JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not new to reloading just new to loading .45 ACP. Looking for a clean burning, good metering from a Dillon 550, and accurate powder with good case fill so a double charge would be easily spotted. I'm not asking to much am I lol. At least a powder that meters well and is accurate are my top concerns. I'm going to be loading Zero 230gr FMJ bullets for my Springfield 1911. Anyone care to share their opinions on some different powders they've had luck with? Thanks.

I love my Red Dot. Promo is the same thing but cheaper with no red dots. Case fill is excellent and it has been used by millions for a heck of a long time.

I use 231, wsf, wst, bullseye, & a small handful of others depending on what's at hand. Usually get my best accuracy from the lower end of the charts ymmv
Good luck, fun round to explore.

Cfe pistol is my current favorite, gives very good velocities and low SD. Honestly though anything suggested in this thread will work great, .45 ACP is a forgiving round that has been around for a long time, not really much that wont work.

I'm in the same boat, just about to start loading .45 but I've always found Accurate Powders to work well for me in both 9mm, 10mm and .223 before I switched to H335 just for sake of duplicity with my .308 loads, #5 I already use for 9mm and they list load data for .45 that looks fine.

I also load on a 550 and the benefit of the Accurate powder is it is a fine ball that meters very easily.

Lots of other powders out there though, can't say I have experience with many of them.

Cfe pistol is my current favorite, gives very good velocities and low SD. Honestly though anything suggested in this thread will work great, .45 ACP is a forgiving round that has been around for a long time, not really much that wont work.
Indeed. There's a youtube vid where a guy uses black powder and the pistol works fine for a few mags before it cruds up.

231 or Red dot for me.

I used to use and love PB and to a lesser extent Herco but those are old powders with limited supply.
I used to love Top-Mark.. I started loading with it when I was 16.. out of a big can that was ancient and discontinued way back before then.

I like 231 a lot. But on my 550B, I use Unique because a double charge will overflow the case with the loads I use. I had a friend double charge a .45 ACP load with Bullseye while using a single stage press. I figured if it could happen to him, it can happen to anyone. In 30 years of use with the 550B, I have double charged one round and I caught it immediately because it was overflowing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top