JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not at all trying to offend, but isn't 1911/Glock=apples/oranges?

Capacity is great, but Sgt. York killed 6 Germans with his 1911 before reloading. I honestly believe higher capacity has destroyed marksmanship. Didn't we fire 40-50 rounds per kill in WWII & 10,000 per kill in Vietnam?

No, bro... 7-round magazines killed marksmanship. You know, 'cause they all ran out of ammo and were shot to death.

Thread's going just as expected. I've always found Glock Fan to have no measurable sense of humor. Dull and boring, just like their guns.

znap2v.jpg

Hey! I have that same gun! One of the first 5,000! No changes at all. I will eventually get the Commander as well and probably won't change anything.

In all fairness, a National Match barrel can make a lot of difference if your gun isn't shooting out of the box. My best 1911 and best semi-auto is my RIA(I never would have guessed it until I owned it) with a NM barrel and extended beavertail. On that one, the barrel was stock and the beavertail was added. My most valuable 1911 is worth about $1,200. I have owned many and if anyone would have told me a $500 RIA would be my favorite, I would have laughed out loud. I want to own a top of the line 1911 some day.

Bu yeah, wasn't this thread about a XD guy that fell for a Glock? Personally, I couldn't stand the XD's when they came out and I haven't given them a chance since. I would like to check out one of the sub-compacts in .40S&W. I'd like to own a Springfield EMP, but I still can't figure out why those are so expensive.

It got off track because one of the great American pastimes is arguing Glock vs 1911. And it's fun to poke the other side. :)

I'm not sure where you are getting your 1911's, but they are still the semi-auto that all others dream to be, including the Glock. I need to get my hands on a G20, but besides that I have no use for them. That doesn't mean they aren't great firearms, they are, but we are going to see Sig do to Glock what Glock did to S&W and that is take a loss at the PD's to get the "civilian" sales.

1911's are made perfect. The fact that Gen 4 Glocks come with 3 or 4 different backstraps would point to the opposite for them.

Horse pucky.

I am right handed shooter
I figure that with a 1911 in my right hand and a Glock 17 in my left, my accuracy for hits on target should be equal.

Highest profile 1911 users: Sgt. York, Col. Cooper, MSgt. Gary Gordon. All three of these men were weapons using a tool.

Highest profile Glock user: James Yeager, a tool who uses a weapon.

I assume this post is all in fun, since York and Cooper got into 1911s before Glocks were ever an option, and "high profile" is not exactly a term that applies to the vast majority of capable and effective combatants. In fact, it should be a given that the majority of the deadliest Americans are people whose names we'll never know, since they are most likely part of the special operations community or assigned to elite teams attached to various agencies. It's not as though CAG, SEAL, HRT, SAD, or other operators are household names. Besides, for all we know, the most lethal firearms expert in the U.S. may be some unattached prodigy in North Dakota.

Having said all of that, if you look at what top trainers in the U.S. are using or advocating, I think you'll see trends. The majority of guys who have serious real world experience prior to getting into the training game have these preferences in common: 1911 and Glock tend to be the common favorites and/or recommendations. H&K, Sig, and S&W M&P pistols round out the top 5, and are typically referred to in a very positive light by most of these guys (Vickers, Costa, Haley, Defoor, Falla, Lamb, Pannone, etc).

Among those guys, there is also a common asterisk attached to 1911 use. Even Vickers, who is a known fan and serious gunsmith of the 1911 platform will suggest certain work and maintenance to assure proper function if it is used as a defensive pistol. Of course, ANYBODY belting a firearm on with the understanding that their life may depend on its use should treat their weapon with the same respect that these elite types do. Whether you're in Afghanistan or Yakima, you don't want to put your life in the hands of a pistol that isn't in proper working condition.

I've accidentally bought a lot of Glocks over the years.

They usually end up getting traded away or sold, and then I end up buying another one somewhere down the road.

The nice thing about polymer handguns is that they're plentiful and relatively inexpensive. That's probably why they can't seem to find a permanent spot in my safe.

Well, I am a XD/XDM guy buy heart, but follow gun auctions and will always bid on things that I think are undervalued. That is how I accidentally came to own a Glock (of all things) 24. I simply bid what I thought the thing was worth, and I guess the bidding public disagreed. And know I am the proud owner of a Glock. A gun that I have long admired for it's reliability, but loathed for it's ergonomics.

Well, right or wrong, I will have a new long slide Glock to test out in a few days. Let's hope I fall in love with a forbidden fo.

As some one mentioned, if you don't like it, sell it. You won't have any problems, from what I have seen they are in high demand.
I am considering getting one because I can get it for close to LE prices. Also considering the G30S and the G34.

Thread's going just as expected. I've always found Glock Fan to have no measurable sense of humor. Dull and boring, just like their guns.

I do not have an issue with Glock users. After all, it is already a cult totem, much like 1911 or iPhone.

I have an issue with folks who call themselves firearms enthusiasts but never purchased anything but Glocks in their entire life. They are like people who would never drive anything but Toyota Camry, or only have sex in the missionary position. )

I have an issue with folks who call themselves firearms enthusiasts but never purchased anything but Glocks in their entire life.

This is the "Glock Fan" I refer to and enjoy poking at. I've known more than a few too, the guy that has 1 to 4 guns, all Glock - all the time.

As much as I do like to poke a Glock, I currently have the 29SF in the collection and I've owned a handful of others in the past. There aren't many major firearm manufacturers I wont own a gun of, Taurus is about the only one that comes to mind off hand. I've given them chances in the past, they can't even get a revolver right. Worst quality control ever!

With that being said...

2nvqbgn.jpg

200wi93.jpg

znap2v.jpg
If dull and boring goes along with reliable and accurate, I'll take it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think Glocks are
sleek and sexy and intimidating looking. On the other
hand I think 1911s are the ugliest guns out there and
look like cap guns. Each to his own :)

Oh, and most of my guns are not Glocks. I like to try a variety
of manufacturers. But I keep going back to Glock for range
practice and for my EDC. The others sit in the safe most of
the time even though I enjoy them

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show