JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hit a paper plate at 300 yards all day long with a .308 when I owned one.

400-500 wouldn't have been much of a stretch - especially with a 30-06.

I guess some people are able and some are not.

Same argument bow hunters have about shots at or above 100 yards.

Some can and some can't. Don't take shots beyond your personal capability I guess...

Joseph, my good man, bow hunters that take shots that far at elk, deer, bear or any other big game animal are those that I deplore.
They're not hunters, they are slobs that wound animals that die a slow miserable death.
IF there any bow hunters that just happen to be reading this thread and this applies to you, then you need to reevaluate your ethics AND your skills, AND if that offends those that behave in such a way- too bad as they are what they are, slob hunters that have no business in the woods.
If you want to hunt at rifle distances, get a rifle (unless your a felon that can't) and hunt.

Way sorry my brothers for thread bashing, I apologize, but I also happen to be an avid archery hunter and it's a$$ clowns like that who give all hunters a bad stink,,,
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.:mad:

Not to brag but I'm a hell of a shot..

Started at 4 years old and never stopped.

It kinda seems like this thread has turned into an epeen contest so I figure I'd just come out and say it.

Joseph, my good man, bow hunters that take shots that far at elk, deer, bear or any other big game animal are those that I deplore.
They're not hunters, they are slobs that wound animals that die a slow miserable death.
IF there any bow hunters that just happen to be reading this thread and this applies to you, then you need to reevaluate your ethics AND your skills, AND if that offends those that behave in such a way- too bad as they are what they are, slob hunters that have no business in the woods.
If you want to hunt at rifle distances, get a rifle (unless your a felon that can't) and hunt.

Way sorry my brothers for thread bashing, I apologize, but I also happen to be an avid archery hunter and it's a$$ clowns like that who give all hunters a bad stink,,,

Much respect too you sir;)!

I know your 100 times the hunter I am so I would go with your advice over most anyone on here.

I call them the stick and release crowd. I used to work with a guy who would come in a few times during hunting season "bragging" how he stuck one and it got away. The last time he told me that I punched him in the gut. He never mentioned hunting again.

Where I would be hunting would be on a mountain in the timber, occasional clear cuts, etc. Am I looking for an excuse to get an AR upper for hunting, etc. yup!

Might I just punt and take the ol' reliable .06....probably.... I was looking for folks who actually have successfully hunted with .300. The Barnes and another round... Gemtech? have pretty good ballistics out to a couple hundred yards.

Yeah, I'd get the big game license deer/elk/bear/cougar but I think my chances of surprising a bear or cougar are pretty slim, I've got muley on my mind. Haven't decided on elk season yet....that will definitely be the 06. Unless my brother would loan me dad's old 300 Win mag...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

Brutus Out

Not to brag but I'm a hell of a shot..

Started at 4 years old and never stopped.

It kinda seems like this thread has turned into an epeen contest so I figure I'd just come out and say it.
I filled a doe tag at 200 yds with a 30-30...

If someone wants to practice well with what they've got the caliber doesn't matter so much. From what I see in ballistics Im not that impressed with the 300blk but it will do the job, I just wouldn't invest in it as a hunting caliber I think there are better options. Again just my opinion, if you practice with it and your good with it then use it, its all good with me.

Where I would be hunting would be on a mountain in the timber, occasional clear cuts, etc. Am I looking for an excuse to get an AR upper for hunting, etc. yup!

Might I just punt and take the ol' reliable .06....probably.... I was looking for folks who actually have successfully hunted with .300. The Barnes and another round... Gemtech? have pretty good ballistics out to a couple hundred yards.

Yeah, I'd get the big game license deer/elk/bear/cougar but I think my chances of surprising a bear or cougar are pretty slim, I've got muley on my mind. Haven't decided on elk season yet....that will definitely be the 06. Unless my brother would loan me dad's old 300 Win mag...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

Brutus Out

there you are. I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I think you should get the AR upper but still hunt with your -06. As if you need an excuse to get an AR... :)

I have a buttload of 300 BO and have succesfully hunted with it several times to include deer, coons, fox, pigs in TX and nutria. Everything but the deer was taken with subsonic ammo because I am first and foremost a silencer aficionado. Its a good mid range cartridge for out to 200 yards or more with the right loading. Its also a lot of fun to shoot and cheap to load for.

So, convince me. I've a rifle or two that could be easily be converted.
The data I'm finding so far doesn't warrant it though.
Using the Barnes Tac tx 110 grn with a muzzle zero, I'm finding -3.26 drop@100 yards,,acceptable.
But @200 it's showing -14.3, and @ 300 it's 35.52?
With a 50 yard zero (which appears to be more useful than muzzle or 25 yards) its@ 1.5 low @100. @ 150 it's 6" and @ 200 it's 18" low.
That's a big point blank window to quickly judge with ones eye.
@wired, do you know and can you give me the lbs per inch impact if possible @100 & 200 yards if possible?
I'm kind of intrigued, but it's going to take a bit of a sale to convince me that as a short to intermediate range hunting cartridge that it has much of an advantage over the .762x39, accept possibly as a subsonic silenced round in a bold rifle.
I like that I can convert one of my units, but does the tool up and cost warrant it?

It doesnt have any advantage over the 7.62X 39 other than a much greater range of bullets available for hand loading and far greater availability of brass since it uses 5.56 brass. Its a handloaders dream cartridge especially if you use or want to use a silencer. Nothing works and cycles better silenced than the 300 BO. Theres a reason AAC stole it from J.D. Jones. The main reason people switch to 300 BO is because all you need is a barrel swap on an AR and with the pistol length gas system there are very few cartridges that wont cycle the AR. In a bolt gun firing 240 grain .308's at 1000 FPS nothing is quieter through a good silencer. For supersonic use it rivals the 7.62 but will allow a much wider range of loadings because of the .308 bullet .

Remember you sight in at 100 or 200 yards so you really dont have a drop under your sight in distance. I sight my Ruger bolt gun in at 100 or 150 because thats normally the range I hunt at. As far as the ballistics theres all kinds of ballistics tables out there that will give you drop and energy at whatever distance you want. If you are looking for a 300 yard cartridge look somewhere else. Ive heard of people hitting gongs with the round at 600 but its just a parlor trick.

497p5B.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews