JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shooting 9mm out of a Thompson machine gun just wouldn't be the same.
It's kinda neat that you can see those slow .45's spitting out the end and going downrange.

Shooting 9mm out of a Thompson machine gun just wouldn't be the same.
It's kinda neat that you can see those slow .45's spitting out the end and going downrange.

When the sun sets, many people think of the wonder that is the universe and some people feel romantic. I thank God that it sets at my back as I face downrange, making my 230gr bullets glow orange as I shoot.

Ah. The Underwood offering. As tested by Tnoutdoors9 etc. Pretty close to the classic .357 magnum defense load out of a 4" barrel.
And if you want to hot up the round yourself, look up "9mm major".
OK, maybe I'm missing something here. We are talking about the 9mm Parabellum / Luger, right?? The standard 9x19 round? Or are you referring to the 9x21mm?

9mm Major is a classification by the USPSA (US Practical Shooting Association). In order for a cartridge to be classified as major or minor, there is a formula that will calculate this. The weight of a bullet multiplied by the muzzle velocity. The standard 9x19 can achieve a major classification if only loaded to pressures that exceed SAAMI pressure standards. USPSA has decided that these are unsafe loads in the 9x19 and they are prohibited. After all, who wants the possibility of a competitors gun coming apart at a match? The 9x19 is classified as minor in all USPSA competitions.

Enter the 9x21, a cartridge of Italian origin.. That is a cartridge that will safely meet major criteria. Even then, as I look through the loading data, the 9x21 shows 1550 fps with a 90 grain bullet with a maximum load of various powders. The heavier bullets still fall short of 1550 fps, even at maximum powder loads. This data can be found in the 5th edition of the Sierra Reloading Manual. The firearm used was the EAA Witness with a 5 inch barrel.

As for "hotting up" the round for myself, no thanks. Been reloading for 45 years, haven't destroyed any guns, and don't intend to. I have a couple of 9x19's, and I see no need to go out and get a 9x21 or even the 9mm Largo.

OK, maybe I'm missing something here. We are talking about the 9mm Parabellum / Luger, right?? The standard 9x19 round? Or are you referring to the 9x21mm?

9mm Major is a classification by the USPSA (US Practical Shooting Association). In order for a cartridge to be classified as major or minor, there is a formula that will calculate this. The weight of a bullet multiplied by the muzzle velocity. The standard 9x19 can achieve a major classification if only loaded to pressures that exceed SAAMI pressure standards. USPSA has decided that these are unsafe loads in the 9x19 and they are prohibited. After all, who wants the possibility of a competitors gun coming apart at a match? The 9x19 is classified as minor in all USPSA competitions.

Enter the 9x21, a cartridge of Italian origin.. That is a cartridge that will safely meet major criteria. Even then, as I look through the loading data, the 9x21 shows 1550 fps with a 90 grain bullet with a maximum load of various powders. The heavier bullets still fall short of 1550 fps, even at maximum powder loads. This data can be found in the 5th edition of the Sierra Reloading Manual. The firearm used was the EAA Witness with a 5 inch barrel.

As for "hotting up" the round for myself, no thanks. Been reloading for 45 years, haven't destroyed any guns, and don't intend to. I have a couple of 9x19's, and I see no need to go out and get a 9x21 or even the 9mm Largo.

Well said. Agreed

I don't carry how others judge my carry piece. 80% of the time I'm carrying a Kimber Pro TLE II. The other 20% a Glock 19. I shoot both very well and believe either of them will perform well in a DGU situation.

I carried my Springfield 1911 for ten years because its what UI shot well, and it was the only handgun I had for a long time.
Now I have several, mostly 1911s is .45, but I do like my Sig P226 9mm. I cant honestly say I LOVE my Sig, but I do trust it to work in any situation.
I have been carrying it for a few months now, and I do feel confident with it on my side.
I know the old saying goes " .45 , cuz shooting twice is silly..."
Well, I have 19 rounds of 147grain 9mm cuz reloading under stress may not be an option...

9mm and .45ACP.. Those are the only two pistol calibers I'll own for semi autos.

I have an oddball 21A for nostalgia and of course wheel guns in .357..
But aside from those, I see no point in .380, 357 sig, .40, 10mm..etc.. Not for me. If a 9 or .45 doesnt fit the bill I dont want it.

So a .45 fan here.

x2. I own other calibered handguns (.44 mag, .45 LC, .38 Spc & S&W, .357, .22 LR) for recreation and collectability, but for defensive carry, it's my 9mm Glock 19 and my three 1911A1s in .45 ACP. Got rid of my last .40 a couple of years ago.

^^^^ i used to like the smell of 12 gauge in the morning, but then I realized that large bore was harder to conceal, so I now I hit the steel with a 45 it goes ~bong~ .... :s0005:

:s0104:Because we share, wright? Err write???

Uhh Correct....

Has this thread gone to Vapor Humor?:s0065:

No joke,, my son (spec ops) shoots a 300 yard steel with his 9 that is the carbon copy of his issue weapon and he tends to twang it as much or more than he misses it. It music to my old ears to hear him down at his 10 acre place keeping in form!
I wouldn't want to be caught between his irons.

My buddy has a cz75 that just might be the next purchase.
You won't be disappointed. Probably the primary reason I bought MY CZ 75 IS because with Hough grips it is the closest thing to the 'feel' of my 1911 in a double stack - and shoots incredibly accurately. If you love the 1911 the CZ 75 is the 'natural' companion in a Hi Cap nine. About the only other 'nine' I MIGHT consider is a 1911.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top