JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is better for home defense

• Total voters
Not wanting to be a Richard here, but I'm curious.... how do you see that confrontation proceeding? (I haven't really thought about this much.)
The confrontations I have done myself were with flashlight 1x, and voice 2x. Gun was at the ready below windowsill and not visible to perps. Camera detection was critical for 2 of the 3, whereas 3rd one they were farther away and I heard them. Other non-deadly force methods to move along psychos not on the property I won't get into.

Also a non confrontation I just remembered some years back (4 maybe?) before we had ring cameras. In the morning I found a hand-sized rock in middle of back yard right where the security light would turn on. Then I found where a chair was propped up to get over the fence. That yard is only accessible via a roof next door which was vacant at the time. I investigated and found homeless poop, a ruined painting and other homeless stuff along with an old wooden ladder. I destroyed the ladder and never had an issue with that since.

The confrontations I have done myself were with flashlight 1x, and voice 2x. Gun was at the ready below windowsill and not visible to perps. Camera detection was critical for 2 of the 3, whereas 3rd one they were farther away and I heard them. Other non-deadly force methods to move along psychos not on the property I won't get into.

Also a non confrontation I just remembered some years back (4 maybe?) before we had ring cameras. In the morning I found a hand-sized rock in middle of back yard right where the security light would turn on. Then I found where a chair was propped up to get over the fence. That yard is only accessible via a roof next door which was vacant at the time. I investigated and found homeless poop, a ruined painting and other homeless stuff along with an old wooden ladder. I destroyed the ladder and never had an issue with that since.
Wow!!!

In my neighborhood, I wouldn't expect more than a "Get off my lawn" to happen. And that was a momma deer and her yearlings. (The weirdest thing, this year she showed up with a fawn and 5 yearlings... she must have adopted some.)

I used to worry about car breakins. There were two in the neighborhood. But I put bright lights on the stoop/driveway, all four corners of garage, and the back porch. We are really lit up... and never have prowlers or trespassers or thieves... so far.

I choose a pistol if it has to be 9mm. I still stand by my conviction that if you are ok with the size and weight of an AR for hd, you might as well pick a more capable cartridge than 9mm. 5.56 or 300 blk would be high on the list. I can't see why you would want to neuter the platform by using a less effective cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews