JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Any of your premium brands will be fine - I wouldn't waste a lot of time debating. Get a few, see what seems to cycle best, and carry on. Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, CorBon, Speer Gold Dots, etc.

I like the accuracy of Golden sabers. They also expand well, and are not too expensive if you shop around.

Shot a 5ft snake in the face with one. And it expanded nicely.
Rotating petals shredded a few inches of his neck. ;)

Edit: That would be Bonded 124gr +p's.

Last Edited:
want to get good 9mm self defense ammo. For hk vp9 what should I get?
Federal HST 124gr (or HST 147gr if you prefer). Don't get HST 150gr.

Hornady critical duty is also good. Hornady critical defense 115gr will give very consistent penetration in almost every situation but does not expand as well as HST. Those are all very good self defense rounds.

Oh if you want to spend HOURS watching YT ballistic tests in medium, TNOutdoors has a great channel and does reviews on all the 9x19 offerings. It's fun to watch but I'll save you the time. Spoiler. Not much difference in performance of the top shelf offerings. They all seem to do the job remarkably well.

Much as others have said... try several until you find the brand, weight, etc. that works for you and your firearm.

Me, I use Fiocchi 115gr for plinking and practice.
Hornady Critical Defense Lite 100gr for my everyday carry.
(my conceal/carry firearm being a Beretta Nano 9mm.)

I wouldn't get to wrapped-up in "what's best" and focus on what's best for your unique situation.

Here's a run down on the 9mm recommendations, some I personally witnessed, some recommended by Dr Gary Roberts;

9mm - I don't recommend any 115gr, the performance is too inconsistent. I found 115gr bullets that were almost in perfect condition that one could almost reload, to specimens that appeared to have exploded...and everything in between

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

As you see above, there are no Ranger SXT or Hornady Critical Defense in the mix, as they are about as inconsistent as a Federal Hydra-Shok.

Last Edited:
I don't carry much chambered in of 9x19㎜ Parabellum these days, but the Smurf's primary (a Walther) is usually loaded with Golden Sabers for carry. Though we practice with a mix of different ammo.

I need to replace my 115gr ammo, old Hydra-shok and newer Hornady, offerings with 124gr or 147gr but I don't have the bucks right now. So I'll just have to put more rounds on target, maybe the bg fall over from excess weight. It's either that or nuke em from orbit. At home that would be my 12ga with Winchester PDX1 loads.

Massad Ayoob uses Speer Gold Dot +P 124 grain.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Gold Dot? The 124-gr. +P has delivered awesome performance in the 9mms of NYPD's nearly 35,000 officers. Las Vegas Metro uses Gold Dot across the board in three approved calibers, and their firearms instructors have told me the 124-gr. +P 9mm is every bit as effective as the 180-gr. .40 and the 230-gr. .45 ACP. From Texas Department of Public Safety to the Virginia State Police and Richmond PD, 125-gr. .357 SIG Gold Dot is dropping felons with amazing alacrity. Secret Service and Federal Air Marshals also issue .357 SIG 125-gr. Gold Dot.
Police Ammo For The Rest Of Us? | American Handgunner
Choose your ammo… police style | Backwoods Home Magazine

Paul Harrel's videos definitely shed some good light, its interesting how in gel many bullets hold together but add some bone and actual meat and jacket separation becomes for more prevalent.
I've been carrying hornady critical duty but I'm Kinda thinking about switching to Lehigh extreme penetrator. As with guns each brand of ammo brings it's own unique benefit to the table.
Find the brand you can get the most practice with and fits your situation the best.

Anything in .45acp :p:p:p

No one said it yet:D.

I wouldn't want to step in front of any of the 9mm loads.

As long as it feeds every time I'm happy with it.

I have HST, Honedy, gold dot and Speer all seem good.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top