JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After years of reloading the 45 ACP, and trying a lot of different powders, my go to powder for full power 230 grain loads is Accurate #5. It meters wonderfully as it is a ball powder. You can't double charge a case as a full power load is 8.5 to 8.7 grains and loading density is close to 100%. It offers lower pressure for a given velocity than about any powder. It is clean. It has superb accuracy. The only downside is that you use somewhat more powder than some of the faster burning powders, but to me, that is far offset by all the positives.

After loading tens of thousands of rounds of 45 ACP ball ammo, I have yet to find a better powder for full power 230 grain loads....
All good reasons to use AA#5. I might try it next time I buy powder. Does it also work well for 9mm and .40S&W?

All good reasons to use AA#5. I might try it next time I buy powder. Does it also work well for 9mm and .40S&W?

AA#5 works quite well in the 9mm. I don't shoot or load for the 40 S&W so I've no experience there, but the burn rate is such that it should be a good powder there too. I use AA#5 in the 38 Special, 9mm, 44 Special, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt. It does a good job in all of them as long as you're loading moderate to full power loads. There are better powders for light loads, but for medium to full power loads, it's a great, versatile, powder....

AA#5 works quite well in the 9mm. I don't shoot or load for the 40 S&W so I've no experience there, but the burn rate is such that it should be a good powder there too. I use AA#5 in the 38 Special, 9mm, 44 Special, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt. It does a good job in all of them as long as you're loading moderate to full power loads. There are better powders for light loads, but for medium to full power loads, it's a great, versatile, powder....
Thanks. I think I will give it a try.

After years of reloading the 45 ACP, and trying a lot of different powders, my go to powder for full power 230 grain loads is Accurate #5. It meters wonderfully as it is a ball powder. You can't double charge a case as a full power load is 8.5 to 8.7 grains and loading density is close to 100%. It offers lower pressure for a given velocity than about any powder. It is clean. It has superb accuracy. The only downside is that you use somewhat more powder than some of the faster burning powders, but to me, that is far offset by all the positives.

After loading tens of thousands of rounds of 45 ACP ball ammo, I have yet to find a better powder for full power 230 grain loads....

Have you chrono-ed any of these loads?

#5 works very well in 9 & 40 as well as the before mentioned calibers, I use it in 380acp to.

Autocomp was developed for autoloading pistols. Meters great and is very consistent.

It is my to go powder for 45 acp, 40 S&W, 9MM, 38 Super Comp and even makes major in 9MM.

Used to keep a bunch of powders but now I only need one.

Last Edited:
TiteWad for powder puff 230gr loads. About 600fps and a lighter recoil spring. Smooth as butter. Hogdon lists 2.8gr 230gr 684fps. 3.3gr 767fps. Meters great and very low cost!!

***** Do NOT use Titewad in 9mm, it is too unpredictable at 9mm pressures.

I just did some loads with Winchester 231, Titegroup and Accurate #5. Also shot some Remington "bucket o' bullets" factory. W231 was the cleanest burning of all the cartridges.

I've used Win 231 a good deal, made on a Dillon 550.
I learned to use loaded-powder, depth-gauge* for every cartridge. No need to ask why. Double charges must be avoided at all costs.

*small roofing nail, inserted head down, with depth marks on shank.

Winchester 231 works well but I have found that it is temperature sensitive. I used it quite a bit in the past as a competition shooter (action pistol) but found that for a load that I had developed in the winter months (to include extensive chronograph testing). The same load would be consistently 60 to 100 feet per second slower in the summer. Unique works well but I have found it to be a little too dirty for the amount of shooting that I have engaged in. Either shooting in a match or in practice sessions preparing for a match (between 300 to 600 rounds). I like using titegroup in that per pound of powder I will get about 200 to 300 more rounds of equivalent power loads than I will get out of 231 or unique. Titegroup (in my eperience) seems to run cleaner in the gun and it is not temperature sensitive. Just 2 cents worth.......

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top