JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am very new to reloading and am only doing 9mm at the moment. I've shot about 50 of them so far with no issues. Never paid attention to accuracy yet.

Today I put 25ish into this target and focused on accuracy. This is 25 yards, benchrest, through my shadow systems mr920 elite (it's a fancy glock 19) with a red dot and compensator.

DG bullets coated round nose 124gr, cci #500, recovered range brass, titegroup 3.8gr-3.9gr powder.

Thoughts? Advice? Is this okay, bad, good?

This is about 25 rounds and again, at 25 yards. 20210423_145447.jpg

To be able to have any idea what "your ammo" is doing you would need to shoot some factory stuff in the same pistol the same way.
Then of course what really mattes is what are the home rolls for? If it's for fun, practice, and such, then all that matters if they work.
If you find out your rolls are doing "poorly" next to factory then there is things you can try. Easy thing to do of course is find out first how your stuff works compared to factory.

At 25 yards through a pistol.... THAT IS AWESOME !!!

How I judge is hold the target up to your chest. Do all the bullet holes stay on your torso? If so, excellent shooting!

:s0155:

25yds that's not bad. I haven't shot 9mm from a benchrest in who knows how long, but have done it many many times freehand. I believe the black bullseye on a 25yd NRA pistol target is 6"-8" iirc.

You are extremely limited by the bullets ability to be precise with pistol calibers.

Your results are pretty decent considering the mentioned type of projectile.

This is just going to be range ammo and target practice. Most likely will be used at 5 to 17 yards, not much more than that.

Good idea on the comparison to factory at the same distance and gun, I'll remember to bring some next week and try that out. I have a few remanufactured rounds from grizzly that is the same bullet (124 round nose) and see how those fair.

This is just going to be range ammo and target practice. Most likely will be used at 5 to 17 yards, not much more than that.

Good idea on the comparison to factory at the same distance and gun, I'll remember to bring some next week and try that out. I have a few remanufactured rounds from grizzly that is the same bullet (124 round nose) and see how those fair.
If your loads print "pretty much" the same at that range you are great. Means the practice ammo will be fine for training. At the closer range it should be easy to match the ammo you carry.

Like said, you should compare it to factory loads. Me, I'd be disappointed a bit. I can put all rounds on one of those red squares double action with my iron sighted 4" gp100 from the bench at 25 yards with my rough cobbled home-cast bullet reloads.

I would call it good, accurate and precise, the group is mostly centered with a couple flyers, but I would go one click to the left and try again next time out. Unless you are a true pistolero, the only way you'll know how good your handloads are if you shoot them from a ransom rest or have a known pistolero shoot it for you.

It looks fine for a 9x19mm pistol, especially at 25 yards. While some pistols and different calibers can and do a bit better your's is right where it needs to be. I'd focus on technique and attention to detail to improve your quality (consistency is the main thing) before changing anything.

9x19mm isn't generally considered a "target" round due to a tapered case, headspaces on the case mouth, and tolerances between manufacturers of firearms and ammunition vary slightly. "Target" grade 9x19mm pistols are expensive and they generally have slightly tighter chamber dimensions, and target ammunition is of a very high quality (due to a higher level of consistency), so in my opinion you're right where you need to be for someone just starting out.

Edit: I'd add that the matter of consistency is also important for the shooter. Even very expensive pistols and ammunition are dependent on the users abilities to perform to expectations. A person can use the best tools available, but that still requires practice, practice, and more practice to achieve the best results. It does take much to get a flyer of several inches.

Last Edited:
Let's put it this way.

With a bolt action 9mm, the best Ive been able to do thus far is a 4" 10 shot group at 50 yards. That's using 147 grain plated xtreme bullets going 1050ish FPS. 9mm and most pistol bullets just aren't designed to be precise like rifle bullets.

The caliber is greatly reliant on the projectiles, which for the most part are not made to the same level of precision as rifle projectiles.

I hope when Covid-gunpacolypse goes away to try out some match grade ammo in the rifle. As well as better quality projectiles. To truly see what 9mm is capable of.

Let's put it this way.

With a bolt action 9mm, the best Ive been able to do thus far is a 4" 10 shot group at 50 yards. That's using 147 grain plated xtreme bullets going 1050ish FPS. 9mm and most pistol bullets just aren't designed to be precise like rifle bullets.

The caliber is greatly reliant on the projectiles, which for the most part are not made to the same level of precision as rifle projectiles.

I hope when Covid-gunpacolypse goes away to try out some match grade ammo in the rifle. As well as better quality projectiles. To truly see what 9mm is capable of.
That's too bad, a target grade pistol is expected to do 2" groups at 50 yards. I'd try a different bullet, probably a lighter one.

That's too bad, a target grade pistol is expected to do 2" groups at 50 yards. I'd try a different bullet, probably a lighter one.
I definitely plan to. Just haven't been able to find many currently. Couldnt of been a worse time for that project. I've heard good things from XTPs in 16" barreled semis. So I imagine if I can get my hands on some of those. There are tons of bullets to try, I'm just limited to what I currently have on hand. My bulk polymer coated bullets aren't good for precision. I've got tons of those! They grouped about 10" at 100 yards.

So far I've only tested my reloads. I don't keep much factory 9mm these days.

In time...

Much like what everyone else says, it depends on your expectations and ability. On average, that's not bad. Do you normally shoot better than that?

I've found that it sure takes a lot more practice with a handgun than a rifle, to maintain proficiency. I use to be very happy if I could keep the shots from a handgun inside 4" at 25 yards from a rest.

I started practicing more, and learning better technique, and got to where I could consistently keep them inside 2" or better at the same distance, at least with a couple guns and the right ammo (CZ75b and Ruger Standard). I know a lot of people can do better than that, but I just don't have the time to get that good.

When I don't keep up with the practice, it seems that I'm back to the 4" groups again.

Sounds like I need to establish a base with some factory ammo, didn't think about that. I'll try 10 rounds of different factory ammo and try to compare to that.

This ammo is for range use and plinking. Not planning on competitions this year.

I'm very new to reloading so the fact that they shoot makes me happy (and I have all my fingers). I'm gonna play with my loads a little with what I have but with components being hard to find, I wont be able to try different stuff.

Thanks all for the comments and advice!

Interesting as this pretty much says 2" at 25 yards is good for an accurate 9mm.

And the second article states 2.5 inches at 50 yards for the world's most accurately acknowledged 9mm pistol, the SIG P210. And the SIG 210 is the Rolls Royce of pistols.

Last Edited:
Interesting as this pretty much says 2" at 25 yards is good for an accurate 9mm.

And the second article states 2.5 inches at 50 yards for the world's most accurately acknowledged 9mm pistol, the SIG P210. And the SIG 210 is the Rolls Royce of pistols.

There are quite a bit more 9mm handguns that are as accurate as the p210.. auto-pistols and revolvers. 2" at 50 yards is the benchmark for a good target pistol.

There are quite a bit more 9mm handguns that are as accurate as the p210.. auto-pistols and revolvers. 2" at 50 yards is the benchmark for a good target pistol.
Really? Then post them as the Sig Sauer P210 is acknowledged as the most accurate 9x19mm auto loading pistol ever made by people with a better reputation than you. And the issue was and is 9x19mm pistols, not your .357 Ruger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top