JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shot a coyote in my back field with my scorpion evo about a month ago with a 115gr fmj and it put it down fine. As a camp gun the Ruger pcc9 would probably be fine. I wouldn't expect awesome accuracy past 100 yards though.

I am looking at a Ruger PCC9 as I shoot 9mm a lot and do not own a .22 anymore. Has anyone ever hunted small game with a 9mm and if so what kind of ammo should I be looking at?

Your question is too vague.

Depending on what I am hunting in regards to small game, it can range from my .177 air rifle, to my.22lr Marlin rifle and all the way up to my 12ga shotgun, with other different calibers in between those.

Specifics are needed to give a specific answer.

- P

Ok,ok... I stand corrected. After searching Washington Game laws, I can't find anything about FMJ or ball ammo being illegal. I grew up in Texas a half century ago and I'm positive there was, years ago, a law stating it was illegal to use it for hunting.
Now that I feel like an old fool, I'm going back to lurking mode !!

There is no need to return to lurking mode.
Just remember to hang on! The ride can get a bit bumpy. :s0004:

And anyways. Those here that care? Don't matter.
And those here that matter? Don't care. ;)

This stuff looks good, thanks!

But what are you planning to hunt in small game???

Bobcat?
Fox?
Racoon?
Rabbit?
Grouse?
Crow?
Coyote?
Belding Squirrel?
Eastern Gray Squirrel?

I don't think I would use a 9mm to shoot at crows, or grouse, rabbits, or squirrels just for accuracy reasons. But thats just my opinion.

- P

I want a "truck" gun, I also enjoy shooting and eating small creatures in my travels. I am looking at the new ruger take down. The idea of have a couple mags pre loaded with different ammo is appealing.

An AR would be great and all but traveling across state lines, the overal cost, and appearance makes me reluctant. All that being said a decent AR with the carry handle, iron sights, duracoated in real tree would also be awesome.

I put a cow down with a 9mm once. It would probably kill a squirrel too.

As long as you did not want the meat or hide hell yes. Punch a 9mm hole in something this small and if it runs off I would run off too. You are shooting something that's a zombie of some kind. Unless there is some other breed of Prairie dogs it would be the same. Ones we used to plink at are the same size as the squires here, maybe 1 pound if that. When I saw them hit with a .223 the hit was easy to see even at hundreds of yards since there was blood spray. Kind of like shooting a bottle of water with this round. Hydro static shock. There is no clean hole in one I ever saw. If we could find the bodies there were ragged parts left that looked like they had been blown up. Now if people are getting into things like a Badger or Coyote now that's a whole different game.

I want a "truck" gun, I also enjoy shooting and eating small creatures in my travels. I am looking at the new ruger take down. The idea of have a couple mags pre loaded with different ammo is appealing.

An AR would be great and all but traveling across state lines, the overal cost, and appearance makes me reluctant. All that being said a decent AR with the carry handle, iron sights, duracoated in real tree would also be awesome.

One of them 77/22 in 22 hornet might be neat. I really wanted an 1885 low wall in the hornet.

You can get into a very nice basic AR for the same money or less than the Ruger PC9 is selling for. Right now the Ruger PC's are selling for pretty close to MSRP, little over $600. That price will of course come down into the $5's soon but you can buy a nice AR for that right now. Not trying to talk you out of the Ruger, they are to me still the next gun I know I am going to buy. Just that AR's have been quite a great deal ever since the election. On this side of the states CA is probably the only place you would have to watch taking the AR into. Not to mention the AR in even a base model is going to have accuracy at range that is not even in the same league as the Ruger PC's

You can get into a very nice basic AR for the same money or less than the Ruger PC9 is selling for. Right now the Ruger PC's are selling for pretty close to MSRP, little over $600. That price will of course come down into the $5's soon but you can buy a nice AR for that right now. Not trying to talk you out of the Ruger, they are to me still the next gun I know I am going to buy. Just that AR's have been quite a great deal ever since the election. On this side of the states CA is probably the only place you would have to watch taking the AR into. Not to mention the AR in even a base model is going to have accuracy at range that is not even in the same league as the Ruger PC's
I heard that the Ruger is tossing them into about .5"/50yds.
That's pretty hard to beat out of a 9mm carbine.
A good pistol will only do about 2"/50yds.

Not everyone wants an AR - some prefer a 'conventionally' styled rifle. Whille I eventually came to dislike it the Sub 2K I had it was incredibly accurate. The accuracy displayed in the reviews of the PCC are pretty impressive and I cannot imagine an AR being more accurate than the PCC unless maybe built as a match grade with a higher quality, longer barrel & components.

Not everyone wants an AR - some prefer a 'conventionally' styled rifle. Whille I eventually came to dislike it the Sub 2K I had it was incredibly accurate. The accuracy displayed in the reviews of the PCC are pretty impressive and I cannot imagine an AR being more accurate than the PCC unless maybe built as a match grade with a higher quality, longer barrel & components.

I personally have no "want for" an AR any more but the price has had me tempted to buy another a few times since the election. Only reason I have not is I know it would spend most of it's life in the safe. Not sure who said the Ruger would not be as accurate as the standard AR. I can't see any reason one would not be. The round of course will not have near the range of course. The one poster here was saying he really wanted an AR but was concerned about price. That and wanting to shoot varmints with the rifle lends it's self to the AR platform since range is so limited with a 9mm. Hell right now there are several "nice" AR's to be had for the cost of what the Ruger PCC is selling for. Even after the market catches up the the new PCC drops to a more "normal price" the AR's will still be in the same ball park price wise. Assuming nothing happens to start another panic. Not going to stop me from buying one of the new Rugers of course but then I am a BIG fan of PCC's and this new one is like they did every damn thing right with them. Has me checking a couple times a day waiting for one to show up!!!

This is all really helpful...

The other thing to factor in here and why I am leaning away from a .22 is as follows. While incredibly unrealistic I like the idea of a rifle that I can use in 50 states for defensive purposes. My wife can really handle here own with a handgun or rifle and the ruger would be a great gun to use to get her range time and to use if she ever needed it (you know like a rude or unwelcome critter)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top