JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is better for home defense

• Total voters
I won't say what is "better" for someone else in this case. My thoughts are more around which you train with and are most comfortable with in this environment. Whichever one chooses, we should make sure we are training with it on how it will be deployed. Handguns tend to get more attention by most (bless all of you that like and train with your bigger, little guns).

For example, from a few decades of talking with folks (not my friends here who are awesome about training and gun care), I dare say most home defense shotgun come out of the box, maybe even get loaded, and then sit in the back corner of closets or safes, rarely if ever to be touched. (I've cleaned them for peeps.) Those who do this will likely not be able to operate their now-rusted club. Cool thing is AR9's can be shot at most ranges, HD shotguns, not so much.
Interesting observation about shotguns. My guess is maybe they r uncomfortable with the recoil so they don't shoot it much? That can be made worse by holding the gun improperly. Imo shotgun is one of the most effective hd options. Is it better than a 556, pcc, or handgun? No, like u said it depends on what u have trained with. Whatever u can use most confidently to stop the threat is the best tool for you imo.

I think of it this way, if u had a pistol, a pcc, an ar, and a shotgun (with the right load) lying at your feet which one would u pick up first to hit a moving target at say 7-10 yards? Whatever you would pick up is probably the right gun for you for that snapshot in time of your training/experience over the years. In other words, it's probably going to be what u know you can shoot well and has enough power to do enough damage. All just imo, I'm no expert.

Here is a great discussion on shotguns. If u don't watch anything else I would suggest watching the graphic at the 16:30 mark as I think it's really helpful.

Home defense to me means outside the home and inside. I think of it the same as defending any fixed position, "defend from the outside in".

Fe if we have cameras that cover all areas and will alert ur phone when they r in the yard (I.e. perimeter defense), that's where I would engage them first, when they are outside and me inside. So I would choose whatever weapon was available to me that I was most confident in using in that situation and has the least potential for unintended consequences.

Then the next area closer would be where they are trying to gain entry (usually a window or door). So let's say the area where they are in contact with the house or maybe within 3 feet of the house or whatever. The camera will catch them there if they somehow missed them in the yard, or maybe your dog barking etc).

Confronting them from a window above may be an option or if u are late or they are fast in gaining entry, waiting in ambush inside for the second they gain entry would be a great place to be.

U can slow down their entry also. Fe most deadbolts have a latch inside and if you have glass paned doors they can break glass, reach in and turn the lock. We have our deadbolts with keys on both sides, we leave the key in the deadbolt on inside during the day so it functions just like a latch but at night we remove the key. Even if they break the glass they can't just reach in to gain entry.

The last point would be if they r actually inside the house and often this is the only one ppl think about. But you can keep that from ever happening possibly if you think in terms of "outside in defense".

A common situation we have in Portland is nighttime or 3am either camera picks up a snooper or you hear them because they are a meth head or crazy. For these what I have found helpful is leaving all the lights off (other than any nightlights) so you can see everything outside and they can see zero inside through the windows. With little or no light inside I think it's important to have everything you need in the most advantageous spot (such as if your bedroom is on top floor a window that overlooks everything) and don't move that stuff unless you have to so it's always right where you expect it. For example guns, flashlight, cell phone, extra mags, binoculars. Then even if u are droggy u can function well in the dark and everything is right there at your fingertips you don't have to go hunting for it in the dark or have to leave your station to go get something. So for me the first gun I think about is for when perp is outside the house and those guns are there in the right spot.

Also When they are outside you also have options of scaring them away before they ever become a problem (Fe shining a flashlight on them or using your voice).I have done this a few times over the years in this craphole Portland we live in now. It's an inconvenience to scare them away but it prevented a threat to my family or me having to shoot someone. All just how I think about it and may not be right way to think about it for the next guy.

Last Edited:
Interesting observation about shotguns. My guess is maybe they r uncomfortable with the recoil so they don't shoot it much? That can be made worse by holding the gun improperly. Imo shotgun is one of the most effective hd options. Is it better than a 556, pcc, or handgun? No, like u said it depends on what u have trained with. Whatever u can use most confidently to stop the threat is the best tool for you imo.

I think of it this way, if u had a pistol, a pcc, an ar, and a shotgun (with the right load) lying at your feet which one would u pick up first to hit a moving target at say 7-10 yards? Whatever you would pick up is probably the right gun for you for that snapshot in time of your training/experience over the years. In other words, it's probably going to be what u know you can shoot well and has enough power to do enough damage. All just imo, I'm no expert.

Here is a great discussion on shotguns. If u don't watch anything else I would suggest watching the graphic at the 16:30 mark as I think it's really helpful.
Good video. I was fortunate enough to attend the shotgun class at Thunder Ranch last year. I've always been a fan of the SG for defensive use. Agree that each of the three have their benefits, which is why all three are quickly available to us.
Home defense to me means outside the home and inside. I think of it the same as defending any fixed position, "defend from the outside in".
Agree, I don't expect to need to go outside but we should be prepared to do so.

