JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I asked for it, but my feelings are hurt just a little. :) No, I didn't repurpose some old Mauser stock. If you saw it in person, you'd see that it fits perfectly and balances very well.

That's because I spent many, many hours shaping and fitting it just so, with mostly hand tools. The contour of the bottom of the buttstock is a little off, but I made it a bit thicker on purpose. It's made out of laminated "ApplePly".

The rifle is an old MAK90 that I bought at a sheriff's auction back in the mid '90s for cheap. I made the stock set because I had some nice scraps of ApplePly the right size, and some time off work when my oldest daughter was born. The in-laws stayed with us, so when I wasn't needed, I was in the garage cutting and sanding wood. My daughter now has a car and a job, so that was a few years ago. When she's old enough in just a few more years, this old rifle will be hers if she wants it.
Actually I wouldn't think of it in a negative way… those were some of the best made stocks of the time… anytime that someone is trying to do something new or different it's not a bad thing… it's how new ideas are generated and new innovations

It's funny- I made that stock a long time ago, and was pretty proud of it, but now that I look at the photo of it with a more critical eye, the buttstock shape is very wrong.

If I had to do it again, it would be different. I wouldn't do it again, though. It was WAY too much work.

I guess I asked for it, but my feelings are hurt just a little. :) No, I didn't repurpose some old Mauser stock. If you saw it in person, you'd see that it fits perfectly and balances very well.

That's because I spent many, many hours shaping and fitting it just so, with mostly hand tools. The contour of the bottom of the buttstock is a little off, but I made it a bit thicker on purpose. It's made out of laminated "ApplePly".

The rifle is an old MAK90 that I bought at a sheriff's auction back in the mid '90s for cheap. I made the stock set because I had some nice scraps of ApplePly the right size, and some time off work when my oldest daughter was born. The in-laws stayed with us, so when I wasn't needed, I was in the garage cutting and sanding wood. My daughter now has a car and a job, so that was a few years ago. When she's old enough in just a few more years, this old rifle will be hers if she wants it.
I think that's a damn fine looking stock! What's it supposed to look like? All the rest? Heck no! If feels good to you is all that matters.

It's funny- I made that stock a long time ago, and was pretty proud of it, but now that I look at the photo of it with a more critical eye, the buttstock shape is very wrong.

If I had to do it again, it would be different. I wouldn't do it again, though. It was WAY too much work.
Best kind of gun part is one that works. Looks pretty good too IMO!

More importantly, does it fit you? Can you run the gun with stock as it sits?

Function over fashion, always.

I've gone through more furniture, accessories, optics, and even actual guns that just plain don't fit me. I almost always loved the look. But if I didn't work for me I'd let it go .

I like your homespun stock , and you already know it works for you by now I reckon

All true. Functionality is where it's at. The various plastic vs wood vs pirate shovel- whatever works best for you.

I admit that I have a very critical eye for things I've made myself. I can see every tiny flaw that most people wouldn't notice.

My home-made stock fits me just fine, but to be honest I doubt I've taken that rifle out more than a few times since I made that stock. I like it; I'm just not a real big AK guy. I've tinkered with them a fair amount, even helped build a couple from flats back in the day, so I probably know quite a bit more than most about them, but they're not my favorite gun to take to the range.

Thank you for the nice words. Sorry if I came off as a bit sensitive there.

Back 20+ years ago, when I was more into AKs, we didn't have all the options out there now. I admit, I'm a wood-stock guy myself, but I also recognize from a practical side that there are some excellent options for synthetic AK stocks out there.

The original stock on the Mak90 was an ugly, blocky thumbhole stock that had been gnawed on by a vermin of some kind. That's probably why I got it so cheap at the sheriff's auction. I think I paid about $200.

Around that same time I bought an Egyptian AK at a gun show. I don't see them around anymore. I paid $210 as I recall, and the guy said he had a box of ammo out in his truck that went with it. Turns out, that "box" was a wooden crate with 1,440 rounds of Chicom ammo! It was a pretty good rifle. I let a friend talk me out of it a couple years later.

What is a good AK sling ?

After a quick internet look :

I don't like the cheesy OEM hooks.
They look like something from the craft store.

The Blue Force Gear solution uses the cable connection forward.
Not a fan.

What I would like is an HK hook forward, simple thread-through rear and the BFG style tab tensioner.
Maybe I need to talk to BFG and have them cook it up ?

Not a fan.

What I would like is an HK hook forward, simple thread-through rear and the BFG style tab tensioner.
You mean like the Larry Vickers that BFG makes with HK clips

Not a fan.

I don't hate the magpul version. Spendy for sure tho. Paraclip.

opplanet-magpul-industries-paraclip-black-mpimag541-main.jpg 38353593ea5330cb95.jpg

@Mikej

Ask your ak questions here.

Vska, century, etc.
I wasn't looking to buy one. Just mildly curious what issues are with these particular U.S made guns. I got one from Atlantic that was from a Polish Parts kit. I knew nothing at the time about good/bad AK47s. Apparently I did pretty good with this Circle11from what I hear. Lucked out maybe?

I wasn't looking to buy one. Just mildly curious what issues are with these particular U.S made guns. I got one from Atlantic that was from a Polish Parts kit. I knew nothing at the time about good/bad AK47s. Apparently I did pretty good with this Circle11from what I hear. Lucked out maybe?
We are here to help and as far as the curiosity is… parts kits are generally good to go… I personally avoid WBP made Polish stuff but others have had success with them… the problem with the American manufactured AK is generally limited to the heat treatment or poor quality of certain parts because of using subpar metal etc… trunnions, bolts, extractors and even firing pins… hopefully this gives you a little insight and sounds like you got an excellent AK:s0003:

We are here to help and as far as the curiosity is… parts kits are generally good to go… I personally avoid WBP made Polish stuff but others have had success with them… the problem with the American manufactured AK is generally limited to the heat treatment or poor quality of certain parts because of using subpar metal etc… trunnions, bolts, extractors and even firing pins… hopefully this gives you a little insight and sounds like you got an excellent AK:s0003:
I've only put a couple hundred round through it. The "Nickel Plated" bolt is peeling nickel some. Don't know if that a real problem. I keep it greased good.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top