JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do we have too many cartridges to pick from?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Never enough

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • What?

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Who cares? .45, .30 and 12ga all I need!

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Besides, all one really needs is 22lr.
Not so much , there are horses for courses after all . The better question is does the newer shorter pony which operates at higher pressure offer a real improvement in performance and actually get anything done better than the larger thoroughbred horse did ? It doesn't go faster , and isn't more accurate. It just fits in a newer rifle with a "short action" which very well may be not any shorter than the other action.

Marketing is a wonderful thing indeed.

Not so much , there are horses for courses after all . The better question is does the newer shorter pony which operates at higher pressure offer a real improvement in performance and actually get anything done better than the larger thoroughbred horse did ? It doesn't go faster , and isn't more accurate. It just fits in a newer rifle with a "short action" which very well may be not any shorter than the other action.

Marketing is a wonderful thing indeed.
Sometimes something comes along, marketing or not, and it works really well for its intended uses. 300 blackout is one that really did a good job mixing heavy bullets with high BCs to create a subsonic but precise round that can be used in many military and law enforcement rolls

Another example is 6ARC. Which is basically 243 win but using newer improved bullets and powders.

Sometimes something comes along, marketing or not, and it works really well for its intended uses. 300 blackout is one that really did a good job mixing heavy bullets with high BCs to create a subsonic but precise round that can be used in many military and law enforcement rolls

Another example is 6ARC. Which is basically 243 win but using newer improved bullets and powders.
I would disagree on the ARC entirely its no where near the performance of a 243 , and the case dimensions of the ARC agree with that assessment . Now a 6mm Creedmoor is identical in performance to a 243 Winchester

I would disagree on the ARC entirely it's no where near the performance of a 243 , and the case dimensions of the ARC agree with that assessment . Now a 6mm Creedmoor is identical in performance to a 243 Winchester

I'll agree 243 still wins but the cartridge and chamber won't allow for the longer, better BC bullets. That's why 6 creed exists. Those aren't truly marketed that much though. I think it's because they aren't really for hunting? Beats me, I don't see a lot of hype over new cartridges like they used to. 400 legend came out and it wasn't even promoted all that heavily. It might be more regionally promoted though.
Edit: I have no idea how that post came out like that.

Too many? Nope. Market and success (or lack of) will weed out the bum cartridges.

Some, even most, will be a flash in the pan, but some will endure and come out on top.

If we didn't feel the need to develop more and/or better cartridges, the gun companies wouldn't have many new guns to sell.

I will agree however, if they're gonna market newer cartridges, they owe it to the rest of us to supply the need for existing cartridges.

I'll agree 243 still wins but the cartridge and chamber won't allow for the longer, better BC bullets. That's why 6 creed exists. Those aren't truly marketed that much though. I think it's because they aren't really for hunting? Beats me, I don't see a lot of hype over new cartridges like they used to. 400 legend came out and it wasn't even promoted all that heavily. It might be more regionally promoted though.
Edit: I have no idea how that post came out like that.

I have a 243 heavy barrel I had built to handle 108 grain ELD bullets as others have also done and it absolutely will shoot them accurately . So to say a 243 can't handle heavier bullets is an inaccuracy , a 270 with a custom barrel can handle those long 270 ELD bullets as well.

Noticed a few threads elsewhere about new calibers like 8.6 Blackout, .45 Raptor, .400 Legend and so on.... makes me wonder. Are we American gun owners spoiled for choice with the cornucopia of cartridges offered
?
I don't think spoiled. Blessed Maybe. Freedom, Liberty, and fellowship. Lots of choices is good. Very very good.

That said, I'm still very partial to my .357 and 38. And maybe my .40 if the "s" goes down.

Too many? Nope. Market and success (or lack of) will weed out the bum cartridges.

Some, even most, will be a flash in the pan, but some will endure and come out on top.

If we didn't feel the need to develop more and/or better cartridges, the gun companies wouldn't have many new guns to sell.

I will agree however, if they're gonna market newer cartridges, they owe it to the rest of us to supply the need for existing cartridges.
Further...

At the same time, others would say newer stuff is unnecessary.

What if I agreed, and said all the .327's, Creed's, Grendel's, short magnums, PRC's, etc., were a complete waste of shelf space, just because I personally have little interest? Wouldn't fly.

My point, folks are okay with everything new, up until they have everything they need, then they begrudge any further releases. I'll bet there was a time, folks had their 7mm Mauser and .30-40 Krag cartridges, and said, we don't need that new fangled .30-06 . :D

Last Edited:
There aren't too many cartridge choices to choose from.
HOWEVER, there ARE too many damn Samsung options to choose from! This is beyond ridiculous!!!

1683420701350.png

And hell no I won't get an iPhone.

There is nothing wrong with choice.

Nope. Market and success (or lack of) will weed out the bum cartridges.
This is the essence of the matter in a nutshell.

If there is money to be made selling it, they will supply it. That's the beauty of the free market system.

The problem the 270win faces (for me) is lack of bullet weight ranges and its factory standard 1:10 twist. It need an update. I am with 100% with the Swede.
I hunted with a .270WSM for a number of years. Snagged a Marlin XL-7 in standard .270 Win a few years ago (since I already had a supply of .277 projectiles), and it has become my primary hunting tool since deer and antelope are my only larger game that I hunt. The standard .270 with 130 gr to 150 grain bullets has been taking reasonable game at reasonable ranges for almost 100 years, the majority of them with ancient non high tech cup and core projectiles. My nice Muley buck last fall fell to an old fashioned Hornady 130 gr Spire Point Interlock bullet launched at a little over 2900 fps from the Marlin's 22" barrel. No custom fast twist barrel, or bonded boat tail long range mono metal bullet needed. No update needed for most people, YMMV.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top