JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is better for home defense

• Total voters
Reactions
What is better for home defense 9mm pistol or AR 9mm

34462084-ADE7-4A11-AE92-6C12D1C5EB40.jpeg 59D68FFD-B50E-4856-A825-4E760B0A825D.jpeg

The one you have in your hand?

Never mind the fact that if I have pants on I have a gun.
9mm pistols are like flashlights. I have them both seeded around the house.

I had an AR 9mm, if I'm opening the safe that isn't what I'm grabbing.

I adhere to the old adage that you should only use your pistol to get to your rifle. If I'm able to choose between a pistol and a (semi-auto) rifle in a situation where I need either to defend my life, the rifle will always win.

I won't say what is "better" for someone else in this case. My thoughts are more around which you train with and are most comfortable with in this environment. Whichever one chooses, we should make sure we are training with it on how it will be deployed. Handguns tend to get more attention by most (bless all of you that like and train with your bigger, little guns).

For example, from a few decades of talking with folks (not my friends here who are awesome about training and gun care), I dare say most home defense shotgun come out of the box, maybe even get loaded, and then sit in the back corner of closets or safes, rarely if ever to be touched. (I've cleaned them for peeps.) Those who do this will likely not be able to operate their now-rusted club. Cool thing is AR9's can be shot at most ranges, HD shotguns, not so much.

Well lets, see Gen 4 Glock or PSA AR-V I know that is not the question but it helps me to answer.

I currently have access to a CZ Scorpion with a 35rd mag and a Glock 19 with a 15 but it depends on the situation as to what I grab. If I hear the door bust open in the middle of my sleep it's the G19 as it is on my head board for real quick access but if I hear noises out side and have a few seconds I will go for the scorpion.

I live in the woods and if folks are going through my shop, I want the extra stability, brighter light and the extra rounds of the Scorpion.

But I do have to say, its whatever you can get to first and are trained on.

Before the CZ it was an AR 5.56 pistol.

Pistol. There's a reason the Glock I EDC sits on my night stand next to me as I sleep. I don't live in a mansion. If I can't shoot down my single level hallway with a 9mm pistol I have bigger issues at hand.

Most important is a LOADED firearm equipped with a quality light and fresh batteries.

Know the layout of your house. Where your kids sleep. Where neighboring houses are. What angles are safe and which ones aren't. You're responsible for every single round. Choose the gun that you train with. The one you are efficient, fast, and accurate with (it should more than likely be the same gun you carry on your person on a daily basis or atleast a variation of it/the gun you have the most time behind).

Last Edited:
The pcc. Provides an extra bit of stability in a potentially stressful encounter, but is still small enough to easily maneuver.

With a cheap red dot, mine's a tack driver.

Last Edited:
Of the two pictured....I'd go with the Glock 'cause the other firearm has no sights....:D

A more serious answer would be a question or three....
Which one do you like better...?
Which one do you shoot better....?
Which one do you operate better...?

Its your home...what works for me , in my home and how I shoot , may be different than what works for you.
So it don't matter which one I think is better.
Andy

From what I have read in terms of home defense by "experts" in the craft, an AR-style pistol has more capacity, is more accurate, is a more stable platform, and with the short barrel is just as easily maneuvered in a home defense encounter as a handgun. Accordingly, my .40S&W EDC sits on my nightstand every night as I go to bed, but between the nightstand and my bed is a AR-15 pistol. Both of them have WMLs...

If I'm going with a two handed platform, I'm sure as all heck not gonna give up any power by using an "acceptable" pistol round. Those belong in handguns. So for the choices you listed, the handgun gets my vote. If you're gonna step up to 10mm or at least .45 in the AR style, I might change my tune, however it's a rifle capable receiver size so it really should use rifle power rounds

This is tough for me to answer as it would be both if possible. If I could only have one? Guess I would have to say pistol. Reason if I or someone else could only have one? The pistol is far easier to take along with you for carry of course. Also for clearing. I do LOVE the PCC's though for home use. If the "threat" is outside, and I am inside, waiting for help? I will have the PCC in hand. FAR easier to shoot. Even at across the home distance I can mag dump and hit what I shoot at with them as can most shooters easily learn to do.

From what I have read in terms of home defense by "experts" in the craft, an AR-style pistol has more capacity, is more accurate, is a more stable platform, and with the short barrel is just as easily maneuvered in a home defense encounter as a handgun. Accordingly, my .40S&W EDC sits on my nightstand every night as I go to bed, but between the nightstand and my bed is a AR-15 pistol. Both of them have WMLs...
Do the same thing. Above my head is one of the 1911's but between the nightstand and bed is an AR pistol in 9 with a light on it. If something sets off the alarms and Wife is in same room? That AR is going to be in hand while we wait. If I had to leave the room for some reason I would hand her the AR to have trained on the door. Then of course make sure she knows its me coming back in the door :D

Depends. Bigger and multi storied home may favor AR style and smaller single story lean towards pistol. Shorter distance and reaction time. From what videos I've seen, it's more important to get shots going as bad guys were looking for an easy target.

Either seems to work. I prefer a pistol at this time. I have both.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews