JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gentlemen,
I am interested in getting a Model 29 with a 8 3/8" barrel. I don't currently have a 44 Magnum and would like to add a nice blued one to the stable. When looking them up, there are many 29-2, 29-4 pinned and recesse. I would like to know, what is the one to get? It my be person choice, but I'm looking for a very desirable one. Let me know what the experts think! Thank you in advance.

Older the better. 5-screw pinned/recessed (pre-Bangor Punta ownership) are the premiere 29s to have. You will pay, but you will not lose money on an older one.

Last Edited:
For ME.....
I'd start by looking for a SS one. Yes.....I do realize that some people like blued steel. So then....to each his own.

And, NO "Hillary Hole".

1688420427728.png

Aloha, Mark

PS......some of the "good stuff" to know.

Here's my take on it.
I think it's nostalgic to champion the "5 screw" and the "no Hillary hole".
I have both in my collection and for actual performance, I don't see a difference.
I just acquired a 629 Classic 6.5" and it's another boringly accurate shooter with a superb trigger break.
Smith-and-Wesson-629-Deluxe-13-800x449.jpg
I think a 4" looks the nicest, a 6" is a nice compromise and the 8" is too long (for my taste).

If you want to learn all about S&W revolvers, get the latest version of the Standard Catalog.
On the cheap, go to your library.

Last Edited:
For shooting I find the 6 inch barrel offers a perfect balance. Terrific balance. Terrific trigger. Tremendous noise. Not too bad a kick. Great firearm. Love mine.

I agree with po18guy on which ones to buy. But they're all pretty darn good compared to virtually any other revolver out there. BUT look the firearm over very, very closely before you buy ... to make sure its been taken good care of.

I'd look for a 29-2. Still beautifully blued and pinned and recessed ( although some later examples might not be recessed)
Earlier 4 and 5 screw an 29 "no dashes" are lovely, but very expensive for a nice example and still expensive for a not nice example.
29-1, there's only about 30 of those, so very, very not cheap.
A stainless 629 might be a better everyday shooter.
4" look coolest, 8" are a bit extra, so I'd agree with the earlier poster that 6" are a sweet spot.

I have a Model 29 of one variety or another in 3", 5", 6", and 8 3/8".

My favorite? Hard to choose; I especially like to shoot the 8 3/8" 629-1 at the range, but I also really like my old 29-2 6" for looks. It has that deep, rich bluing and smooth, fancy rosewood grips, mahogany presentation case. It would be worth a pretty penny if it was in the same condition as when I bought it over 30 years ago. It's still very nice, just not pristine anymore.

The only newer one I have is a 5" Mountain Gun, complete with MIM parts and locking hole. It's a very nice gun and a great shooter, but to me it doesn't seem to have quite the same aesthetics as the older guns.

It's funny, I started out with longer barrel revolvers, so my perspective is perhaps a bit different. I always thought that 6" was standard, 4" was short, and less than that was just silly. My first revolver as a teenager was a Dan Wesson .357 Mag with the 15" target barrel. Later I bought a well-worn, 4" nickel plated 29-2 that I really liked. It was stolen out of my truck in '99, and I bought a 3" 29 to replace it. 4" is great, but honestly 3" is just a bit too short for a .44 Magnum, in my opinion.

So, if you just want a good shooter, a newer one should do fine. If you want something nice, with old-school aesthetics, spend some money for an older one. And if you want something that will hold up to lots of shooting and heavy loads, get a Ruger. :)

Edit: I just re-read your first post. It looks to me like you want the original Dirty Harry gun, a long-barrel 29-2, classic deep S&W blueing, pinned and recessed. If you don't mind spending some good money, you should be able to find just what you're looking for. It will be really nice, but it won't be cheap. If you know what you want and can afford it, go for it.

Last Edited:
Gentlemen,
I am interested in getting a Model 29 with a 8 3/8" barrel. I don't currently have a 44 Magnum and would like to add a nice blued one to the stable. When looking them up, there are many 29-2, 29-4 pinned and recesse. I would like to know, what is the one to get? It my be person choice, but I'm looking for a very desirable one. Let me know what the experts think! Thank you in advance.
Hello @Gunfighter47 --
If by "desireable" you mean "desirable to collectors", that would be the no dash, 29-1, and 29-2. That is, the recessed/pinned models. As seen sellers mention the gun having 5screws too. So maybe that makes it more desirable to collectors. If you care about that that would eliminate the 29-3.

