JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why all the 45 haters? Is it 1911 hate, or 45 hate? I get the capacity issue to an extent. Thats why God invented the Glock 21 and Sig 227. If you can effectively control a 45 in rapid fire, why not?

My department has gone back to 9mm mostly for shootability with smaller officers, smaller gun size for smaller officers, and ammo cost. Im confident it will work. But if you can sling 200+ grains of lead and put it where it counts, I dont see why you wouldnt.

I think of it more as 1911 hate because no one gives the guy carrying a Sig 220 a hard time.

I hate neither, in fact am very fond of both rounds.
I own and use both in various handguns including old school 1911's
And to paraphrase a little bit here, from my cold dead hands shall they be taken!

There are certain styles of handguns that appeal to me, others that just don't. The beauty of it is that I have all those choices to make,,, Aaaargh!

To the haters, I understand. I still don't get all the "ultra mag, short mag, super short whatever's" either!:s0018:

What I think is ridiculous is there are 3 main automatic pistol cartridges with another 3 fringe cartridges that are just popular enough for manufacturers to make guns. These are for self defense, the most critical need a person would have for a gun.

Now, look at how many hunting cartridges there are from 204 ruger to 35 Whelen. These isnt even an exhaustive list of calibers but covers anything anyone would do in the US. This is for hunting, a recreational activity. We havent hunted for subsistence in over a century.

Makes no sense to me.

9mm and .45ACP.. Those are the only two pistol calibers I'll own for semi autos.

I have an oddball 21A for nostalgia and of course wheel guns in .357..
But aside from those, I see no point in .380, 357 sig, .40, 10mm..etc.. Not for me. If a 9 or .45 doesnt fit the bill I dont want it.

So a .45 fan here.

9mm fan. Nothing against .45 but I havn't personally needed more then that (simi-auto cartridges, not a 9mm vs .45 debate on grains vs velocity - my other handgun caliber is .357mag) and I can get a 1911 in 9mm if I want one.

More guns come from the factory in 9mm vs .45 so I have more options on that alone.

As I used to tell anyone that would listen-

It isn't about the caliber of the bullet, it is all in the motion of the trigger.

A nice 1911 trigger is hard to beat.

I mentioned the ability to handle recoil and place shots. Its a moot point if you cant handle the gun. No one would argue that a 270 with 130gr bullets at 3000 fps is as much gun as a 300 with 180gr bullets doing the same speed but some people hit a wall at any level of recoil above a 270.

So, if you can place a shot, why not shoot a 416 over a 7x57 when hunting an animal that can stomp a mudhole in your candyazz. Same with a defensive cartridge. If you can handle it, why not shoot 230 over 115?

A couple thing are going on here, first rifle are more interesting than handguns and second we use rifle to hunt everything from ground hog, coyotes, deer, elk, moose, bear, cape buffalo to elephants (add a whole lot in between), when it come to self defense we are typically just talking about two legged vermin.

That makes sense. Seems like one could argue that someone could hunt anything from squirrels to moose with a 338 win mag and ditch the rest.

It would be funny if we chose a carry gun depending on the expected threat. Going to the Old Country Buffet? Pack my 45 for those 350 pounders! Going to Longview? Where is my tweaker pistol?

You understand that when you argue for a certain gun or caliber. What your really doing. Is trying to convince yourself?

I tell ya Kid.
That ''masturbation of the mind'' stuff is gona make you go blind! :s0077:

Nah, i just wonder why anyone criticizes anyones choice in calibers. Ive seen people shot with the big 3 and there are successes and failures all around.

Ok so I'm freaking confused. So is it or is it not ok to have a handgun that doesn't start with .4?

Five years ago it wasn't and that was the last time I checked. Any help would be appreciated

I love my .45s. I love my 9mms too but if I knew I was going to have an altercation and could only choose between the two I'd rather have a .45.

I also love my .300 win mag and shoot it just fine. I believe based on personal experience that it stops elk and deer faster than a .270 or a .30-06 on well placed lung hits.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top