JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is something I've thought of on and off over the years and have kind of developed with my large family ("the tribe" as I call it). It is not as formalized as I'd like it and long ranged backup communications are only partially done, but we've made good progress.

A social gathering last night got the wheels turning again. That particular group of people probably wouldn't like make a good basis for said, though I wouldn't rule it out. We also met a very interesting, strong woman there who appeared to know how to take care of business. The better half was with her most of the evening.

I had a friend/colleague some years back that was very much into preparedness. He was of the Jewish faith and ran a similar idea past his Rabbi, who concurred it was a great idea, but it didn't go too far. I recall when I was part of a church, I worked with the Red Cross, and coordinated them using the building for blood drives, but most of the congregants didn't seem interested in preparedness, and it fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, the idea would be taking an existing social network — an extended family, a religious body, a fraternal order, a social group, et. al. — and adding mutual disaster preparation via said.

Has anyone done this? How organized and documented was it? How did you get everyone on the same page, communicate, and practice for "it" going down?

Thanks for sharing. :)

I got together with the folks that have property adjoining mine several years ago for that very purpose. It's a work in progress still, and I imagine it will always be so. Thus far we've drawn up detailed plans on:

1. Sowing, harvesting and crop rotation.
2. Expansion of 2 existing high volume gravity wells including tap points, distribution and usage.
3. Livestock management.
4. Expansion of existing wastewater/sewage containment and associated systems.
5. Procurement and installation of solar and wind power generation systems and supporting infrastructure.
6. Processes and procedures for admitting others outside of the immediate family of the property owners.
7. Defense.
8. Duties and responsibilities roster.
9. Community decision making processes and procedures.

There are other topics we've nailed down, but my old brain isn't digging them up at the moment.

My biggest priority is getting it all hashed out and recorded in a workable fashion so when I go boots up my wife and daughter will have a "road map".

Interesting...I've only done what could be called a loose partnership with only my closest of friends. Nothing formal, written or the like only a verbal agreement of what each could/would provide if said occurred. Our focus was regarding the Cascadia Subuction but if certainly these preparations would certainly umbrella other events IMO.

Interesting...I've only done what could be called a loose partnership with only my closest of friends. Nothing formal, written or the like only a verbal agreement of what each could/would provide if said occurred. Our focus was regarding the Cascadia Subuction but if certainly these preparations would certainly umbrella other events IMO.

Self sufficiency and sustainability were the primary concerns. We all know those don't happen by accident, and 6 people in the same conversation will often take away vastly differing points or interpretations. So, we get everything on paper and everyone adds their signature.

Self sufficiency and sustainability were the primary concerns. We all know those don't happen by accident, and 6 people in the same conversation will often take away vastly differing points or interpretations. So, we get everything on paper and everyone adds their signature.
Excellent points Good Sir.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads