JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Titegroup

I share it with 9mm and 45 and it's cheap, takes a small charge compared to other powders, and meters well. Titegroup won't push the velocity envelope(I think it's too fast a powder for that) but I've achieved great accuracy in my CZ97 with Titegroup loads.

I'm also surprised no one has said Clays yet. That's one of the go-to IDPA powders for 45 thanks to it's economy.

If you accedently over charge it will fill the case and you will be unable to seat the bullet.
I am not sure what you consider an over charge to be but it takes me a triple charge at 5.2 to reach the rim. I have loaded many thousands of 45 at oal of 1.235, 5.2 win 231 and 230 grain FMJ. Makes great range ammo.

Bullseye would be my first choice. Win231 and Titegroup are good second choices.
Legend has it that Bullseye was designed for the .45acp and that the actual original lot of powder is tested each and every year and will continue on. That lot still performs perfectly.
I don't have a/the source but I remember those details.

Ah, Unique, otherwise known as "flammable dirt"!

Love it!
Yes, Unique is a bit dirty, but it's one of only two powders I've used in the .45ACP for years. It will push bullets slightly faster than Bullseye, WW231, Green Dot and Red Dot will.
The other powder I really like is Blue Dot. Although it's not any cleaner than Unique, it's a bit faster. Charges that can run up to and over 11 grains would certainly overflow the case on a double charge.
Neither of these is hard to clean up after, but you'll be able to watch your gun get dirty as you shoot and if shooting a revolver, you'll get your hands dirty.

Love it!
Yes, Unique is a bit dirty, but it's one of only two powders I've used in the .45ACP for years. It will push bullets slightly faster than Bullseye, WW231, Green Dot and Red Dot will.
The other powder I really like is Blue Dot. Although it's not any cleaner than Unique, it's a bit faster. Charges that can run up to and over 11 grains would certainly overflow the case on a double charge.
Neither of these is hard to clean up after, but you'll be able to watch your gun get dirty as you shoot and if shooting a revolver, you'll get your hands dirty.
See, I enjoy cleaning firearms, not as much as shooting, but just another facet of the sport. So cleanup for me is what happens at night after a trip to the range. Besides, what else in the world smells like Hoppes #9????

See, I enjoy cleaning firearms, not as much as shooting, but just another facet of the sport. So cleanup for me is what happens at night after a trip to the range. Besides, what else in the world smells like Hoppes #9????

I'm right with you on that!

I'm not new to reloading just new to loading .45 ACP. Looking for a clean burning, good metering from a Dillon 550, and accurate powder with good case fill so a double charge would be easily spotted. I'm not asking to much am I lol. At least a powder that meters well and is accurate are my top concerns. I'm going to be loading Zero 230gr FMJ bullets for my Springfield 1911. Anyone care to share their opinions on some different powders they've had luck with? Thanks.

I'm not new to reloading just new to loading .45 ACP. Looking for a clean burning, good metering from a Dillon 550, and accurate powder with good case fill so a double charge would be easily spotted. I'm not asking to much am I lol. At least a powder that meters well and is accurate are my top concerns. I'm going to be loading Zero 230gr FMJ bullets for my Springfield 1911. Anyone care to share their opinions on some different powders they've had luck with? Thanks.
I use CFE. Meters well in my 550. It may not fill the case a lot, but I visually check every round after metering and before placing the bullet. That is the reason why I switched from a 650 to a 550. i have to hand turn the turret and that gives me the chance to inspect every case for powder volume before setting the bullet. I have never had a double feed or squib using the 550. I also weight a charge every 50 rounds just to check, and I seldom have to make an adjustment with CFE.

Love it!
I've used Blue Dot and Green Dot to good effect as well. It's hard to find a powder that does NOT do well in the .45ACP.

Last Edited:
700X works well too but I had to run it through the chargemaster to use it. I couldnt get Dillon measures to meter it any where near consistantly. Unfortunately its another powder I have a lot of and would like to have an easy use for.

After years of reloading the 45 ACP, and trying a lot of different powders, my go to powder for full power 230 grain loads is Accurate #5. It meters wonderfully as it is a ball powder. You can't double charge a case as a full power load is 8.5 to 8.7 grains and loading density is close to 100%. It offers lower pressure for a given velocity than about any powder. It is clean. It has superb accuracy. The only downside is that you use somewhat more powder than some of the faster burning powders, but to me, that is far offset by all the positives.

After loading tens of thousands of rounds of 45 ACP ball ammo, I have yet to find a better powder for full power 230 grain loads....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top