JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
Reactions
The Oregon Hunters Association (OHA) Columbia County Chapter and Oregon Dept of Fish & Wildlife are working to refurbish a shut down trap course on Sauvie island. OHA has bought the materials, and have a date of August 17th to build the new range. This range is on Public land and will be FREE to use for the general public.

They need some volunteer help! This will be cool!!!

Saturday August 17th on the west side unit of Sauvie Island Wildlife area for a volunteer project constructing a new shotgun shooting trap range! This project is being funded by our chapter and the more volunteers we can get, the better!

We will be meeting at 0800 at the Westside check in area and driving a short mile to the shotgun shooting area where we will be building new shooting stations, back stop, etc. Make your way to Reeder Rd an watch for the OHA direction signs. This map link should be close to the meeting place: 45°43'54.5"N 122°46'24.5"W

If you can bring tools to help with the construction it is greatly appreciated. A power source will be available on site as well!

All member/volunteers will also be entered into the quarterly attendance drawing for there help!

If you are able to help or have any questions please contact Eric Strand, OHA, at 503.750.8271

Look forward to seeing you there!

Last Edited:
I asked because......

There happens to be a public shotgun wildlife/hunting/range area out by Lake Vancouver, WA. Probably on Federal Lands or probably partially funded with Federal money. Perhaps the Pittman Robinson Act monies were involved?

Nice.

Anyway, I went there once (more than 5 years ago) to see if I could shoot some clay targets. Once there, I saw the signs that prohibited the use of lead shot. So then, YES, federal hunting laws and all that prohibitions on lead shot, birds being poisoned, the environment, etc.... Yup, even though I don't hunt.....I've heard of those laws. There was a nice area of cleared, flat, leveled field, next to the parking lot. Probably used for clay bird throwing/shooting. But, "Target Shooting" of a shotgun while on the range with only "steel shot" is expensive. It's best that I forget about shooting here or next time, spend more money for steel (bismuth, whatever, etc....) if I want to use that range

But then.....
Right across that range...... is an area where it's probably illegal to shoot. Yup....evidenced by the many expended hulls on the ground. I don't think that the people were hunting and they were probably using lead shot too. Probably just shooting at clays.

The point of the story being.......

If you wanted to have a safe area/designated to shoot shotguns.......
Well, the majority of the shotgun shells in this country is still loaded with lead. So, why have a range that only limits the shooter to steel shot? Do you think that the birds know that.....on this side, there is steel shot on the ground and on the other side there is lead?

And, I don't want to get started........
On how Clark County chooses to ignore the shooting sports.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
In talking with Jordan Hicks this evening, (Pres of the Columbia County Chapter of OHA), it sounds like we'll be setting posts (holes already dug) and building partitions between lanes along with some backers (what ever that is). ODFW has already done field mowing and basic ground work. OHA has all the materials we need (over $3000 in materials).

We'll need some extension cords (they will have generators), Skill saws, cordless drills, Tape measures and levels. I'm sure a few of us will bring wire cutters, hammers and basic hand tools.

Yes, steel shot will be the required shot to shoot there.

He is going to confirm, with ODFW, that we get to be the first to 'Test' the range, so bring a shotgun, a thrower and some clays. There will not be any mechanical device on site for throwing clays, so any time you go you'll need a thrower of some sort. (If a thrower were installed there it would get stollen or shot). The range will not be staffed and there's no RSO on site.

Lunch is provided!

I like the part about: All member/volunteers will also be entered into the quarterly attendance drawing for there help! They have over $300 in prizes to give away! Cool!

I hope we can make a good showing and support the shooting sports by attending and claiming ownership in public land shooting. This is a good thing that's going on. We should get behind this kind of opportunity.

Thanks All!

Bill

The Oregon Hunters Association (OHA) Columbia County Chapter and Oregon Dept of Fish & Wildlife are working to refurbish a shut down trap course on Sauvie island. OHA has bought the materials, and have a date of August 17th to build the new range. This range is on Public land and will be FREE to use for the general public.

