JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
I would ask what the expected range will be; as others have noted, 600+ yards is where 6.5 CM shines. On the other hand, it also has a rep for burning out barrels much faster than .308-
So the question then becomes, do you have money to burn?

How many rounds down a typical barrel does it take to burn out a 6.5 cm barrel? I have exactly 1000 down the tube of my savage now, after a few months of shooting it. Here are the results of the most recent range time with the 6.5 creed:

J5P4Bo1.jpg
This creed also prints 3" 10 shot groups at 440 yards, on command. It cuts through the wind better, with it's .646 bc bullet, than most every .308 bullet designed for the 308w cartridge. That's why I vote 6.5 creedmoor. It's just more versatile and better at long range. Doesn't do bad up close either...

I've also had several 308's and don't really care for the cartridge. Just not a fan, when the 30-06 generally does everything better. I hang on to one 308, only because its' what my AR10 is chambered for....

Also, as far as barrels "burning out", I could care less. Rifles now days are cheap. The rifle that shot the sub moa avg 10 shot groups above, was on sale for $319.00 a few weeks ago at Cabela's..
RpgJIlg.jpg

Just the way I see it...

Last Edited:
I know the decision has been made but I going to put my 2 cents in anyway. I have both and have shot both at distance. Both are pretty dang good. Both will do the job but I think the 6.5 does it better with less recoil. Yes, brakes help but they help for both calibers equally well. If you know your dope it really doesn't matter how much drop there is but wind is another subject. As far as how similar the data is... here are some numbers from my 308 and 6.5 loads.

At 1000 yards with a 20 mph full value wind (90 degrees to direction of fire).

6.5 --- 293" of drop 125" of wind correction
308 --- 401" of drop 195" of wind correction

What, why can't I just use that bullet in my Tikka superlite on my next deer hunt?
TInieXz.jpg

Oh, by the way. This is the second reason I chose 6.5 creedmoor... A 5.9 pound rifle shot those 10 shot groups above :cool:

I know the decision has been made but I going to put my 2 cents in anyway. I have both and have shot both at distance. Both are pretty dang good. Both will do the job but I think the 6.5 does it better with less recoil. Yes, brakes help but they help for both calibers equally well. If you know your dope it really doesn't matter how much drop there is but wind is another subject. As far as how similar the data is... here are some numbers from my 308 and 6.5 loads.

At 1000 yards with a 20 mph full value wind (90 degrees to direction of fire).

6.5 --- 293" of drop 125" of wind correction
308 --- 401" of drop 195" of wind correction

You left out retained energy. For those that think the 308 retains more energy past 600 yards, they'd surely better re-think on that one.. Military sniper or not... Just sayin.

I will also agree with @bsa1917hunter that barrel life isn't a real big issue. If you are really shooting enough to burn a barrel up, then a replacement barrel is probably not that hard to justify since you have already spent a lot of money on ammo to get to that point. I have about 1200 rounds through my 6.5 with no issues so far.

You left out retained energy. For those that think the 308 retains more energy past 600 yards, they'd surely better re-think on that one.. Military sniper or not... Just sayin.

I can get those numbers but don't know them off the top of my head. :)

EDIT: According to my numbers for the above listed loads.

565 ft/lb for the 308
762 ft/lb for the 6.5

That is energy at 1000 yards.

Last Edited:
How many rounds down a typical barrel does it take to burn out a 6.5 cm barrel? I have exactly 1000 down the tube of my savage now, after a few months of shooting it. Here are the results of the most recent range time with the 6.5 creed:

View attachment 564269
This creed also prints 3" 10 shot groups at 440 yards, on command. It cuts through the wind better, with it's .646 bc bullet, than most every .308 bullet designed for the 308w cartridge. That's why I vote 6.5 creedmoor. It's just more versatile and better at long range. Doesn't do bad up close either...

I've also had several 308's and don't really care for the cartridge. Just not a fan, when the 30-06 generally does everything better. I hang on to one 308, only because its' what my AR10 is chambered for....

Also, as far as barrels "burning out", I could care less. Rifles now days are cheap. The rifle that shot the sub moa avg 10 shot groups above, was on sale for $319.00 a few weeks ago at Cabela's..
View attachment 564270

Just the way I see it...
Man , respect on the groups . It's rough pulling the trigger good 10 times let alone the rest . I've been doing 10 shot groups and man right when I thought I didn't stink because 5 round groups were finally dialed ....

I can get those numbers but don't know them off the top of my head. :)

EDIT: According to my numbers for the above listed loads.

565 ft/lb for the 308
762 ft/lb for the 6.5

That is energy at 1000 yards.
Thanks buddy. Those numbers are what i wanted others to see. Who think the 308 retains more energy, based off of assumption or a story someone else told them.

Man , respect on the groups . It's rough pulling the trigger good 10 times let alone the rest . I've been doing 10 shot groups and man right when I thought I didn't stink because 5 round groups were finally dialed ....
Thanks buddy. I appreciate that. 10 shot groups are definitely harder to hold sub moa, for sure.

I voted for the .308 cartridge...For these reasons :
I have used the .308 cartridge at both close and far range...I know it works and works well.*
* Edit to add :
Actually if truth be known it was 7.62 NATO in the M21 and M24 series of rifles...both range work and when it really matter , type of work....

The .308 cartridge has been around for while now , again because it works and works well.

I know nothing about the 6.5 CM expect what I read about it, here on the forum and am reluctant to post a opinion on something that I really know nothing about.
Andy

ErsIII, thanks for the update. Thats good info right there.

The first numbers I posted in this thread are just what my Ballistic AE app told me for my loads at what ever weather it uses as a standard. The numbers from yesterday are real world which was a dang nice day to be shooting. :)

And for those that are interested, that is:

41.5 MOA for the 308
28.5 MOA for the 6.5

Last Edited:
The first numbers I posted in this thread are just what my Ballistic AE app told me for my loads at what ever weather it uses as a standard. The numbers from yesterday are real world from yesterday which was a dang nice day to be shooting. :)

And for those that are interested, that is:

41.5 MOA for the 308
28.5 MOA for the 6.5

You are telling me buddy. I took advantage of yesterday too!!!!!!

I voted for the .308 cartridge...For these reasons :
I have used the .308 cartridge at both close and far range...I know it works and works well.*
* Edit to add :
Actually if truth be known it was 7.62 NATO in the M21 and M24 series of rifles...both range work and when it really matter , type of work....

The .308 cartridge has been around for while now , again because it works and works well.

I know nothing about the 6.5 CM expect what I read about it, here on the forum and am reluctant to post a opinion on something that I really know nothing about.
Andy

Nothing wrong with that Andy. I know I appreciate your feedback and experience here. I will say this, the 308 is substantially a step up from the 556 when I shoot my AR platform rifles. After shooting the 308 AR10,
d5nbqyP.jpg
it just puts a smile on your face and you think to yourself, "this is bad azzed" :D One of my all time best 3 shot groups was fired with my AR10 308,
DcHjEYx.jpg
and it managed a 2.5" 5 shot group at 400 yards on steel. Only to best my bosses score of 3" with his 300wm using Berger VLD's. Now, when I pull out the 6.5 creedmoor, it is with full intention to drive tacks. It bests even my target grade 223 remingtons. Even my superlite Tikka at 5.9 pounds just shoots those 6.5 pills straight as can be. The 6.5 cartridge was developed with target shooting in mind, but has so many good attributes that it really shines as an all around do just about anything cartridge. With better energy and ballistics than the 308 winchester with a little less recoil and just a tad better accuracy. That's why my pick went to 6.5 creedmoor.

Nice shooting, bsa..!

Thanks buddy. I sent this to my highschool sweetheart the other day. She also shoots a 6.5 creedmoor:
6rgZE0B.jpg

She said "ohh", with one of those hearts in the eyes emojies.... I didn't realize until then, that its in the shape of a heart :oops::eek: . It wasn't intentional...:D:oops: . The creed shoots lights out for sure...

Thanks buddy. I sent this to my highschool sweetheart the other day. She also shoots a 6.5 creedmoor:
View attachment 564862

She said "ohh", with one of those hearts in the eyes emojies.... I didn't realize until then, that its in the shape of a heart :oops::eek: . It wasn't intentional...:D:oops: . The creed shoots lights out for sure...
You were supposed to say I shot the heart shape intentionally just for you. Great shooting here !!!

If you want to make sure something dies within 1000 yards.....308 win

If you want to make a hits at 1500 yards 6.5 Creedmoor. (.260 rem is actually better, but that's another topic).

6.5 Creedmoor is so stupidly trendy, people who don't know anything about rifle cartridges are murmuring words about it in the isles of sporting goods stores. Cute.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top