Just to clarify, for me defending perimeter from inside the house is what I was referring to. About the only time I can think of to go outside is if someone was attacking house from a blind spot with molatovs or something like that.

Just to clarify, for me defending perimeter from inside the house is what I was referring to. About the only time I can think of to go outside is if someone was attacking house from a blind spot with molatovs or something like that.
Agree completely...but sadly the Molotov, carjacking in the driveway, pitchfork and torches mob assault thing is no longer a fantasy in today's world. Not my primary concern as an intruder inside the home is far more likely.

Between the bed and the nightstand...

View attachment 1146228

'Nuff said...
I thought that's where you kept this...

1646577317970.png

Fe if we have cameras that cover all areas and will alert ur phone when they r in the yard (I.e. perimeter defense), that's where I would engage them first, when they are outside and me inside.
This doesn't seem like "normal" Home Defense... it reads to me like total SHTF/Marshall Law.

I can't think of any reason why I would need to go outside, yet I do have a shotgun set up specifically for that purpose.... maybe chase a murderer? Pull a McCloskey???

About the only time I can think of to go outside is if someone was attacking house from a blind spot with molatovs or something like that.

but sadly the Molotov, carjacking in the driveway, pitchfork and torches mob assault thing is no longer a fantasy in today's world
Wow, so glad I don't live in YOUR neighborhoods!!!

This doesn't seem like "normal" Home Defense... it reads to me like total SHTF/Marshall Law.
You are right, however in many western cities such as Portland it is very close to "world without rule of law" imo. Fe in every neighborhood on east side of PDX people coming on your property helping themselves to what they want, drive by shootings and random errant bullets, attacks and car jacking at stores and gas stations or even old ladies waking their dog, anarchists using protests as a way to destroy stuff, whacked out meth heads or criminals breaking in etc is a daily occurrence.

You are right, however in many western cities such as Portland it is very close to "world without rule of law" imo. Fe in every neighborhood on east side of PDX people coming on your property helping themselves to what they want, drive by shootings and random errant bullets, attacks and car jacking at stores and gas stations or even old ladies waking their dog, anarchists using protests as a way to destroy stuff, whacked out meth heads or criminals breaking in etc is a daily occurrence.
Not currently legal to shoot azzbites for coming into your yard or on your block, I don't have to tell you...

When they start "The Purge", have at em.

Not currently legal to shoot azzbites for coming into your yard or on your block, I don't have to tell you...

So, when is someone gonna declare Open Season?
< impatiently waiting for opening day >

Yep I hear you. Having the right gun, phone, etc. available/ready if needed as you confront tresspasser (fe using flashlight or voice etc.) on your property from inside your house is what I was referring to.

I can't think of any reason why I would need to go outside, yet I do have a shotgun set up specifically for that purpose.... maybe chase a murderer? Pull a McCloskey???
I completely agree that it is a rare situation. What if someone follows one of my family members home and they don't pick up on it and bad stuff is happening in the driveway...I'm headed outside and would prefer to have some options. Bad stuff happens in good neighborhoods. Crooks shop an Nordstrom, not Dollar Tree.
And BTW, I use
RealDoll
for the "real" experience... ;)
I am just sooooooo afraid to click on this not know what is likely to land on my browser history!

I am just sooooooo afraid to click on this not know what is likely to land on my browser history!
You can click on the spoiler, it will just reveal a link.

Clicking on the link, well..... you might not wanna do that. Or maybe you might! :)

I agree with "use the pistol to get to the rifle".

Pros for both…

AR Pistol: higher capacity, better accuracy, better suited for longer range if you have a large house, even though it's larger than a pistol it's still very maneuverable in tight spaces, sling means you never have to set it down if you need two hands to do something (like control your dog or kid), more velocity (referring to the longer barrel models).

Handgun: more compact, more maneuverable (not by much).

I see the AR Pistol having a huge advantage over the handgun. My house isn't huge but there are a few places where the shot could be potentially 30-40'. I'm taking the AR. I actually have an AR carbine for my HD gun in an under the bed quick access safe (also a pistol and shotgun just too hard options and for my wife). I keep my CCW pistol in my night stand at night in case I don't have time to get into the safe, but the second I have the chance that AR is coming out.

If you have an AR pistol, practice clearing your house when no one is home. Then do it with a handgun. You will see there is not much difference is terms of maneuverability.

If your plan is to stay and squat in your bed room, which is totally viable if you don't want to confront an intruder, I think a shotgun is the better tool. Just don't expect the police to show up.

I completely agree that it is a rare situation. What if someone follows one of my family members home and they don't pick up on it and bad stuff is happening in the driveway...I'm headed outside and would prefer to have some options. Bad stuff happens in good neighborhoods. Crooks shop an Nordstrom, not Dollar Tree.
Good point.

Kyle Karuth his azz!!!

Yep I hear you. Having the right gun, phone, etc. available/ready if needed as you confront tresspasser (fe using flashlight or voice etc.) on your property from inside your house is what I was referring to.
Not wanting to be a Richard here, but I'm curious.... how do you see that confrontation proceeding? (I haven't really thought about this much.)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews