JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Springfield milspec.

After the time I've spent working at our range, I wouldn't buy any of the weapons mentioned in this thread, but if someone gave me one, I'd be happy to sell it to any of you, and use the money for milspecs.

Contrary to popular opinion, more money does not equal better.

Fishing lures are not made to catch fish, they're made to catch fishermen.

Well said, ^^

But I can only partly agree with you here, reason being

You can buy an Isuzu trooper or a dodge cummins

A Kia forte or a honda civic

A mobile home or a mansion

A Taurus or a s&w m&p.... ( glock Springfield xd/xdm sig cz I'm just an m&p fan;). )

A Charles daily or a super black Eagle II

.... An RIA 1911 or a les bear 1911

In all these cases more money equals a superior product

Well said, ^^

But I can only partly agree with you here, reason being

You can buy an Isuzu trooper or a dodge cummins

A Kia forte or a honda civic

A mobile home or a mansion

A Taurus or a s&w m&p.... ( glock Springfield xd/xdm sig cz I'm just an m&p fan;). )

A Charles daily or a super black Eagle II

.... An RIA 1911 or a les bear 1911

In all these cases more money equals a superior product

I dunno man, Ive got to disagree.

From everything I have seen and read, Dan Wesson is about the best "production" pistol. They are good lookin guns, real nice fit and finish.

I recommended Springfield because they produce a nice pistol, even better on the R.O, Loaded model, TRP that have an "NM" serial number. These pistols are finished in America.

But you do not have to spend $1500-$2000 to get a good pistol.

This is my Ruger, less that $1000 into it.

1B54F85B-7339-4354-BDDB-D9222153D6F2-6570-000005ABC201232B_zps0eb7d417.jpg

I wouldn't get all hooked up on price point, get what suits your perceived needs. If the firearms primary purpose is bullseye shooting, shooting exactly one kind of ammo, it's requirements are different(at least in my mind) than a woods carry while riding my dirt bike kind of gun. Of course everything is a compromise, I wanted a woods carry gun that shot well and reliably with target loads, ball, and XTP's. I bought a Sig.

To the OP (Jesse), if you drop that much $ into a single gun will it be used or become a safe queen? For that much $ you could buy two reasonable, identical 1911's and have some redundancy if the world got ugly.

Full disclosure. I'd love a Dan Wesson Valor in stainless, but I ask myself the same question I posted to you and mine would become a safe queen.

Peter

Let me be clear(er) lol not a word but you get the point.

I totally understand that in some cases you get a LOT more value out a gun if it completes the job you need it to and it fulfills it's roll at a lower Price point.

But one thing I've learned the hard way is being cheap right from the start and then having to go back and get the better product whether it be for your car your house your toys or guns usually you'll end up spending more money in the long run by not just buying the quality part or product right off the bat..

ACTClears

Great question, personally I don't believe in owning guns that don't or won't get used so I would use the heck out of it sir:)

You could ask my friends any gun in my safe that goes for say 6-8 months without being shot gets sold lol

Springfield milspec.

After the time I've spent working at our range, I wouldn't buy any of the weapons mentioned in this thread, but if someone gave me one, I'd be happy to sell it to any of you, and use the money for milspecs.

Contrary to popular opinion, more money does not equal better.

Fishing lures are not made to catch fish, they're made to catch fishermen.

I used to have a Springfield Milspec and it was great. Always reliable and great price. Wasn't the most accurate 1911 I've owned, but it was "between the shoulders" accurate.

I'm a big fan of Les Baer stuff. Owned 2 and been really impressed. I think you could find one in good shape for within your price range. I've heard good things about Dan Wesson stuff. Shot a buddies 10mm CBOB and was pretty impressed with it. I'm sure there's 50 different versions of what people consider "the best". For the money I think you can't beat Les Baer for quality and what you're getting in a gun. Owned a bunch of 1911's and my TRS has been my favorite. Wilson and Nighthawk have sexy finishes and are nice guns, but reflect it in the price. I think Les Baer gives you a no nonsense gun with everything you need and nothing you don't that will run with any 1911 out there on the market.

Sixty years from now, will that Dan Wesson increase in value, like a Colt National Match did?

No, but how is that a practical example for someone who wants to, you know, buy a pistol and shoot it some ?
I'm sure my GCNM from '71 is worth more than the $6.47 or whatever it cost back then, but for every desirable Colt, there's a dog of a early 90's 1991 that absolutely no one is paying top dollar for.
My '07 CBOB cost me $839, pretty sure I could get $1200 and I had a lot of fun using it too...

Not even close to the Dan Wesson quality of fit and finish,I know!

This I have to disagree with. I've owned both. The fit and finish on my older Colts will rival any production gun, even my Dan Wesson CBOB. In fact, I believe my 51 Colt has better fit and finish than the DW.

As far as worth in several years, as Jbett asked, I doubt it. Especially my DW. I use the heck out of it as I consider it a "working tool". Tools get beat up, even with care. I just can't bear to subject my old Colt to the daily grind of my DW, as the bluing on the Colt is fantastic. I can not, will not, tolerate non-reliable tools and my DW is the tool for that job.

Shooting Times just did a comparison with several 1911's under $900. While I think the results are a little skewed (a gun that had a sight fall off rated higher than one that finished the test. Sights rated higher than reliability, etc.) it's pretty interesting.

STI are quality, but the looks just don't appeal to me, same with S&W.
Whilst I'd obviously rather have a functional gun over a pretty one, I can tick both those boxes with some other brands, YMM may well V.

My tastes have changed and now I'm in the more traditional looking camp.
My Colt GCNM still has the original light (14lb ?) spring and Collett bushing, and 98% original bluing. It doesnt get shot much either.
But I don't think the OP is looking for a fragile heirloom piece to swaddle in cotton balls in the hope his great grandson can make a few $$$ on it.

Sixty years from now, will that Dan Wesson increase in value, like a Colt National Match did?
If you want the best shooter, the Dan Wesson will out perform any Colt 1911 unless you spend a ton of $$$ upgrading. I have shot real nice Colt National Matches,they don't even come close to the Dan Wesson 1911s

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top