JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone interested in building an AK yourself?

Build parties are best broken into 3 sessions. It is impossible to show up with a kit and a flat and expect to have a working rifle in the same day.

De-mill party
Flat bending party
Build party

If people are able to de-mill their kits themselves (or with help from friends) BEFORE the party, aaaaand aquire a Nodak Spud or other pre-made receiver, then it can be expected to have complete rifles.

Disclaimer:
The rifles in the build party must be made with the proper number of US compliance parts and will be in semi-auto configuration only.

The most important thing is having someone with a large garage that can host the party.

Lots of good info here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=51

Kits may be found at Copesdist.com, FTFIndustries, floridagunworks.com, etc

They can be found on the AR15.com Equipment exchange also. I think there was one for sale here on NWFA.

Do not buy a "Virgin" kit or one that has a cut barrel or "new" barrel.

We should get a location first, before spending cash on parts.

I would recommend getting a Romanian "G" kit. They seem pretty inexpensive and are easy to build.

If a parts kit seems reeeeeeealy cheap compared to others you have seen, then there may be a reason. Cut-barrel, virgin, etc.

Stay away from milled receiver AK kits.

<broken link removed>

If we go the pre-made receiver route, these guys are the best. They can ship to the FFL that is in your area.

Pre made = 80+ FRN's

Bending your own for a newbie is easy and cheap at a build party if you have no tools costs you about 15.00 FRN's + Shipping, A 1/2 rack of beer or A bottle of whiskey. You will find out that most of us that have tools/jigs will let newbie builders use them when we are avaiable. Bending a flat takes about 10-15min most that is setup time! Best of all no Bully Government!!

The Last build party (nearly a year ago) I went to I completed 2 in 1 night (pre de-milled and heat treated rails)

A guy I know who did 5 in one night using screws he even screwed the rails on. All screws were purchased locally at www.columbiaairmotive.com grade 8 aircraft quality.

www.ak-builder.com for flats..

Romy G Flats Wit Rails Are 14.95 FRN's I don't think he has a flat over 35.00 FRN's

I am ordering some flats on monday/tuesday if anyone needs one or a couple let me know. Via PM it will save a FRN or two in shipping if we split the shipping.

FRN = Federal Reserve Note (for the newbies)

I may have an aircraft hanger avaiable for the build party.

:cool:

I'm in the portland area - would love to get together... I've got most of the components but need rivets, jigs, and would like to add some stiffeners to an underfolder I have...

There's a new gunshop on TV Highway in Hillsboro that sells build parts, rivets etc. It all Tapco stuff.

I'm down for a build party. I've never done a build, but I've got a complete Yugo RPK kit and a 100% Nodak Spud reciever waiting to be built.

Nathan

There's a new gunshop on TV Highway in Hillsboro that sells build parts, rivets etc. It all Tapco stuff.

I'm down for a build party. I've never done a build, but I've got a complete Yugo RPK kit and a 100% Nodak Spud reciever waiting to be built.

Nathan

Sounds like a place I need to visit - where's it located? What's it called?

A good price on a kit looks like $325 right now from FTF Industries, and the flat is ~$15.

Add $10 for beer and 30$ for Whiskey, you are at $380.

The value of having put together your very own AK-47? Priceless. ;)

A good price on a kit looks like $325 right now from FTF Industries, and the flat is ~$15.

Add $10 for beer and 30$ for Whiskey, you are at $380.

The value of having put together your very own AK-47? Priceless. ;)

too bad copes is out of the $99 rust buckets good starters

Dont for get the price of US parts ( receiver flat counts as 1)

FCG (counts as 3)
Gas tube
stock
pistol grip
handgaurds

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR