JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
In my personal experience, after brand-new-to-firearms persons, at times it's among those that are most confident in their experience that can become complacent with gun safety.

When not at the range (and immediately before a person is going to engage in target practice downrange), whenever I'm presenting a firearm to simply show anyone(regardless of level of experience); it is ALWAYS with:

1. mag removed/tube cleared.
2. the chamber cleared.
3. slide locked/bolt back or cylinder cleared and open.

It is then, and only then; that I will present the firearm showing the recipient and getting acknowledgment that the firearm is clear before passing it off. There have been times that I get some 'eye rolls' from long-time firearms owners for this seemingly over-redundant practice.

I, and would like to believe that most on here, give gun safety the seriousness that it deserves at ALL times.

EDIT: And if it's a newbie, and I'm handing them a revolver; I tell them if they slam the cylinder home.. or if they release the slide on an empty 1911 chamber like they've seen in the movies; I'm going to sock them in the jaw. "See how it feels?"

Last Edited:
In my personal experience, after brand-new-to-firearms persons, at times it's among those that are most confident in their experience that can become complacent with gun safety.

When not at the range ( and immediately before a person is going to engage in target practice downrange), whenever I'm presenting a firearm to simply show anyone(regardless of level of experience); it is ALWAYS with:

1. mag removed/tube cleared.
2. the chamber cleared.
3. slide locked/bolt back or cylinder cleared and open.

It is then, and only then; that I will present the firearm showing the recipient and getting acknowledgment that the firearm is clear before passing it off. There have been times that I get some 'eye rolls' from long-time firearms owners for this seemingly over-redundant practice.

I, and would like to think that most on here, give gun safety the seriousness that it deserves at all times.
I was looking at guns at Sportsman's and was handed a gun, mag in and slide closed, to inspect.

Kind of blew my mind a little. I expected to be handed a magazine and a pistol with slide locked back as a sort of gentleman's agreement on it being cleared…at which point I could manipulate to my heart's content.

Seems like just such a "duh" idea when handing someone a gun so as to avoid even the potential of an accident. (Speaking only for non-shooting scenarios.)

I was looking at guns at Sportsman's and was handed a gun, mag in and slide closed, to inspect.

Kind of blew my mind a little. I expected to be handed a magazine and a pistol with slide locked back as a sort of gentleman's agreement on it being cleared…at which point I could manipulate to my heart's content.

Seems like just such a "duh" idea when handing someone a gun so as to avoid even the potential of an accident. (Speaking only for non-shooting scenarios.)
Absolutely.

Not only is it practicing gun safety, It is also a gentleman's sign of respect.

They can roll their eyes all they want but I do the EXACT same before passing a gun off - and know others that do it as well.

I would have asked to speak to the manager.

Absolutely.

Not only is it practicing gun safety, It is also a gentleman's sign of respect.
^ Precisely. :s0155:

The Bass Pro buy out F'd up Sportsmans. When I was at the one on 185th when it opened, the slide back mag out and show clear WAS the standard. Place sucks now. I hate going in there as much as I hate going into Cabelas.

My personal rule when handing over or receiving a firearm: slide locked back or bolt open and back, cylinder open, mag in other hand, I not only visually inspect for a cleared chamber, but also show the grip with no mag inserted, same on a removable mag fed rifle! I do the same when handing it back to whom ever, or presenting it to someone! To me, there is no such thing as too careful, and it's the empty gun that always kills! Having worked a very short time at a gun counter, I had twice found a loaded rifle in the rack, having always checked as I always do, this only reenforced the why of always checking!!!

A "hot gun"? So it was stolen, too??? :rolleyes:

One of the guys at coffee this AM was digging into this a bit. Said the 24 year old armorer on the set was nervous about this first job.

View attachment 1056482

Absolutely this will be going into court in a civil suit. Millions settled out of court by the time its all done. But the criminal case is a whole lot different. The 'master' armorer is a female (not that that matters a bit) who has stated that she was 'nervous' on set, like she was out of her depth. 3 NDs plus the fatal shooting, people walking off set because they felt unsafe will be just the start. It just did not need to happen

She said this about her first set armorer job. This was her second. Not a big difference, but may be significant in court.

Obviously, some Hollyweird gun control is in order, now piss off, quit b!tching at us about it and fix your damned selves.

If far left Hollywood were willing to walk the walk, movie sets would have been made gun-free zones years ago. I call on all anti-gun actors to boycott all movies that include guns.

If Alec "Murdering Turd" Baldwin doesnt hire someone from the 2A community to be his personal gun wrangler then he shot her on purpose.
I suppose he already used this to attack gun owners?

Joe

Sorry for the tangent, but I've always found Amy Schumer stiflingly unfunny and generally insufferable. The fact she's anti-2A really isn't helping. :confused:
I posted it in the firearm memes thread instead. Thought it would be a better fit there, but I don't know. I feel very sad for the poor camera lady and her grieving family and think it might be too soon for my sarcasm 😔

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads