JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't tell anyone, but I ended up with a Glock 20 that I was going to turn over, after shooting it, I will keep it around. Just traded for a Glock 21C, scared to shoot it as I might want to keep it as well!

All I see here is an admittance that Glocks need to have multiple parts replaced to be an acceptable gun. I'm glad one of you finally admitted it.

I've owned a few glocks and never had one failure or problem with them factory. But I've read a few reports on the failures glock has had have been from people putting after market parts on them.
Thus their motto "perfection" as long as you don't "make it better" it will always work flawlessly.
I just love that I can use the same accessories for my two guns.
I have a G26 and a G34. I use the same mags and same holsters.
Win, win. That's what made me buy them to begin with.

A real mans firearm that doesn't require half of its guts replaced upon purchase - 1911's, Revolvers, etc.

I have yet to meet someone who hasn't gutted their 1911 and upgraded it, unless they paid over a grand. I can buy two glocks for that price carry twice the ammo in one gun.
And three times the ammo in one gun than you can with a revolver.

Sad thing is, this isn't the first, or even the second time I have "accidentally" won a gun auction. I can't help myself. I put in ridiculously low bids all the time not thinking there is any chance of winning, and sometimes end up with guns that I had no real intention of buying.

Looking at the prices these sell for I got a great deal. And I just read that this model is somewhat rare compared to most. I guess Glock limits the number they produce, and won't be making anymore of these for five years. Of course, that was just one article and I haven't had a chance to verify.

So if I really don't like it I think it will be easy to sell. Think I got lucky this time.

Don't forget, you can SBR it, you can do a 9mm or 357 sig conversion..... you can hang it off your key chain buy using the lanyard hole (if you got one), you can put a factory 22 round mag and use it as a boomerang...... the possibilities are endless :) and like a fat chick, it will always be there for you lol.

Either I'm not understanding what you're getting at, or you're speaking from a lot of ignorance, partner. Nothing on a Glock needs replacing. People frequently upgrade triggers and sights, for preference, but absolutely nothing is "required." Quite contrary to 1911s, which generally need to be completely overhauled by a good smith before being put into service.

I'm not sure where you are getting your 1911's, but they are still the semi-auto that all others dream to be, including the Glock. I need to get my hands on a G20, but besides that I have no use for them. That doesn't mean they aren't great firearms, they are, but we are going to see Sig do to Glock what Glock did to S&W and that is take a loss at the PD's to get the "civilian" sales.

1911's are made perfect. The fact that Gen 4 Glocks come with 3 or 4 different backstraps would point to the opposite for them.

I have two Glocks. No need to change anything.

When there are accessories around, guys will buy them, necessary or not. ARs, mossberg 500s, Remington 870s, Glocks, S&W M&Ps, and a host of other firearms are proof of this. In reality, they're all great out of the box.

All jokes and pokes aside, this one nailed it. Glocks are fabulous guns. The only reason I traded my G17 was that I was getting out of 9mm. I am a traditionalist, but that doesn't take away from Glocks reliability and the new-found accuracy in the Gen 4's. I forget the part, but a barrel band(?) or something from the Gen 3 G30 is now in all the standard full size G4's as well, greatly increasing accuracy. It was in an article by Massad Ayoob, so he was probably just cribbing from someone that had been their before.

Being a certified Glock armored I can say with complete impartiality that the worst Glock with out run, out last, out perform, and generally outlive the best 1911ever conceived.
;-)

I have a Colt that was made in 1912 that would love to argue. I inherited it from a family member that recently died at 106.

Glocks are fine guns and I am not arguing that. There are fine working examples of 1911's that are 100 years old and work great. A lot of times they are just too valuable to shoot. The oldest American Glock would be less than 30 years old and will work just as well as any S&W semi of the same age and if you're lucky, it might shoot as good as a 1911 from 1985.

Being a certified Glock armored I can say with complete impartiality that the worst Glock with out run, out last, out perform, and generally outlive the best 1911ever conceived.
;-)

Highest profile 1911 users: Sgt. York, Col. Cooper, MSgt. Gary Gordon. All three of these men were weapons using a tool.

Highest profile Glock user: James Yeager, a tool who uses a weapon.

I'm not at all trying to offend, but isn't 1911/Glock=apples/oranges?

Capacity is great, but Sgt. York killed 6 Germans with his 1911 before reloading. I honestly believe higher capacity has destroyed marksmanship. Didn't we fire 40-50 rounds per kill in WWII & 10,000 per kill in Vietnam?

Glocks are great tools and function very well a good deal of the time. But nothing says, "Oh bubblegum that guy means business!" like a 1911 in the hand." This is just my personal experience, you may have different stories. The two fellers I work with carry Door Stops, and they are good guns. When they have to employ them, they function as needed. However, when "Big Sexy" comes out, which is my Springfield Loaded in hard chrome BTW, folks pay attention to her and respect. I blame media inoculation for the lack of response to a plastic gun, but can't deny the difference I've seen first hand. Bad guys respond to big, scary looking firearms. Just so everyone feels better, I still love Glocks...

Last Edited:
I'm not at all trying to offend, but isn't 1911/Glock=apples/oranges?

Capacity is great, but Sgt. York killed 6 Germans with his 1911 before reloading. I honestly believe higher capacity has destroyed marksmanship. Didn't we fire 40-50 rounds per kill in WWII & 10,000 per kill in Vietnam?

Hand Sgt. York a high cap Glock and he basically wins the entire European theater single handed. LOL

I have yet to meet someone who hasn't gutted their 1911 and upgraded it, unless they paid over a grand. I can buy two glocks for that price carry twice the ammo in one gun.
And three times the ammo in one gun than you can with a revolver.

So, how did this turn into a 1911 bashing thread?!?!

I have a Ruger SR1911 that is "box stock". No need to replace anything. Period.

So, how did this turn into a 1911 bashing thread?!?!

I have a Ruger SR1911 that is "box stock". No need to replace anything. Period.

Hey! I have that same gun! One of the first 5,000! No changes at all. I will eventually get the Commander as well and probably won't change anything.

In all fairness, a National Match barrel can make a lot of difference if your gun isn't shooting out of the box. My best 1911 and best semi-auto is my RIA(I never would have guessed it until I owned it) with a NM barrel and extended beavertail. On that one, the barrel was stock and the beavertail was added. My most valuable 1911 is worth about $1,200. I have owned many and if anyone would have told me a $500 RIA would be my favorite, I would have laughed out loud. I want to own a top of the line 1911 some day.

Bu yeah, wasn't this thread about a XD guy that fell for a Glock? Personally, I couldn't stand the XD's when they came out and I haven't given them a chance since. I would like to check out one of the sub-compacts in .40S&W. I'd like to own a Springfield EMP, but I still can't figure out why those are so expensive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top