JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at the dimensions of both calibers, it seems 223 is .004" larger diameter at the base. Measuring the taper at .680 (380 case length) mark on the 223 case, I measure .365" dia (BTW, 223 has a .002" rim. So, .002" larger dia at the body) I wondering is there anything preventing me from cutting a 223 case down to 380 then full length sizing it? 223 has larger C.U.P. pressure rating and primer pockets are the same size. I (cheapskate) would try it but would have to buy another set of dies.

The 380 and 223 cases use the same shell holder so if the 223 was cut down it would probably fit but you most likely wouldn't be able to seat a bullet due to the internal thickness of the case web. The other thing is that .380 guns are made to work with 380 pressures decidedly not .223 pressures.

Not really but if a shortage is coming, 380 seems to be one of the first to disappear.
I get mine here:

It's true that for a while there, .380 had just about disappeared and you couldn't find loaded ammo. BUT: Beware of "getting ready for next time." Because next time often involves different things. We tend to get ready for the last problem, not the next one. Which is natural because we can only make plans based on our previous experience.

I would say a different tactic to accomplish the same thing is to buy as much loaded .380 ammo as you want and can afford. Then you will have the empties after you go through the loaded ammo, which is available again at this time. Do the math, Midway has Magtech and Norma .380 for 40 cents a round. Maybe you can find it for less. The components add up now. 9 cents for a primer, 8 to 14 cents apiece for a plated or jacketed bullet. Powder is negligible but still you must buy a pound if you don't already have one that is compatible. Then there is the brass case issue.

Prices on everything are crazy these days. But even in the past as a reloader, some things were just better done by someone else. For example, when I cast bullets, I saved those talents for expensive or hard to find bullets. I'd cast for .45-70, .38-40, 8x56R, etc., but I wouldn't bother casting my own for .38 Special or 9mm. .32 was an absolute no brainer.

If I didn't already have a bunch of stuff for 9mm, I probably wouldn't be loading that for myself now either, considering the contemporary cost of components. Now I'm kinda locked into it, being as how I have lots of 9mm bullets and small pistol primers. If I had to do it again, I'd be buying boxes of loaded 9mm ammo. The same argument might be made for .223 at today's component prices.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top