JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Come up to the Seattle area and we can go to West Coast Armory where I am a lifetime gold member. This gives me free access to their rental guns and they have at least 6 or 7 including a Nighthawk unless the POS is broken again... I'll bring both my Colts and Les Baer along and you can compare allot of different 1911's only to decide that Colts are nice, some Springers are nice, there's allot of junk out there but Uncle Les makes an amazing pistol!

I'll actually be in Everett next weekend, maybe I could brake away for a little bit and bring a couple guns of my own, do I have to buy range ammo or could I bring my -already paid for- ammo?

If you come to central Washington I could get a few buddies together for a 1911 day. A few springfields, my ruger, a para, then on to some kimbers, Wilson's, even a 70series colt gold cup could come out of the safe.

This and the offer above would give you a chance to shoot guns below, in and above your budget range... Maybe it would give me an excuse to go buy the dan wesson I've been eye balling as well.

Maybe in a month or so?? Gotta re-vamp some ammo funds after Christmas. Lol

I won't even get up there until probably 10 or so. But if it doesn't work out for us this time I'm sure I can think up some kind of bs excuse later on down the road to head up there!:)

MnP, reading through all of these threads I saw nowhere where you stated you were looking for the 45, 1911 platform. Is this what you are mainly looking at or are you open to other "input"?

One of my "ooooooohhhh aaaaaahhhhhh" guns that I love to shoot is my Coonan. Install the 38 special conversion kit and shoot for practice. Gear it back up in the 357 for your 3 gun comp shoots.

Coonan.... :s0155:
This purchase will be .45..
I'm not sure if I'll ever get a 1911 that's not a .45 to be honest,

Just saw some pricing on some ed brown 1911 GAG!!! Ouch not gonna be buying one of those any time soon:/

Cabelas in Union Gap has an Ed Brown special forces. I held it today... It's a fine pistol. You can hardly tell where any of the parts mate, its fit so nice. It's super smooth, everything about it is pretty awesome. $2599 I think was the price tag on it, and $75 off all 1911 at cabelas now.

I would love to have something like that but I think if I was going to drop that kind of money I would buy a Springfield custom shop gun, I think the "professional" is about that price.

Or build two pistols on Caspian slides/frames.

MnP, see what you started? lol

I will say, when it comes to 1911's you pretty much get what you pay for...but a lot of production models are more show than go.

The position is too look from the inside out, or search under the hood so to speak. Once one does that, a lot of makes/models will get pitched out the door.

For up to 2K, you should be able to find a nice model to suit your needs.

A lower priced or used Wilson, Les Baer, or Ed Brown...even an older Colt. Or new from STI or Dan Wesson.

Go with solid steel inside and out. You won't find many, if any inferior parts on the makes/models above.

Good luck!

Shop around, you can always add things to a 1911, and there are books and videos about how to do it.
You can change the trigger, the sights, the grips, the barrel, the linkage, the barrel bushing, and just about everything else on a 1911.

Has anyone here had any experience with the smith and Wesson performance center guns? I'm really loving the looks of their 1911 and the price is in between 1400-1500 which is good it's supposed to be all hand fitted as well image.jpg

image.jpg

I personally love smith and Wesson never owned one of their 1911's or revolvers. But have owned their m&p's and love them 100% reliable so far with over 5000 rounds down range combined.. But like I said I have no experience with the performance centers quality of work

I have read a lot if good things online. Everyone that has one seems to love it.

Personally the external extractor bothers me... As nice as they may be I don't think I could own a sig 1911 either.

Yea sig changed the shape of the slide quite a bit it definitely take away from the traditional 1911 look but as I stated before I'm not 1911 purist so I could care less about how it doesn't look original I care about how it functions

I have no experience with the S&W 1911, but I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't a decent gun. S&W has a reputation for building decent guns and there's no reason to expect less with their version of Ol' Slabsides. However the ports on the slide of the newer guns are a huge turnoff for me. I'm not a fan of front serrations to start with, but those ports... Oh, My!
For some reason I'm less put off by the Sig slide treatment. You sure get the idea you're looking at a Sig!
I've had a handful of 1911s and like them all for different reasons, but never met one I didn't like.:p

Sig do 2 different slides, their original GSRstyle and a slightly more traditional "Classic" slide.

Functionally, no doubt the S&W's are solid and their CS is pretty good too...But the looks ? I'm not necessarily a traditionalist, but there's a lot going on with contrasting small parts, slide holes and fish scales...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top