JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't think that there is a thread for the AK rifle that helps new and yes even those of us that are not so new to the AK rifle. The internet has a plethora of garbage and some decent facts and ideas about the AK.

I want this place for helping out everyone. We can and will debate different aspects of the rifle. I don't want it to get into the discussion of AK vs AR vs whatever… That is for another thread.

I would also like to help people with what to look for in buying your first AK or if you left having an AK and then decided to come back to it. Always remember to be considerate of others and try to keep on subject. From time to time I will tag various people in the thread and hopefully we can get people educated on this amazing firearm (the AK) before someone takes away our inherent rights.

Last Edited:
I did not type this out but Rob is an awesome guy and he pointed me to the AK and correct information years ago. "So called "milled" type is basically AK receiver made during machining process out of solid block of metal by use of different milling machines. On the other hand, so called "stamped" Ak receiver is made by use of stamping press, where receivers, literally are stamp out in sheet metal. This is as basic description of manufacturing processes as it gets. Supporters of "milled" version very often appeal to "purists" crowd by falsely stating that first AK was manufactured based on machined receiver. According to them, this is the only "acceptable" way how AK rifles should be built. This argument can't be farther from the truth. In reality, AK 46 (yes, "46"), was produced as two prototypes: one with a milled receiver (AK-1) and one with a stamped receiver (AK-2). AK-2 was to be an end product while AK-1 was to be used during field testing by the Red Army. Because of these field trials and based on feedback from the testing units, other AK versions were produced. Finally, in 1949 (yes it was 1949), the prototype AK-47 number 2 and number 4 were accepted by the Red Army and their official designations became AK (with fixed stock) and AKS (with under-folding stock). As my friend Bart "Sergei" Norman wrote in one of his articles on this subject "Both the AK-47 number 2 and number 4 had a specific receiver that was deep stamped.

ak49-type1.jpg
AK Type 1. Picture from Bart "Sergei" Norman
These were called AK type I". So there you have it, AK type 1 was made on stamped receiver and not machined one, like "milled" supporters and "purists" would like you to believe. Originally AK was designed to be made on stamped receiver; however, at that time the Izhevsk factory that was awarded production of the AK rifles did not have the capacity for a mass production using deep stamping (deep drawing) method. So out of necessity, the AK type II was created based on machined receivers. Now, let's have a look at some other arguments used in these "Stamped vs Milled" discussions. One of the points used to support "milled" way of thinking is claim that only machined receivers can give durability to survive decades of battlefield abuse. This is another "stretched" argument."

This is what he said to help explain a little bit about milled vs stamped.

After looking at the above mentioned about milled and stamped receivers let's look at other stuff/ options. What to get? Well just like other firearms, what is the intended use?

Are you just going to go out periodically and shoot the rifle?
Are you entering competitions?
Are you expecting an invasion? Or civil unrest?
Where do you live?
What is your budget?
Do you buy new or used?

Want purist AK design? Get a stamped type 1 and realize the issues of the type 1 design that made them stick with the type 2 and 3 until the AKM. By the time they adopted the AKM, they solved the issues they had with stamped receivers. The issue was never stamped inherently so much as not having the capability to consistently make a good stamped receiver at the time.

Practically, no real reason to stick to one vs the other except aftermarket support and maybe the small weight difference.

What caliber do you get the rifle in?
Do you care about the "tacticool" stuff?
Do you want an under folder?fixed stock? Side folder?
Do you get a Russian? Yugo? Chinese? American? Romanian? Bulgarian? Hungarian? Czech?

Want purist AK design? Get a stamped type 1 and realize the issues of the type 1 design that made them stick with the type 2 and 3 until the AKM. By the time they adopted the AKM, they solved the issues they had with stamped receivers. The issue was never stamped inherently so much as not having the capability to consistently make a good stamped receiver at the time.

Practically, no real reason to stick to one vs the other except aftermarket support and maybe the small weight difference.
Agreed! I think that it's a great rifle and the weight difference between milled vs stamped is maybe a pound. What else do you suggest for people that are new to the rifle to look for in getting a good quality?

Last Edited:
Where you start asking yourself these questions you can then start making your decision. I also suggest looking at the rifle in person before buying it.
This is probably the most important.
Each one is a special little angel, a blessed blessed blessing full of love.

And like all God's children, some can be a different kind of special.

Not all IOs ( or pioneer) are ticking time bombs, and I bet there is a mak 90 out there somewhere still mint in box that has a cracked reciever, maybe near the trigger pin.

Howdy, what i say is just opinion, I didn't write the book on anything and haven't read every page so I don't know it all. :)

I find whats best to learn with is comparison, "whats different" should bring to light information that fills the noggin with why something is better.

Once you read why something is thought to be better then you seek out a way to try one for your self.

History will guide you on the AK and knowing who made it for what kind of wars and tactics. How long was it supposed to last? How accurate was it supposed to be. What were the troops like it was designed for?

The more questions you ask the greater the learning. Only better way to learn is shooting one.

This is probably the most important.
Each one is a special little angel, a blessed blessed blessing full of love.

And like all God's children, some can be a different kind of special.

Not all IOs ( or pioneer) are ticking time bombs, and I bet there is a mak 90 out there somewhere still mint in box that has a cracked reciever, maybe near the trigger pin.
Nice :D

So, what about ammunition? What should the caliber be? Take in consideration current and possible future ammunition issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top