JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Boom: 5.4M first-time gun buyers, 33% women, blacks up 44%.

Joe Bartozzi, president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said, "The surveys revealed that new gun owners are continuing to embrace their Second Amendment rights and nearly half of them are seeking out professional training. These trends show that not only is there still a strong interest in gun ownership but also that these new gun owners are interested in learning more about the safe and responsible handling, use and storage of firearms."

The FBI reported that 2021 recorded the second-most ever background checks for weapon sales.

NSSF focused on the increases in minority and new buyers. Their data show:

• Nearly 47% of first-time gun buyers in 2021 asked about training and 43% signed up for training.
  • Nearly 23% of retailers indicated that first-time gun buyers in 2020 purchased another firearm in 2021.
  • Over 33% of first-time gun buyers in 2021 were women.
  • 44% of retailers saw an increase of African-Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
  • Nearly 40% of retailers saw an increase of Hispanic Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
  • Over 27% of retailers saw an increase of Asian Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
  • Over 18% of retailers saw an increase of Native Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
  • Nearly 14% of retailers saw an increase of Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders purchasing firearms in 2021.

Like seeing all those stats! The more people that exercise this right the harder it will be to take it away. In addition familiarity makes it harder to be bamboozled by propaganda.

I especially like to hear that so many first time purchasers are asking about and getting training.

Excellent stats. Its awesome to see females and various races engage in their firearm ownership and 2A rights.

It always baffled me why certain groups that have a history of being oppressed or victimized champion for gun control.. if anything they should be the loudest voices for 2A rights because it ensures they never become victims again.

Im happy to see many are waking up. I just hope they vote for freedom to maintain it.

Its awesome to see females and various races engage in their firearm ownership and 2A rights.
I stopped by the La Grande pistol range on a day the Women's IDPA group was shooting. The group is called "The Well Armed Woman". There were 10 times as many females competing/learning self defense shooting as there are when the mixed gender IDPA club shoots on the following Saturday. Pretty dang impressive!!!

(ETA: I mean 10 times as many shooters as the entire mixed IDPA match! We have 25-30 shooters on an avg match day, and they had prolly 150 female shooters!!!!!)

Don't run from these gals, you'll just die tired.

Last Edited:
I especially like to hear that so many first time purchasers are asking about and getting training.
We'll prolly see an explosion of fly-by-night trainers and people that THINK they know what they are doing and how to teach others. IMO the trick is to expose newbies to good choices in trainers... I wonder what the young counter guy at Sportsmen's recommends??? ;)

I stopped by the La Grande pistol range on a day the Women's IDPA group was shooting. The group is called "The Well Armed Woman". There were 10 times as many females competing/learning self defense shooting as there are when the mixed gender IDPA club shoots on the following Saturday. Pretty dang impressive!!!

Don't run from these gals, you'll just die tired.
That is awesome. One thing is for certain they'll never be victims or unprepared.

Always good to see an increase in gun sales but, they neglect the number of white males not being tracked that purchased a gun for their wife or daughter. I know one guy that purchased 3 guns for that reason. How is that tracked? Those were pistols. Not to mention the two 22 rifles he bought from me for the girls. 5 guns for women not tracked, by one guy.

My wife has a few guns or a lot, depending on how you count them.

You mean an arsenal!
Many men think they have an arsenal until they see one. It's like going to the gym and the next guy slaps on 2 more plates.

In 2011, I probably had one gun. In 2022 I have more than one gun. Definitely not an arsenal. My old neighbor lady was carrying 7 rifles up the porch one day. I asked if she needed help. She yelled, she got it. Again, you might think you have an arsenal until the lady with 7 guns walks by.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top