JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You said no use. o_O

As far as civilians go?
A 125gr 357 sig and a 125 grain 357 magnum are within two thousandths and 1gr difference in projectiles. And are going 1400fps.

Who thinks a 125 grain 357 wont work to stop a bad guy?
nobody, but I dont know what 357 magnum has to do with selecting a 9mm carry ammo.

Im just curious why NATO uses +P 9mm ammo, why +P?

You said no use. o_O

As far as civilians go?
A 125gr 357 sig and a 125 grain 357 magnum are within two thousandths and 1gr difference in projectiles. And are going 1400fps.

Who thinks a 125 grain 357 wont work to stop a bad guy?
I don't think it will work as well as a 158gr wadcutter, if that's what you mean?
I really need to try some 125gr's tho.

Also, I wouldn't use 115gr, they work fine in the BHP but fly all over in my P226... 124gr is what I have, but they're FMJ...
For this reason you can imagine I am interested in this topic. I could really use a cheap, quality brand tho.

nobody, but I dont know what 357 magnum has to do with selecting a 9mm carry ammo.

Im just curious why NATO uses +P 9mm ammo, why +P?

If your of the new religion that 9mm at standard velocity is enough?
Than what dose more velocity matter in the same size projectile in other calibers?
Again. The faster it goes the flatter it shoots and the better it penetrates.

Now I am a dinosaur. And believe in the old Gods. So I also think it tears a guy up better. ;)

You can do plenty with a 124gn 9mm[.355] at 1150fps. If your a good Indian.
But you can do more with a 125gn .357 at 1400fps.

And the reason the Military uses hot 9mm?
I suspect it facilitates better function in dirty weapons. And allows penetration of the enemy's canteen, helmet or whatever else need going through in order to inflict a wound.

If your of the new religion that 9mm at standard velocity is enough?
Than what dose more velocity matter in the same size projectile in other calibers?
Again. The faster it goes the flatter it shoots and the better it penetrates.

Now I am a dinosaur. And believe in the old Gods. So I also think it tears a guy up better. ;)

You can do plenty with a 124gn 9mm[.355] at 1150fps. If your a good Indian.
But you can do more with a 125gn .357 at 1400fps.

And the reason the Military uses hot 9mm?
I suspect it facilitates better function in dirty weapons. And allows penetration of the enemy's canteen, helmet or whatever else need going through in order to inflict a wound.

oh lordy... even the military gets wrapped up in the "stopping power" debate. I guess all those complaints when they ditched the 45 were finally taken into consideration. ...or maybe the 9mm just really is the wimpy military round after all ;)

I totally get the fact that the same bullet moving faster is gonna hit harder... but that's not the point in a civilian carry gun, especially a compact gun. Otherwise we'd all be carrying 357 magnums, but there is a reason that does not dominate the self defense market.

All a civilian needs to do is reliably penetrate 12" - 18"... and there are plenty of regular (non +P) loads in 9mm that do that without the extra recoil. Why would anyone want to increase felt recoil thus decreasing faster followup shots when regular rounds are just as effective?

Sig 124g V-Crown, Federal 124g HST, and Speer 115g Gold Dot are great examples.

Speer gold dot are good. I agree with whatever cycles best through the pistol. I have even had different Glock 19's that won't shoot the same manufacturer of ammunition. One prefers HST 124gr and the other one prefers gold dot 124gr. Most of my other 9mm pistols cycle Sig 124gr reliably.

want to get good 9mm self defense ammo. For hk vp9 what should I get?

Federal HST in any weight bullet from 115gr to 149gr, great penetration and awesome expansion.
Look here. The prices are for mostly 50 round full boxes instead of the half box or 20 round boxes that sell for the same price, which is a big rip off.
Really good ammo!
Bulk Ammo for Sale Online Free Shipping Available
No I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
Watch these test results, This is what our local Sheriff's department carries, and so do I.
If I am ever in court being questioned about the ammunition I use I can state that I use the same stuff my local law enforcement uses, none of this RIP crap which sends the message you want to KILL someone or anything with similar packaging.Anything like that sends a negative message to the judge and jury that is not in your best interests. Think about it!
Gabby
Here is the link to all the 9mm tests he performed, some of the others are close, but I'll stick with the HST.

9mm Ammo Quest - YouTube

Last Edited:
Get a couple different brands and loads and see what the gun likes. o_O
I have the HST for 9mm and Golden Sabers for the .45, when I get around to running through those I'll give the HST a try.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

What I like about these tests is that they concentrate on the two things I look for in self-defense/hunting ammo: penetration and bullet expansion. They don't make anything of the cavity in the gel - in my opinion that isn't really an objective or relevant measure. I want to know does the bullet expand reliably and does it penetrate far enough to get to vital organs despite barriers/depth.

What do you have against +p. I wouldn't use it for plinking, but I would think it would be appropriate for carry.! just my 2cents.

Hot ammo in small guns can be not very fun to shoot. And it can increase wear on the gun if it's shot a lot. While not plinking ammo you should still practice with it.

Personally 124gn seems to be the sweet spot for me.
If I felt I needed more out of a 9mm then I would just get something flavored in .357Sig

Hot ammo in small guns can be not very fun to shoot. And it can increase wear on the gun if it's shot a lot. While not plinking ammo you should still practice with it.

If I felt I needed more out of a 9mm then I would just get something flavored in .357Sig

Or 40 S&W which is a more popular round, and you are more likely to find the ammo.

I have a kit for .357 SIG and one for .40 S&W and now one for .22 LR for my SIG 226/Mk25 - I haven't shot the .357 SIG yet as I got it just to have it JIC, but I do like the .40 S&W and it is available in almost any handgun that is offered in 9mm, and like the SIGs, you can sometimes get a gun that can shoot both with a conversion kit or even just a barrel (it seems that if you get the gun on .40 S&W that often you can just get a 9mm conversion barrel).

Or, you can go up to .45 ACP or 10mm

You are definitely correct about shooting +p in a small gun, however +p in a heavy frame revolver or similar handgun is not bad at all and gives you and advantage. And practice is one thing, 1-2 mags, however plinking is more than 50-100 or more rounds. Yea it would be hard on the hands and the gun.

You are definitely correct about shooting +p in a small gun

When you said carry I assumed smaller than a Sig P229 as most seem to like smaller and lighter 9mm for carry.

I wouldn't have any issues plinking with 9mm NATO or 124gn+P in my 229.
A Shield probably not so much, doubt I would even practice with it.

Or, you can go up to .45 ACP or 10mm
And then there is that.
Got .45 covered, .40 P226 is next, had a P225 but didn't like it.

What do you have against +p. I wouldn't use it for plinking, but I would think it would be appropriate for carry.! just my 2cents.

Just there isn't any need for self defense carry, not one single advantage. And if its not practical to use it for practice then why would anyone want to carry something for self defense that performs way different than what they use for practice?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top