Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK Build party!!!

Discussion in 'Events & Get Togethers' started by coctailer, Dec 6, 2008.

1. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Anyone interested in building an AK yourself?

Build parties are best broken into 3 sessions. It is impossible to show up with a kit and a flat and expect to have a working rifle in the same day.

De-mill party
    Flat bending party
    Build party

If people are able to de-mill their kits themselves (or with help from friends) BEFORE the party, aaaaand aquire a Nodak Spud or other pre-made receiver, then it can be expected to have complete rifles.

Disclaimer:
    The rifles in the build party must be made with the proper number of US compliance parts and will be in semi-auto configuration only.

The most important thing is having someone with a large garage that can host the party.

2. coctailer

3. Visceral

Visceral Portland, OR Member

Thats a great idea. Point me to a kit that I can buy thats decent and I'm in!

I've been AR-only for many years, but I'd love to build an AK to see how it works.

4. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

I too would be very interested if someone would point me in the right direction on what I need to buy, where to buy it, and how much it would cost. I would be in for sure.

5. coctailer

Lots of good info here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=51

Kits may be found at Copesdist.com, FTFIndustries, floridagunworks.com, etc

They can be found on the AR15.com Equipment exchange also. I think there was one for sale here on NWFA.

Do not buy a "Virgin" kit or one that has a cut barrel or "new" barrel.

We should get a location first, before spending cash on parts.

I would recommend getting a Romanian "G" kit. They seem pretty inexpensive and are easy to build.

If a parts kit seems reeeeeeealy cheap compared to others you have seen, then there may be a reason. Cut-barrel, virgin, etc.

Stay away from milled receiver AK kits.

6. coctailer

7. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

+1

8. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

Pre made = 80+ FRN's

Bending your own for a newbie is easy and cheap at a build party if you have no tools costs you about 15.00 FRN's + Shipping, A 1/2 rack of beer or A bottle of whiskey. You will find out that most of us that have tools/jigs will let newbie builders use them when we are avaiable. Bending a flat takes about 10-15min most that is setup time! Best of all no Bully Government!!

The Last build party (nearly a year ago) I went to I completed 2 in 1 night (pre de-milled and heat treated rails)

A guy I know who did 5 in one night using screws he even screwed the rails on. All screws were purchased locally at www.columbiaairmotive.com grade 8 aircraft quality.

www.ak-builder.com for flats..

Romy G Flats Wit Rails Are 14.95 FRN's I don't think he has a flat over 35.00 FRN's

I am ordering some flats on monday/tuesday if anyone needs one or a couple let me know. Via PM it will save a FRN or two in shipping if we split the shipping.

FRN = Federal Reserve Note (for the newbies)

I may have an aircraft hanger avaiable for the build party.

:cool:

9. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

I'm in the portland area - would love to get together... I've got most of the components but need rivets, jigs, and would like to add some stiffeners to an underfolder I have...

10. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

so for a build party all i need is a flat, and a parts kit. everything else will be there if i bring some beer and some whiskey. lol what about serial numbers on the flats?

11. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

You will still need little items, if you don't have I am sure some one may have to sell. I know I always have extra parts around.

12. PosterGuy

PosterGuy Hillsboro Member

There's a new gunshop on TV Highway in Hillsboro that sells build parts, rivets etc. It all Tapco stuff.

I'm down for a build party. I've never done a build, but I've got a complete Yugo RPK kit and a 100% Nodak Spud reciever waiting to be built.

Nathan

13. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

will there be strippers :laugh:

i'm in for a demill

14. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Sounds like a place I need to visit - where's it located? What's it called?

15. Visceral

Allright... we have some momentum here. Let's see if we can find a date and a place.

Momentum, momentum, momentum!

16. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun, having never attempted something like this before. Would would you estimate the parts cost's to be?

17. Visceral

A good price on a kit looks like $325 right now from FTF Industries, and the flat is ~$15.

Add $10 for beer and 30$ for Whiskey, you are at $380.

The value of having put together your very own AK-47? Priceless. ;)

18. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

too bad copes is out of the $99 rust buckets good starters

Dont for get the price of US parts ( receiver flat counts as 1)

FCG (counts as 3)
    Gas tube
    stock
    pistol grip
    handgaurds

19. Visceral

I was under the impression that the Romy G kit from FTF came with all that... :huh:

20. eldbillbo

you might want the double check that. it does not state so.