't have been doing target practice with it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR