JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Lone survivor (or very small group) realistic or a fantasy?

• It is very realistic and here's why ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh, someone on their own could be rough, but smaller group is OK.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, the author is correct. Individuals or small groups don't have a great chance.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Well, humans formed into groups a long time ago for a reason, so ...

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No and such preparations are pointless.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Get down, get funky.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Thanks for the responses. It would seem the consensus tilts towards small groups and/or larger ones as the best means of survival. Which, naturally, raises the question: If one considers this important, how have you formed your group? If you have not, how do you plan to? Would be within current social structures (e.g., extended family, a religious community, an ethnic enclave, a hobbyist group, a sexual subculture, or simply geographic like a neighborhood, et al.) or would it be completely purpose built? What skillsets and tools do you wish to have or have already incorporated in your group?

Parenthetically, I finished the book over the weekend. Overall, it was interesting, particularly the archeological angle. The author didn't pull any punches with the contemporary preparedness movement and, candidly, it was kind of refreshing to have some notions contained therein challenged. The individual preparations recommended by the author, however, were so basic as to be laughable in some parts. (Who knew a tent, flashlight, and knife are good to have in the field? Eyeroll.) Overall I enjoyed the read, but it may not be for everyone. And if one is looking for practical, nuts'n'bolts, type content, look elsewhere.
Since we live on a farm, with other farms around us - and we don't plan on "bugging out" to someplace else… our mutual aid group will start with family, friends and neighbors. If the hard times are prolonged, others can be gradually added to the group.

As far as skill sets - I think we should have as many different ones as we can get. But regardless of what skills someone brings to the table, they have to be a companionable person, and willing to do whatever is needed without grumbling and causing discontent.

And no religious zealots. Good, hard-working Christians would be welcome - but a group of people banding together for mutual aid really can't afford the animosity that would be sure to grow if zealots from competing religions were always quarreling.

Antifa? You're out. BLM? You're out. Inner-city thugs? Out. Purple-haired dykes dressed up as giant vaginas? Not a chance. Maybe the next group down the road wants you, but I sure don't.

There will probably need to be a process that we've all agreed on, to filter out undesirables and choose the keepers. When our group meets to talk these things over, I'll bring it up and see where the conversation goes.

As I write this, and consider the choices that such a time of hardship would force us to make, I'm realizing (again) that not everyone sees things the same way I do. (Shocking, I know - but it's true.)

For example, if I were away from home and someone came to our door looking for as much food as they could carry in their truck (for the children! …of course), my dear wife would probably give them everything we have.

Which makes me begin to consider family members. When it comes to family, it would take an awful breach of trust to send them down the road.

Interesting things to ponder..,

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews