JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
  2. Want to Trade For
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
458 SOCOM
City
Portland
State
Oregon
Looking for a couple cases. I don't really think I need to have 100 brass cases of this.

Oh and the bulk box of 458 tips.... Don't really know which one I'm looking for yet... but I'd love to see and get a few of this and that.

So why not post and ask for lecture and education.

The YouTube gods haven't been kind to my knowledge search as well.

There any reloading nut willing to straighten me out?

But yeah looking for a.couple cases and tips and knowledge. Gotta know which cases before the primers...

Dont get me started on the nightmare I had about choosing which powder..... Or the rack that I've been being tortured on over which press.

The woe of the big bore adventure.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Not quite sure what you are after but I think maybe your questions would be more effective in the ammunition/reloading section. Starline brass is sold by the 50 and is good brass. Several of us load for the 458 socom and would be glad to lend some guidance in the ammunition/reloading section of the forum.

458 Socom is a unique adventure and not an inexpensive one. I started looking at BCA stuff and quickly decided I didn't want that path. While many have eventually gotten theirs to work, the way they handle the feed ramps is less than desirable relative to bolt life so I went with Tromix.

As to brass, the primary supplier seems to be Starline and the bullets will depend on how you plan to use it. Sub vs supersonic, pistol vs. rifle, suppressed vs non etc. The good news is that bullets are prolific for now since the 45-70 platform uses the same bullets. Most of the barrels you will encounter use pistol length as systems because the powder is burned in a fairly short distance thus the number of ten inch or shorter barrels on the market. Trail Boss is a surprisingly popular powder for this platform.

As to not needing 100 pieces of brass, I would suggest you procure that many because like with many "unique" calibers, down the road brass may be hard to come by.

Best of luck with your quest, big bore is not inexpensive, even reloading I figure I'm just under two bucks a round to shoot it.

I've got a tromix barrel and one day going to get the bolt as well. But like every adventure with parts. It's hoarding. And definitely agree. The finishing of the tromix build is one of the parts on the list. Although bca is fine for a woods upper or more of a tool I'm interested in the difference between both actually.

If I can buy a few. Like 5,10 cases rather than a bigger bag.

And the ability to get some different kinds of tips. Before the entire buying a box of 50. Who knows maybe someone has some partial boxes of 458 tips around I might get turned onto.

I got dies and working on the right press.

It's a great adventure however.

But yeah hopefully can buy a few cases and try getting reloading set up and understanding the process more. I've been warned that this isn't the easiest round to reload.

So maybe I can find a cool mad scientist that's willing to share the knowledge. Totally interested in the difference between tromix and bca as well. Have bca for a beater that's unfired. Got the tromix upper project down to hand guard barrel nut shims and bcg and upk.

Best addiction ever...

Seriously... Keeps me really happy on this adventure. However I'm really not going to be blasting massive amounts of ammo. It's cool to make it and stack some mags in case I have a herd of T-Rex that are terrorizing the neighborhood. One day I'll think about more cases.

And that hecking fricking friend that gifted me the most incredible deal on the 458 socom die set. You are an amazing person to have done that, or a wickedly evil person for hooking me into the reloading addiction. I have seen the darkside of the pew pew community. And I think it's a worthwhile addiction to get into. I'm just trying to limit my addiction.

So yeah wild... Pew pew pew!

Good pick on the tromix, I got the 14.5 inch barrel with attached muzzle break and bolt from them last month. I loaded BiMart hornaday 300 grain jacketed hollow points with imr4198 in the upper 30's grain wise and it was a good starting load. I also am looking for brass after cleaning out my local bimarts on bullets. It's a fun gun. Rll

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.