Saturday August 17th on the west side unit of Sauvie Island Wildlife area for a volunteer project constructing a new shotgun shooting trap range! This project is being funded by our chapter and the more volunteers we can get, the better!

We will be meeting at 0800 at the Westside check in area and driving a short mile to the shotgun shooting area where we will be building new shooting stations, back stop, etc. Make your way to Reeder Rd an watch for the OHA direction signs. This map link should be close to the meeting place: 45°43'54.5"N 122°46'24.5"W

If you can bring tools to help with the construction it is greatly appreciated. A power source will be available on site as well!

All member/volunteers will also be entered into the quarterly attendance drawing for there help!

If you are able to help or have any questions please contact Eric Strand, OHA, at 503.750.8271

I don't know if I'll be in town or not that day but if I'm in town I will help. I can bring lots of tools if needed. I probably won't ever shoot there actually but I love what you guys are doing and want to support it!

I don't know if I'll be in town or not that day but if I'm in town I will help. I can bring lots of tools if needed. I probably won't ever shoot there actually but I love what you guys are doing and want to support it!
Ha! Same here. Don't know I'll ever shoot there, but...

I just like any opportunity to help get more places to shoot.

Hope to meet you there.

This sounds cool, had no idea there was an old trap range on Sauvie Island. Have to choose between this one and the TNL cleanup in Sisters the following weekend, leaning towards Sisters but can't wait to see pics when this is done. As the gun community here in the NW I think we should all get behind the idea that shooting clays should ONLY be done at a designated trap/skeet facility. I'm so sick of picking up shells and wads out in the woods.

Any possibility of a rifle and pistol range? Granted its good to have a place to shoot but not all of us shoot trap or only like to shoot trap

Any possibility of a rifle and pistol range? Granted its good to have a place to shoot but not all of us shoot trap or only like to shoot trap
Nothing for rifle or pistol range on Sauvie Island at this time (that I have heard of), however, that will be a question I'll bring up with ODFW at the event this Saturday. If not there, perhaps they will consider something around the Scappose or St Helens area.

Nothing for rifle or pistol range on Sauvie Island at this time (that I have heard of), however, that will be a question I'll bring up with ODFW at the event this Saturday. If not there, perhaps they will consider something around the Scappose or St Helens area.

Been to a few of them. Only reason i ask is because its on public land. It's also easier to get to and their are not many easy areas to shoot rifles and pistols. What tools are needed? or do you just need more hands?

Been to a few of them. Only reason i ask is because its on public land. It's also easier to get to and their are not many easy areas to shoot rifles and pistols. What tools are needed? or do you just need more hands?
Basic hands would be just great. Sounds like we'll need some extension cords (they will have generators), Skill saws, cordless drills, Tape measures and levels. I'm sure a few of us will bring wire cutters, hammers and basic hand tools.

I'm not quite sure what to expect, but I know OHA has got it together and they'll have most of what we need, so, just bodies who can get it done!

Thanks, Savage!

Basic hands would be just great. Sounds like we'll need some extension cords (they will have generators), Skill saws, cordless drills, Tape measures and levels. I'm sure a few of us will bring wire cutters, hammers and basic hand tools.

I'm not quite sure what to expect, but I know OHA has got it together and they'll have most of what we need, so, just bodies who can get it done!

Thanks, Savage!

See what i can do, definitly want to give back

See what i can do, definitly want to give back
Yeah, I think the idea is that we show ODFW, and other managing agencies, that we care about having quality places to shoot, (even if we won't be using that facility). It shows support for the shooting sports and helps to open doors for future projects in other areas. Therefore, I like to make a show when ever I can.

Thanks for chipping in!

"PULL!"

We're good to shoot! ODFW confirmed we are okay to shoot clay after the build. If you have a thrower, bring it. Otherwise, there OHA folks are bringing a couple. I have a hand thrower I'll bring. And steel shot! No lead.

Hope to meet some of you there! I'll be the guy wearing clothes (haven't gotten my summer tan yet!). :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top