However, those wouldn't be the most desirable to me because they are more likely to break than later models. When SW first made 29s, people were not firing them with full power loads routinely. Most people practiced with lighter loads. In addition, heavier bullets started to become popular . Then silhouette competitions became popular, so substantial numbers of people were both practicing and using their guns very heavily with heavy bullets loaded hot. The 29s were too lightly built for that kind of use and tended to break in various ways. So in models 29-4 and 29-5 SW strengthened the gun in various ways so that by 29-5 and 29-6 the gun is much sturdier and better able to handle heavy use with heavy loads. -5 and -6 differ only by grips. I would choose one of those models if I were buying, as I care more about the guns endurance than collectors value. And also because the pinned recessed guns cost way more than the 29-5s and 29-6s, and Im not a collector. However, most people, myself included, are unlikely to shoot the gun enough with heavy loads to break or wear the gun out. After the 29-6 SW started a series of redesigns and changes designed to lower the cost of production. The result was guns that were not as nicely fit and finished, that did not have the super smooth DA and SA triggers, and weren't generally as accurate. I love those super slick trigger pulls, and can't be happy with the newer Smiths. However, the triggers on the new 29s are still better than Rugers'. And most people wouldnt notice any difference in accuracy unless they were better shooters than I or are using a scope. I sometimes use scopes.

Last Edited:
I have a 529 with a 8 3/8" barrel. Love it but the dang cylinder doesn't advance, it's a pre Hillary hole version.

However, those wouldn't be the most desirable to me because they are more likely to break than later models. When SW first made 29s, people were not firing them with full power loads routinely. Most people practiced with lighter loads. In addition, heavier bullets started to become popular . Then silhouette competitions became popular, so substantial numbers of people were both practicing and using their guns very heavily with heavy bullets loaded hot. The 29s were too lightly built for that kind of use and tended to break in various ways. So in models 29-4 and 29-5 SW strengthened the gun in various ways so that by 29-5 and 29-6 the gun is much sturdier and better able to handle heavy use with heavy loads. -5 and -6 differ only by grips. I would choose one of those models if I were buying, as I care more about the guns endurance than collectors value. And also because the pinned recessed guns cost way more than the 29-5s and 29-6s, and Im not a collector. However, most people, myself included, are unlikely to shoot the gun enough with heavy loads to break or wear the gun out. After the 29-6 SW started a series of redesigns and changes designed to lower the cost of production. The result was guns that were not as nicely fit and finished, that did not have the super smooth DA and SA triggers, and weren't generally as accurate. I love those super slick trigger pulls, and can't be happy with the newer Smiths. However, the triggers on the new 29s are still better than Rugers'. And most people wouldnt notice any difference in accuracy unless they were better shooters than I or are using a scope. I sometimes use scopes.
These two posts go hand in hand. I remember when S&W addressed these issues.

These two posts go hand in hand. I remember when S&W addressed these issues.
I fixed mine, was caused from lack of use. The oil turned and gummed up the innards. I performed a complete disassembly, cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner, relubed, and reassembled multiple times due to mistakes. Once completed though, she runs like a champ.

I fixed mine, was caused from lack of use. The oil turned and gummed up the innards. I performed a complete disassembly, cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner, relubed, and reassembled multiple times due to mistakes. Once completed though, she runs like a champ.
Nice! The symptom you described was one of the issues S&W addressed. Fortunately that wasn't your gun's problem.

I presently have two of the newer ones. One blued with 6½" barrel, the other stainless with 5". I like the former better, but the latter is certainly a good packing revolver. Both are very accurate and have worked with any loads I've fed them.

1705196972372.png
1705196982967.png

My first 29 was a nickel 4" which came to me by way of a relative. That was 30 years ago give or take . From there the itch has only gotten worse lol. "Desireable" is gonna cost you as the 29 is one of the most popular models (nod to Elmer) and ol Harry only helped that popularity. If expendable cash is in abundance I'd probably try and acquire a 4" early no dash or at the very least a -2. While any barrel length is better than not having a 29 at all the early short barrels usually hold their market value well . For a working 29, that is one to shoot and carry, you can't go wrong with many other variations offered as long as your ok overcoming the quirks they all have. Many noted in this thread. As a long time Smith collector I avoid "the hole" for most pieces but there are several hole models worth seeking out. Some of Smiths PC models are fantastic shooters as well as limited in production. Happy hunting !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top