JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a friend with a straight-out-of-the-box Ruger SR1911 and that thing shoots better than almost any 1911 I ever shot, and certainly in the price range.

Don't know if his SR1911 is one-in-a-thousand or they're all like that, but IF I was looking for another 1911, the Ruger SR would be the first one I'd look for.

Mine shot great right out of the box. I did a lot of research before before I bought it. I read there are good ones and not so good ones. When I bought mine, the gun shop had two, I picked the better of the two. Mine is real tight slide to frame, barrel bushing is tight and most importantly the barrel locks up like a vault, the trigger was clean and crisp as well. The other one was pretty sloppy and had a gritty hard trigger pull.

I also recommend a new front sight, I read a lot about the stock one breaking off.

If you are in the market for one, just check it out before you buy it.
On a side note I heard great things about their customer service.

Well then you both are suck! :s0112:

Good tips about shopping carefully. If I ever get back in the market for a 1911 I'll be sure to take time and compare those SR's. I shot a 7-round touching hole-to-hole group with his, from about 15 feet, without even trying. None of my guns run like that.

Well then you both are suck! :s0112:

Good tips about shopping carefully. If I ever get back in the market for a 1911 I'll be sure to take time and compare those SR's. I shot a 7-round touching hole-to-hole group with his, from about 15 feet, without even trying. None of my guns run like that.

I think I have about 6000 rounds thru mine. No issues.

I keep the Dillons busy. The pistol (same as all of my carry guns) went thru 1000 rounds of Honady Action pistol bullets loaded the same way my carry rounds are loaded. The HAP bullets are cheaper than the XTP's, but have the same profile.

After that it's all lead, with a mag or two of carry ammo every range trip.

I average 12-14,000 rounds a year thru the 1911s.

I've heard input yes but it seems as though almost everyone has a different opinion and a different experience and of course we as humans think what we decide is the best.. Haha to tell you the truth I was kinda hoping for a bunch of people to agree on a few guns instead of a wide array of guns.

As of yet I'm still undecided, honestly it's a lot easier to decide if I've shot or handled a bunch of them.. Sooo hopefully on the next few months I'll be able to find people willing to let me shoot theirs

Come up to the Seattle area and we can go to West Coast Armory where I am a lifetime gold member. This gives me free access to their rental guns and they have at least 6 or 7 including a Nighthawk unless the POS is broken again... I'll bring both my Colts and Les Baer along and you can compare allot of different 1911's only to decide that Colts are nice, some Springers are nice, there's allot of junk out there but Uncle Les makes an amazing pistol!

If you come to central Washington I could get a few buddies together for a 1911 day. A few springfields, my ruger, a para, then on to some kimbers, Wilson's, even a 70series colt gold cup could come out of the safe.

This and the offer above would give you a chance to shoot guns below, in and above your budget range... Maybe it would give me an excuse to go buy the dan wesson I've been eye balling as well.

My son in the USMC shoots a Springfield RO in competition, I have a Springfield 'Operator' in the safe. Both are fine, fine firearms. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a RO and have a guy that knows 1911's address any issues I had with the gun....which I'd bet would be few.

MnP, reading through all of these threads I saw nowhere where you stated you were looking for the 45, 1911 platform. Is this what you are mainly looking at or are you open to other "input"?

One of my "ooooooohhhh aaaaaahhhhhh" guns that I love to shoot is my Coonan. Install the 38 special conversion kit and shoot for practice. Gear it back up in the 357 for your 3 gun comp shoots.

Coonan.... :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads