JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do we have too many cartridges to pick from?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Never enough

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • What?

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Who cares? .45, .30 and 12ga all I need!

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Lots of cartridges are answers to problems which don't exist . Of course life would be boring for some folks if they actually had to come to terms with the idea their new cartridge actually isn't as cool as the marketing was which caused them to buy it.

Lots of cartridges are answers to problems which don't exist . Of course life would be boring for some folks if they actually had to come to terms with the idea their new cartridge actually isn't as cool as the marketing was which caused them to buy it.
Ditto this.

Basically just mfgs. throwing stuff out to see what will stick. Slap on names like 'Blackout or 'Raptor' to raise the eyebrows of impressionable shooters and see what happens.

It's been like this forever. Remember the Winchester Short Magnum cartridges, or the Rem 'Ultra Mags' ? Ever see 'em much anymore?

Never enough.

Although I'm pretty happy with our current caliber choices (pretty vanilla), having no interest in others ATM.

Its the ATM which has me voting "never enough". Never know what may peak an interest in the future...

The new cartridges dieing out do not bother me as much as watching the clasics fade a way. Classics like the 300H&H, 9.3X74R, 257Roberts for example.

Last Edited:
We lack manufacturers for the amount of cartridges out there. And when the market is starving for ammo, it could years for a particular caliber to be back on the shelves.

I have to agree. Always introducing something "new and shiny" to promote ongoing sales for the guy that's "gotta own em all", but typically much to do about nothin' in the long run.

I often wonder... S really HTF... there are going to be a ton of firearms completely unusable after the first few months. No cross compatibility with your tinhat prepper neighbors stockpiles not sufficient components for reloading.

Kind of disagree - but it all boils down to whether or not you see a "problem" worth solving. The popularity of the AR-15 and AR-10 has led to a few cartridges that really don't do anything new but the form factor fits an AR mag better so…while terminal ballistics are beating up a dead horse, the new problem solved is reliability in a new platform (for the cartridge).

I'm quite happy with these developments - especially regarding subsonic rounds. Maybe the growing interest in them and suppressors will see cans taken off the NFA in my lifetime.

I often wonder... S really HTF... there are going to be a ton of firearms completely unusable after the first few months. No cross compatibility with your tinhat prepper neighbors stockpiles not sufficient components for reloading.
Doubt it, to be honest. Those into obscure calibers have their Ruger #1's and enough reloading supplies to last a lifetime. What's the advice we always give to people new to AR's: buy one in 5.56 or .223wylde and use it before even thinking of doing a rarer caliber. And I think most people act on that advice.

So, while yea there will be some unusable firearms…the vast majority sold are still 9x19, 5.56, .308, .30-06…I don't think there are actually ANY firearms owners out there that only have an obscure caliber in their possession. And if there are and S really hits the F…there will be enough pick up opportunities to last a lifetime. A very short, most likely violent, lifetime.

I would say yes we are 'spoiled".

As pointed out earlier...marketing and hype can make for a big seller...just not big on performance.
Also as mentioned earlier...many older cartridges do the same as some hot new kid on the block.

And...I never thought I would see the day when .30-30 was difficult to find on a store shelf.
I would rather see more time proven ammo on the shelf , than read about some new whiz bang cartridge.
Andy

Further thoughts on this , because I have had others point out to me in the past is how cartridge x can fit in a short action and cartridge y can't fit in the same . How many people here are aware or know that there is no standard for what a short action is ? and more than a few short actions are as long as a standard length action even if the bolt stroke is a fraction of an inch shorter . What is the point of carrying a short action which is just as long as the standard length action if the primary benefit of the cartridge is its ability to fit in the "short action" ? So I do not buy into the argument that hey this cartridge fits in a short action argument no more than I buy into the idea the 6.5 creedmoor is all the awesomeness people claim when its main benefit is that it was designed to work with longer bullets which isn't as much a function of the case as it is the chosen twist rate of the barrel.

Most will be disappointed to know the Swede will out perform the Creedmoor and that the 270 Winchester will outperform it by a significant margin .

I say all this because at least for now I am not too lazy to carry a rifle with an action which has a bolt stroke a fraction of an inch longer . The weight impediment of such has not been so great it prevents the rifle from being used .

It's nice to have choices and the upside is that you are keeping gun and ammo manufactures in business, just don't pretend that your chosen flavor of the month is a real solution to a problem something else didn't address in many cases 100 years ago and further food for thought for those who might opine that this or that cartridge benefits from modern powders . All smokeless cartridges can benefit from the same

If i had a gun mentor when i got into this hobby, i would not have amassed the amount of array of cartridges that simply do a well rounded job. But now i have matured and shot my research, i would be fine with just 22LR, 9X19, 7MM08 (or 6.5x55) AND 9.3X62. Yes, 2 of those are not super common but that would be my "keeping it cool" factor. I do not need magnums or brass cases that burn up unnecessary powder when compared (short vs long).

Last Edited:
Further thoughts on this , because I have had others point out to me in the past is how cartridge x can fit in a short action and cartridge y can't fit in the same . How many people here are aware or know that there is no standard for what a short action is ? and more than a few short actions are as long as a standard length action even if the bolt stroke is a fraction of an inch shorter . What is the point of carrying a short action which is just as long as the standard length action if the primary benefit of the cartridge is its ability to fit in the "short action" ? So I do not buy into the argument that hey this cartridge fits in a short action argument no more than I buy into the idea the 6.5 creedmoor is all the awesomeness people claim when its main benefit is that it was designed to work with longer bullets which isn't as much a function of the case as it is the chosen twist rate of the barrel.

Most will be disappointed to know the Swede will out perform the Creedmoor and that the 270 Winchester will outperform it by a significant margin .

I say all this because at least for now I am not too lazy to carry a rifle with an action which has a bolt stroke a fraction of an inch longer . The weight impediment of such has not been so great it prevents the rifle from being used .

It's nice to have choices and the upside is that you are keeping gun and ammo manufactures in business, just don't pretend that your chosen flavor of the month is a real solution to a problem something else didn't address in many cases 100 years ago and further food for thought for those who might opine that this or that cartridge benefits from modern powders . All smokeless cartridges can benefit from the same
The problem the 270win faces (for me) is lack of bullet weight ranges and its factory standard 1:10 twist. It need an update. I am with 100% with the Swede.

There are not too many choices, enough choices? Yes.

I am sure there are plenty of Super Carry fans but that seems to be a flop, I do however want me some .22 Hornet, I do not know why.

Oh wait... Because America :s0094:

The problem the 270win faces (for me) is lack of bullet weight ranges and its factory standard 1:10 twist. It need an update. I am with 100% with the Swede.
I am with you on both counts , but the math doesn't lie either that the ballistic superiority of the venerable 270 exists when compared to the Creedmoor .

Having said that I am a 30 cal and 280 fan at the same time I can also say once you get to a 150 grain bullet there's not much point in my mind to the 270 or the 280 over the 30-06 which pushes heavier pills better than the other two .

'MURICA!! :s0069::s0168:

IMG_0865.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews