JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look's like a typical range trip to me!! LOL.

1911-failure[1].jpg

I assume this post is all in fun, since York and Cooper got into 1911s before Glocks were ever an option, and "high profile" is not exactly a term that applies to the vast majority of capable and effective combatants. In fact, it should be a given that the majority of the deadliest Americans are people whose names we'll never know, since they are most likely part of the special operations community or assigned to elite teams attached to various agencies. It's not as though CAG, SEAL, HRT, SAD, or other operators are household names. Besides, for all we know, the most lethal firearms expert in the U.S. may be some unattached prodigy in North Dakota.

Having said all of that, if you look at what top trainers in the U.S. are using or advocating, I think you'll see trends. The majority of guys who have serious real world experience prior to getting into the training game have these preferences in common: 1911 and Glock tend to be the common favorites and/or recommendations. H&K, Sig, and S&W M&P pistols round out the top 5, and are typically referred to in a very positive light by most of these guys (Vickers, Costa, Haley, Defoor, Falla, Lamb, Pannone, etc).

Among those guys, there is also a common asterisk attached to 1911 use. Even Vickers, who is a known fan and serious gunsmith of the 1911 platform will suggest certain work and maintenance to assure proper function if it is used as a defensive pistol. Of course, ANYBODY belting a firearm on with the understanding that their life may depend on its use should treat their weapon with the same respect that these elite types do. Whether you're in Afghanistan or Yakima, you don't want to put your life in the hands of a pistol that isn't in proper working condition.

Of course it's all in fun. No one would really take a Glock over the greatest sidearm ever, would they?

And we do know exactly how Cooper felt about the Glock. He died in 2006, not 1964, like York. Cooper was clear that the Glock couldn't ever take the place of the 1911 and of course he was correct.

If anybody takes the time to read Cooper' stuff written from about 1993 on, they will see that the guy has been predicting the future with startling accuracy.

I still would take the advice of guys that have been there. Guys that study it are great, but guys that do it are the real deal.

I would also argue that we do know who the deadliest men in American history are. The current special forces guys will be anonymous for now, but we know who Jim Cirillo, "Jelly" Bryce, Frank Hamer, Jose "Pepe" Llulla, Charley Askins Jr., Carlos Hathcock(who opted for NO sidearm), Audie Murphy and so many others are.

One final argument. All the special forces guys I've ever met(believe it or not, you'd be surprised at how many) carried either high end 1911's or Sig's. I saw H&K .45's, but only one Glock and it was a 22 that the user claimed killed 4 Haji's in a dark house in Fallujah. My son was 8 at the time and tried to trade him his 22lr for what he called "The War Glock".

I like Glocks. By the time I am done I will own a 20, 22 and 30. I would never trade any of my 1911's for a Glock, but it's still apples & oranges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top