JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Disregard what police use. Theyre more concerned with the price of bulk ammo- i.e the bottom line and collateral damage which they'd be liable for.

Lastly- stay the fack away from gimmicky ammo you think would attract a 13 year old who refers to every AR as an "M4".

There is a small problem with the top quote.
In a court of law the opposition lawyer will be trying to paint you as bad as possible. If you are using something as childish as "RIP" you have just given the opposition lots of damning "AMMO" against you. I can just hear "ladies and gentlemen"
The accused loaded his firearm with bullets that are supposed to cause people to "Rest In Peace" which pretty much means dead!

However if you are carrying the same ammo your local law enforcement agency uses, your defense can point to it and say "ladies and gentlemen" the defendant carries and uses the same ammo as the Josephine County Sheriff's Department does, that is designed to stop an attacker, not kill them!
BLA Bla Blah!
Do you get my point?

You did say to stay away from gimmicky crap and I presume such as good old RIP!
With that I completely agree.

You want to keep as low a profile as possible.
Wear the best clothes you own, clean and pressed if needed, with absolutely NOTHING associated with firearms or shooting, NO Ruger or NRA ball caps as a
for instance! You don't want to appear like anything other than a normal law abiding citizen. Pure John Q. Milktoast

Absolutely no tough guy crap without saying.
Just think how you want to be remembered by the judge and or jury.
Gabby

My point was that buying what your local precinct uses may be a bad idea, as they have a budget to account for and liabilities and contracts to consider. Just because they use X doesnt mean you blindly have to buy and use it too. I think blindly buying, using and advocating for what the Mil/LEO uses is supreme Fuddism.

The other thing to consider too is that most likely different Police and Country Sheriffs departments may use different ammunition anyways. As long is you used reputable brands like Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, or Remington Golden Sabers or Golden Saber Black Belt, Winchester Ranger, etc. you should be fine. I never use gimmicky rounds for self defense.

My point was that buying what your local precinct uses may be a bad idea, as they have a budget to account for and liabilities and contracts to consider. Just because they use X doesnt mean you blindly have to buy and use it too. I think blindly buying, using and advocating for what the Mil/LEO uses is supreme Fuddism.

Fine and good but when they use a proven defensive load such as Federal 9mm HST in your choice of bullet weight, I'm sure their ammo budgets are sufficient to buy whatever brand they want especially as they will get really good prices for buying in greater bulk than, any of us here on this forum can afford unless you are
multi-millionaires. That is neither blind nor as you so eloquenly try to make fun of me with your disrespectful Fuddism remark Fuddy duddy I may be but I've never seen it proven.

I might add that trying to make someone appear as lesser than you, by slinging that type of crap is what our Left wing fanatics resort to doing, and I expected better from the people here in this great forum.
Gabby

Last Edited:
When they use the aforementioned Federal 9mm HST in your choice of bullet weight (mine being the 124 +P through lots of testing) and you find it works through rigorous testing, I do think its all fine and good.

The point I made, the one you clearly missed because you were too busy being offended is; taking what "they" use and loading your mags with it- never bothering to shoot and train with it it because it's more expensive, then regarding it as the end-all-be-all of ammo simply because a boy in blue uses it, is in fact, FUDDY. If you have any experience reloading you know that simply handing over load data that works in YOUR gun to someone else, even with same make/model of firearm, may not produce the same results that you received, and in fact it's dangerous. What makes you think off the shelf, bulk produced ammo with much more lax tolerances than a hand loader can produce would be any different?

The OP asked for ammo recommendations and I gave possibly the best (yeah I'm a bit biased) yet broadest and most time/money consuming answer- Find out for yourself. Blindly following someone else blindly is bad form and FUDDY. Also, Fuddy refers to Elmer Fudd, not "Fuddy Duddy". So unless you're out there prowling LGS's and giving God-awful, unsolicited advice like; "If you need more than 6 rounds of 38 special..." or ".380 is all a little lady like you can handle" and "I use 45acp because of knock down power and because they don't make a .46acp" you needn't be offended by the term, because it doesn't apply to you. Also, don't accuse people of slinging crap when you're picking it up off the ground and rubbing it on yourself. Self-victimization is unbecoming and also a "left wing fanatic" tactic.

QgzrWnp.gif

I first choose ammo by the largest caliber I truly shoot most accurately and for me that is 40, I shoot it more accurately over most conditions than even 9 MM, and better than 45. I just think a bigger hole will hurt more and cause someone to stop trying to hurt me. I have not given 9 MM 147 grain enough testing. I shoot a lot of carry ammo. I like to know it will go bang and fly with reliable accuracy.

I find most of the premium brands are pretty equal and most now offer comparable practice ammo. The wife and I did find Browning 147gr to be very erratic at POI from her Shield where shot great from my Sig. We primarily use Gold Dot 124gr but may vary depending on availability. We both do like the new Sig ammo and find it very consistent in all of our pistols.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top