JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Even is gel tests, the +P rounds for HST don't give a significant improvement over the standard load...unless you want more recoil and a bit of unnecessary battering of the gun.

I recommend the 124gr because of its slightly better consistent performance in actual shootings, but I wouldn't be disappointed with the 147gr.

Last Edited:
50 round box - 9mm Luger +P Federal HST 124 grain HP hollow point LE ammo - P9HST3 | SGAmmo.com

My 9mm does great with either 124gr or 147gr HST but my preference is 147gr P9HST2

I know it can still be found but is it still being made or is it being phase out. As @Cerberus Group mentioned above the +P rounds for HST ins't much of an improvement over the standard load and comes with the price of higher recoil. I recall Dr. Roberts stating the exact same thing, hence my question.

I know it can still be found but is it still being made or is it being phase out. As @Cerberus Group mentioned above the +P rounds for HST ins't much of an improvement over the standard load and comes with the price of higher recoil. I recall Dr. Roberts stating the exact same thing, hence my question.

I only load 147gr HST for defense. I bought a few boxes of 124gr +P but they have more recoil than the standard pressure 124gr or the147gr rounds I wanted to try all of the of the HST 9mm rounds 124gr, 124gr +P, 147gr, and 147gr +P.

every now and then its good to discuss and see if anything new has come out worth noting. I appreciate hearing from those here with more experience than myself and still no need for +P

I believe one could make his own selection based on self research and range testing. Why question further on a simple question asked of one? Good, bad or indifferent one wouldn't know until they find what they like.

I dont know anyone whos got the time and money to do self research and testing. I highly suspect luckygunner.com is getting paid for what they do and lots of good info from just asking. Plus its fun to talk about....

I dont know where you are getting this "dislike the man" idea, I don't like his youtube channel, how he presents his data and yes the fact he repeats himself, but to say he is "better" than lucky gunner is about as subjective as it gets. Lucky gunner uses the same 9mm pistol for all their tests (smith and wesson m&p sub compact so... 3" barrel) and yes they keep all the same factors for all the same tests. Is it completely comprehensive? No, is it detailed? Yes.
I think your preference for youtube videos over spreadsheets is clouding your judgement. regardless this banter isnt helping the OP and I detest online dick measuring contests. So I bid you adieu.

:s0036:
LOL I wouldn't want to embarrass you with a ruler.
You asked for that one! :s0030:

Also you lack objectivity as shown by your own words, copied and pasted here.

"Dont actually like that youtuber, also it's a video that probably took 2 days to film. LuckyG has been constantly updating and researching ballistic studies for literal years. So "better" is VERY subjective."

the venue of the tests or how long it took isn't that all important. That being said 2 days couldn't possibly cover all the testing he has done, years is more likely,
but the results are!
I've availed myself of the data at lucky gunner and decided I was being short changed. Because the lack of that "comprehensive" testing doesn't show the buyers all the options (read other brands) available to them.
The fact that the tester at Ammo Quest often received test ammo from viewers, as well as purchasing it himself after requests to test a particular ammo. Points me to believe he has no axe to grind for personal favorites.
However Lucky Gunner being "in the business", may have personal reasons to slant their observations, and possibly the results in their favor. Which can color their objectivity in my opinion. From many years experience of people looking out for their own interests first. :s0013:
Results are my guide here, personalities be-darned!
My final word.
Gabby

So what constitutes a "good hollow point"?

One that penetrates sufficiently to reach organs that will disable a perp. and also preferably not exit the body and pass on to strike an innocent target. The bare and covered tests were developed by the FBI in order to develop ammo that would meet that criteria. A load that didn't penetrate as needed might not stop the perp's activity in a short period of time. How well the bullet expands also determines how the kinetic energy is passed to the targets body tissues and aids in over penetration. Some loads when fired thru clothing wouldn't expand at all and often passed thru much the same as a FMJ round might.
I hope this helps you.
Gabby

RE: Shooting The Bull 410,
The most recent uploads show to be 2 years old.I seem to remember there was some talk about his health about that time, I'm convinced he either died or isn't able to continue with his testing, it's a shame because he did a great service to the shooting community. Thankfully you tube hasn't deleted his work.
Gabby

50 round box - 9mm Luger +P Federal HST 124 grain HP hollow point LE ammo - P9HST3 | SGAmmo.com

My 9mm does great with either 124gr or 147gr HST but my preference is 147gr P9HST2

I just received the ad for this site they have a few for law enforcement marked boxes.
I like it that they often have the 50rd boxes for just a bit more than the little 20 or 25rd boxes. I watch for those items. Many of the other ammo sites don't do that
Gabby
Bulk Ammo for Sale Online Free Shipping Available

Since nobody is going to mention the elephant in the room, and since the 357 & 45 comments came up...if you upgraded to 10mm you wouldn't have to have the 9mm discussions. But I guess the girls need to talk about something while their nails dry, right? Lol:D
So the difference between Manhood and Ladyhood is 1MM? who knew.

Since nobody is going to mention the elephant in the room, and since the 357 & 45 comments came up...if you upgraded to 10mm you wouldn't have to have the 9mm discussions. But I guess the girls need to talk about something while their nails dry, right? Lol:D

Hey macho man, there are many of us old "ladies" Who have arthritis and can't comfortably handle the recoil of your "macho" guns, so stuff it where the sun don't shine, We can still put the rounds where they count and that is more important than caliber any time!
I can't stand people who look down their long noses at people who don't do what they do! Feeling all superior because of a louder bang.
That's just the attitude we don't need here!
Gabby

Last Edited:
So the difference between Manhood and Ladyhood is 1MM? who knew.

I think he means he's hung like an elephant, but I suspect he's one of those that has to make up for lacking big equipment by claiming he's a artilleryman with a big gun he doesn't have, he buys a big pistol he probably cant hit the broad side of the barn from the inside!! I notice he doesn't claim to have a real hand cannon like a 454 Cassul, or a S&W .50 magnum, I shot the 454 back in the day and owned a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum, they will beat out his puny 10mm any day. :s0036:
braggarts chap my hide!
Gabby

I think he means he's hung like an elephant, but I suspect he's one of those that has to make up for lacking big equipment by claiming he's a artilleryman with a big gun he doesn't have, he buys a big pistol he probably cant hit the broad side of the barn from the inside!! I notice he doesn't claim to have a real hand cannon like a 454 Cassul, or a S&W .50 magnum, I shot the 454 back in the day and owned a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum, they will beat out his puny 10mm any day. :s0036:
braggarts chap my hide!
Gabby

Good lawdy you guys, I'm pretty sure he was joking!

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top